Johnny Russell

North_Stand_Ram

6 minutes ago, McLovin said:

He is a lot better over the course of the season. He was apparently of a different level for Newcastle last night against QPR, some of their fans called him Messi ? His work rate was a lot better than Russell's at the weekend that's for sure. He gave Anita a lot of help on that side which is why Olson had to keep passing it backwards to Shackell. You're right though that if he wouldn't solve our issues as they stem a lot deeper than 1 player.We probably would have played him at left back anyway!

He'd be collecting the ball between the centre backs where he can do the real damage.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a Ram fan - 50 years strong - and work in London in the week. So couldn't get to PP last night

I went with a Geordie pal of mine, who I do some business with,  to QPR last night - and I was shocked!!!

Newcastle fu@@in crucified QPR last night - 29 shots - and scored 6. They were 4 nil up after 56 mins - and to be honest could have been 9 or 10.

Geordies will walk this league. They were superb last night. I have tried to reflect on this and come up with why ?????

1 They have one of the best manager / coaches in the world.

2 Their work rate - athleticism was amazing - everybody knew their job

3 Shelvey pulled all the strings

4 the wing work - working on both flanks in twos - was fast electric.

They have a big squad, didn't even play Blake last night....they have bought well

I was sobbing into me beer in Shepards Bush market after............

We have a bit to do, Villa are warming up, Norwich going ok - cant see past the three relegated team currently.

45 minutes ago, irobinson said:

I'm a Ram fan - 50 years strong - and work in London in the week. So couldn't get to PP last night

I went with a Geordie pal of mine, who I do some business with,  to QPR last night - and I was shocked!!!

Newcastle fu@@in crucified QPR last night - 29 shots - and scored 6. They were 4 nil up after 56 mins - and to be honest could have been 9 or 10.

Geordies will walk this league. They were superb last night. I have tried to reflect on this and come up with why ?????

They have a big squad, didn't even play Blake last night....they have bought well

We have a bit to do, Villa are warming up, Norwich going ok - cant see past the three relegated team currently.

we will still be in the top 6 , have faith mate

4 hours ago, valleyram said:

we will still be in the top 6 , have faith mate

If you offered me a winter of not flirting with the bottom 6, I'd take it.

2 hours ago, CumbrianRam said:

Hope dies last, but need a turnaround soon, got to play a fair bit of catchup already.

Catchup is for wimps.

Chilli sauce is where it's at.

10 hours ago, irobinson said:

Yes and apart from some 90+ daftness and one well worked set piece WE gave them a run for their money .. So things are so bad after all .. 

We have spent around £4 million on anya who will run around a lot  but would he get the 10 goals and 8 assists that Russell does a season on average? Anya's record suggests he won't get any where near that but we paid basically the same as we were offered for Russell and it is no surprise that virtually every championship team would want Russell 

we are lucky to have Russell 

14 hours ago, Sparkle said:

We have spent around £4 million on anya who will run around a lot  but would he get the 10 goals and 8 assists that Russell does a season on average? Anya's record suggests he won't get any where near that but we paid basically the same as we were offered for Russell and it is no surprise that virtually every championship team would want Russell 

He was bloody awful last Saturday. Love the bloke, but I'd like to see him coming on for the last 20 minutes when it's stretched rather than starting

On 16/09/2016 at 09:38, Sparkle said:

It's a worthwhile point but lets introduce some nuance to this argument. The Russell that was here when we were flying hasn't been seen for a long time. Objectively having seen them on the pitch together 2 games in a row there's no contest. One player wants to get in to the box and beat his man, the other hides away in the middle of the pitch and puts in poor crosses from deep.

We're a club wanting promotion, not going to babysit players who decide they aren't up for it for a while.

2 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

It's a worthwhile point but lets introduce some nuance to this argument. The Russell that was here when we were flying hasn't been seen for a long time. 

He was good when wassall was in charge, including getting nominated for player of the month and scoring in the second leg against hull.  You know, back when we were playing to players strengths for a few games, and everyone suddenly started playing well again?

12 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

He was good when wassall was in charge, including getting nominated for player of the month and scoring in the second leg against hull.  You know, back when we were playing to players strengths for a few games, and everyone suddenly started playing well again?

You mean after we almost blew it in league games, blew it in the first leg then only decided to turn up when utterly humiliated on TV and way too late? Sorry but the teams that go up show the character without needing that type of situation.

He's been a great servant to the club, and I remember the hype when we signed him - but that's in the context of years of blood out a stone transfers and we'd actually spent some money on a desirable forward player. He's proved his worth for the £0.75m i think it was. He's not great, but it's the second division and Anya gets in the Scotland team ahead of him regularly, his form is often "iffy" but he has done the business for us more often than not.

£4.5 would have been about par for him, I'd have been sad to see him go, and I've always loved how every time we've signed a forward/winger/wide forward there's been a "is this the end for Russell" feeling, but he's still very much a first team player.

• 3 months later...
5 minutes ago, DCFC4LIFE said:

On this website it says that Brighton are going to try to sign Johnny Russell for 1.5 million. Not sure if it's true though.

As he's keeping anya out who cost £4 million, I think £1.5 million for russell is too low in today's market.

Archived