Star Wars

Day

If we're talking spoilers now that Leia scene was truly cringeworthy.  At first I thought it was a really cheap way to kill her off following her real life death.  Then the scene happened and I wish they had have killed her off.  It sticks in your mind and borderline spoils the whole movie.

I found Mark Hamill's acting to be okay, others are calling it great or Oscar worthy - never saw that but he did a good job.  Hes an amazing voice actor, okay actor.

Whilst I enjoyed the film on the whole now I've had chance to think about it it feels like the end of a football season. You know there is another one coming soon but it will just be more of the same - not sure where its going from here.  It will be interesting to see how they freshen the story up now.

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

Regarding the reviews...... I've never seen any of the films, but apparently there is one of them that even the fans don't really like. It was pointed out on radio five the other day, that even that one had five star reviews when it came out. 

The Clone Wars (ep2) is typically regarded by most as the worst of the lot. 

My lad and I watched all the movies in order prior to going to see The Last Jedi the other night, halfway through The Clone Wars I found some tidying up to do in the kitchen...

Spoiler alert.....

It Is another great movie...but why oh why did we have the flying princess....? It would have been the perfect moment to kill her off and let Laura Dern take over...

ray is rapidly becoming the best character in it and the fact that Kyle Ren I just a dim wit is brilliant..! 

I have to say I had tears in my eyes for a lot of it and was waiting to see how they were going to kil of Pricess Leiea..

the love interest was totally unbelievable 

10 hours ago, EssendonRam said:

If you hear the reason, please let me know.

That scene was so out of step with absolutely everything which had gone before....and everything which followed...

It was sooooo...there's no other word for it...stupid.

I like Star Wars but certainly no fanatic. The film is excellent but, frankly, convoluted and confusing at times. Needs a second watch.

One question: I've always laughed at Mark Hamill as an actor but all the reviews I read said his performance was excellent. I thought his acting has improved but the film works despite him IMHO. How did you view Hamill's performance?

More like a grumpy version of Mark Hamill than Luke Skywalker!

2 hours ago, cannable said:

More like a grumpy version of Mark Hamill than Luke Skywalker!

Yes, good call. I assumed they played it for laughs - a slightly less human version of Stadler and Waldorf from the Muppets - because they know Hamill, as an actor, has the emotional range of a tea towel.

On 15/12/2017 at 09:43, maxjam said:

My lad and I watched all the movies in order prior to going to see The Last Jedi the other night, halfway through The Clone Wars I found some tidying up to do in the kitchen...

????? The Phantom Menace was the biggest let-down ever. Had couple of friends saying it was great straight after..but clearly that was just hope!!

20 hours ago, Chester40 said:

????? The Phantom Menace was the biggest let-down ever. Had couple of friends saying it was great straight after..but clearly that was just hope!!

Ah well tbh they are both pretty bad and the least liked of the series.  PM at least has a couple of memorable scenes and Darth Maul. Personal choice as to which is actually the worst I guess.

I’d second The Phantom Menace is the worst and I thought that’s what most people thought. All the prequels are rubbish though, 3 being the best of them. I’ve learned to accept them for the lore  they offer but I kind of have to do a mental squint when I think about them.

If people say ‘The Clone Wars’ is the worst film they’re probably talking about the cartoon film.

Just seen this one. Really liked it. Need a bit more time to ponder it though. What I will say is I heard it was going to be surprising but I guessed most of the things that happen.

On 12/15/2017 at 20:43, maxjam said:

If I'd been there, I'd have watched you clean the kitchen....in fact, I would have been pestering you to start cleaning the kitchen...

It says a lot that you, in fact, have the title wrong...and I can't be bothered correcting it...

5 hours ago, EssendonRam said:

If I'd been there, I'd have watched you clean the kitchen....in fact, I would have been pestering you to start cleaning the kitchen...

It says a lot that you, in fact, have the title wrong...and I can't be bothered correcting it...

I do know the real name of the film but everyone knew what I meant and tbh it was a bit quicker to type :p

It would be interesting to see what people thought the worst of the prequels was tbh, I always figured it was that clone film as Phantom Menace at least had Maul (woefully underused character) and podracing.  

Just got back from watching The Last Jedi again and despite my initial high praise I am now conflicted.  Whilst its a great film with some excellent set pieces and acting as a Star Wars fan its kinda left me underwhelmed and uncertain of its future.  I honestly can't give it a score out of 10, I think it will greatly depend on the direction ep9 takes.

2 hours ago, maxjam said:

I do know the real name of the film but everyone knew what I meant and tbh it was a bit quicker to type :p

It would be interesting to see what people thought the worst of the prequels was tbh, I always figured it was that clone film as Phantom Menace at least had Maul (woefully underused character) and podracing.  

Just got back from watching The Last Jedi again and despite my initial high praise I am now conflicted.  Whilst its a great film with some excellent set pieces and acting as a Star Wars fan its kinda left me underwhelmed and uncertain of its future.  I honestly can't give it a score out of 10, I think it will greatly depend on the direction ep9 takes.

What did Maul do that you like so much?

I don’t know whether it was the right decision to bring him back from the dead but Dave Filoni and Sam Witwer certainly gave us a great character in the animated shows. He was nothing but disappointing in The Phantom Menace though. 

Even the lightsaber fight people say was good was just Morris dancing.

Born in the late 70s so Star Wars was a way of life as a kid. Love the first 3 and the nostalgia around them. Learned to enjoy the prequels for what they were, a chance to see something similar but new. Loved Force Awakens as it captured the essence of the original films and set us up nicely for something new.

However I feel pretty insulted by the latest film, Rhian Johnson ignored or wasted any threads from the last film (Luke's return, Reys parentage) and made what in effect was a comedy that purposely disappoints. 

5 minutes in after the prank call I feared the worst and so many ludicrous things followed - ironing, slot machine droids, flying people, dead characters changing the weather, moof milking and so many fake outs. The real affront was tossing the sabre over his shoulder.

Glad to see JJ Abrams back for Episode 9, hopefully he can get it back on track. I expect he will undo as much as he can.

My order

1 Star Wars

2 Jedi  (Epic ending and I was 6 at the time)

3 Empire (Don't like that it isn't self contained)

4 Force Awakens (Feels right and nice reintroduction of things)

5 Revenge of the Sith (Less childish than other prequels)

6 Phantom Menace (Lesser of evils plus great theme and Darth Maul)

7 Rogue One (Improving with rewatches but not over impressed)

8 Attack of the clones (Only gets worse, and the cgi looks dated already)

9 Last Jedi (A Rhian Johnson film with Star Wars characters, not a Star Wars film directed by Rhian Johnson)

Watched it last night & not sure how I feel about it yet.

No spoliers but felt there were too many bits of script copied & pasted straight from previous SW films & too many illogical situations just in there to create suspense.

Great to see Carrie Fisher one last time but I just find Kylo Ren really annoying.

Snoke's ship was cool, though.

Archived