Star Wars

Day

On 07/02/2018 at 09:57, Paul71 said:

Going to get like Marvel etc if they arent careful. Will be TV series and everyting.

That’s not a bad thing. Marvel have done a very good job of their shared universe, every time you think they’ve added a character too many, or a series too many, they’ve mostly knocked it out of the park (with just a couple of missteps) and they even manage to mostly get the continuity in sync across multiple series on multiple networks. That’s some fete. 

The same people that achieved that are all on the Disney payroll, so a shared Star Wars universe is probably in the best hands (better hands than Warner brothers or Sony). 

Not that this is new to Disney, they’ve been doing it for years - Tarzan = Anna & Elsas brother = Rapunzels cousin. 

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

That’s not a bad thing. Marvel have done a very good job of their shared universe, every time you think they’ve added a character too many, or a series too many, they’ve mostly knocked it out of the park (with just a couple of missteps) and they even manage to mostly get the continuity in sync across multiple series on multiple networks. That’s some fete. 

The same people that achieved that are all on the Disney payroll, so a shared Star Wars universe is probably in the best hands (better hands than Warner brothers or Sony). 

Not that this is new to Disney, they’ve been doing it for years - Tarzan = Anna & Elsas brother = Rapunzels cousin. 

Marvel have yeah, but i dunno, Star Wars just doesnt seem right for that sort of thing. We will see of course.

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

Marvel have yeah, but i dunno, Star Wars just doesnt seem right for that sort of thing. We will see of course.

Star Wars is based in a whole galaxy though, so you can’t tell stories that are totally unrelated to anything else, like personal stories that happen to be going on in the midst of an intergalactic war in the back ground. And there’s loads of history to mine. You can have dark, grown up stories, kiddie friendly stories, prime time TVs series, cartoons, just like Marcel really.

Theres already books, comics, tv series and all sorts that can be adapted, and work within the cannon. So I think star wars, more than most other things, really does lend itself to an extended universe model. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/27/2018 at 20:03, StringerBell said:

I’ve always used the example of time travel in Star Wars as a way of explaining a film/book etc as going too far in making it hard for an audience to suspend their disbelief.

On Rebels they just introduced time travel.

Time travel now exists in Star Wars.

Although in a way it always existed as there are space craft with light speed travel. They just ignored any time travel anomalies that might have occurred.

But I agree - having it as a "thing" is opening a door to a whole load of nonsense

55 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Although in a way it always existed as there are space craft with light speed travel. They just ignored any time travel anomalies that might have occurred.

But I agree - having it as a "thing" is opening a door to a whole load of nonsense

I thought that too. If you have light speed travel, time travel is probably easier to achieve. 

1 hour ago, StivePesley said:

Rey can travel back, assassinate Rian Johnson and save Luke ?

It was actually a really awesome episode (with Ian McDiarmid!) and the way they introduced it was kind of well done. It’s just weird to me.

5 hours ago, StringerBell said:

Rey can travel back, assassinate Rian Johnson and save Luke ?

It was actually a really awesome episode (with Ian McDiarmid!) and the way they introduced it was kind of well done. It’s just weird to me.

Travel forward, happened in a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away ?

• 2 weeks later...
Sith Happens

Have read the Last Jedi Novel now.

Some extra stuff in there, like a memorial for Han etc.

Does seem like they have added stuff to clear up some of the issues people have raised like the bombs dropping in gravity (magnetic), and Luke not needing to be told what Chewie is saying.

Quite enjoyed it. Sounds like the next movie is to be set a few years in the distance so hope we get a few canon books to fill the gap.

Sith Happens
8 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

What was the explanation? He learned Wookiee whilst in exile?

No. The point was made that Rey told him what Chewie said in the film, but he understood Chewie anyway. How would Rey know more than Luke who had known Chewie for 30 plus years.

9 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Have read the Last Jedi Novel now.

Some extra stuff in there, like a memorial for Han etc.

Does seem like they have added stuff to clear up some of the issues people have raised like the bombs dropping in gravity (magnetic), and Luke not needing to be told what Chewie is saying.

Quite enjoyed it. Sounds like the next movie is to be set a few years in the distance so hope we get a few canon books to fill the gap.

Yeah they’ve obviously left right around the new era mostly alone apart from a few film tie in books and the Poe Dameron comic. 

Bloodline by Claudia Gray set 6 years prior to the Force Awakens is a good book. Focuses on Leia and her political career, investigations into the manouvering of the First Order and how the Resistance came into being. In fact Claudi Grays a bit of a star in the new canon. I think all three of her books so far have been quality, even though two of them are young adult novels.

I still want an explanation as to why the Republic don’t take the First Order seriously at the time of TFA though. There’s a certain amount of explanation in Bloodline, certain systems/senators are secretly First Order. But by the time of TFA the First Order are pretty blatant.

’Hey you see that massive ship that looks remarkably like an Imperial Star Destroyer swarming with smaller ships that look remarkably like Imperial TIE fighters? And all of those people that look remarkably like Imperial Storm Troopers? Do you think we should worry about that?’

’Nah it’s cosplay innit’

Sith Happens
3 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

Yeah they’ve obviously left right around the new era mostly alone apart from a few film tie in books and the Poe Dameron comic. 

Bloodline by Claudia Gray set 6 years prior to the Force Awakens is a good book. Focuses on Leia and her political career, investigations into the manouvering of the First Order and how the Resistance came into being. In fact Claudi Grays a bit of a star in the new canon. I think all three of her books so far have been quality, even though two of them are young adult novels.

I still want an explanation as to why the Republic don’t take the First Order seriously at the time of TFA though. There’s a certain amount of explanation in Bloodline, certain systems/senators are secretly First Order. But by the time of TFA the First Order are pretty blatant.

’Hey you see that massive ship that looks remarkably like an Imperial Star Destroyer swarming with smaller ships that look remarkably like Imperial TIE fighters? And all of those people that look remarkably like Imperial Storm Troopers? Do you think we should worry about that?’

’Nah it’s cosplay innit’

There is lots of gaps i think. From TFA to the end of the TLJ it supposed to be like 4 days, but from blowing up some planets in TFA at the start of TLJ it says 'The First Order' reigns, how can they be in such good shape so quick having had Starkiller base destroyed.

I think showing Luke at the end of TFA was a mistake...TLJ should have started a couple of years after TFA...or Rey should have been with Luke a couple of years, would explain how she honed her talents rather than going from living in a desert to being an expert with a lightsabre within a few days.

I like both films but dont think they go together that well.

Still think the way Luke was written was poor. I liken they way Luke was portayed a little like Kirk in Generations, massive opportunity missed.

55 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

There is lots of gaps i think. From TFA to the end of the TLJ it supposed to be like 4 days, but from blowing up some planets in TFA at the start of TLJ it says 'The First Order' reigns, how can they be in such good shape so quick having had Starkiller base destroyed.

I think there’s that many of them Starkiller Base wasn’t a big deal. It was Hux’s pet project but I don’t think Snoke was that bothered about it.

I think they’re in the process of a full military invasion of the galaxy and that’s why no one comes to help at the end when they send a distress call. Although that nobody came to help or witness what happened begs the question of how the story of Luke’s heroics got out so that broom kid and his friends heard about it.

56 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I think showing Luke at the end of TFA was a mistake...TLJ should have started a couple of years after TFA...or Rey should have been with Luke a couple of years, would explain how she honed her talents rather than going from living in a desert to being an expert with a lightsabre within a few days.

I can see why Rian Johnson wanted to set it straight after. We all want to see what happens immediately after. But for Abrams fantastic cliffhanger it’s kind of ruined the middle chapter a bit perhaps and the character growth that would seem more palatable to some If it was set a bit later. 

Ive been thinking there should be four films rather than three because it basically seems like there’s not going to be a proper middle chapter due to these two films talking place so close to each other.

59 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I like both films but dont think they go together that well.

Still think the way Luke was written was poor. I liken they way Luke was portayed a little like Kirk in Generations, massive opportunity missed.

I’ve not seen it again yet. I’m going to watch it a second time this weekend and see what I think. I appreciate from a storytelling point of view what they did with Luke but it wasn’t what I wanted. Luke Skywalker is basically the modern day King Arthur to a lot of us. He’s the archetypal hero in the modern age (Harry Potter can sod off) and it’s a bit of a gut punch to see what happened to him. I do like his final stand though.

Kirks a really good comparison, left me feeling similarly too.

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

I think there’s that many of them Starkiller Base wasn’t a big deal. It was Hux’s pet project but I don’t think Snoke was that bothered about it.

I think they’re in the process of a full military invasion of the galaxy and that’s why no one comes to help at the end when they send a distress call. Although that nobody came to help or witness what happened begs the question of how the story of Luke’s heroics got out so that broom kid and his friends heard about it.

I can see why Rian Johnson wanted to set it straight after. We all want to see what happens immediately after. But for Abrams fantastic cliffhanger it’s kind of ruined the middle chapter a bit perhaps and the character growth that would seem more palatable to some If it was set a bit later. 

Ive been thinking there should be four films rather than three because it basically seems like there’s not going to be a proper middle chapter due to these two films talking place so close to each other.

I’ve not seen it again yet. I’m going to watch it a second time this weekend and see what I think. I appreciate from a storytelling point of view what they did with Luke but it wasn’t what I wanted. Luke Skywalker is basically the modern day King Arthur to a lot of us. He’s the archetypal hero in the modern age (Harry Potter can sod off) and it’s a bit of a gut punch to see what happened to him. I do like his final stand though.

Kirks a really good comparison, left me feeling similarly too.

For me at least Han solo did stuff,  we had the fun stuff when he met red and find...him on the falcon, meeting leia, starkiller Base.

I would still like to have seen Han again though, ford signed up for 3 films and JJ only decided late on to kill him.

With carrie Fisher sadly passing away they have left a huge gap for episode 9.

I like the new cast, but I really need some major influence from the old in ep 9, not sure those left like chewie, 3po and r2 cut it.

We will get a 10 minute cameo from Mark Hamill that's all.

That said I still can't wait,  hope the way they deal with leia isn't lame.

Ep 9 is supposed to bring the 3 trilogies together...so be interesting how they do it...

18 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

For me at least Han solo did stuff,  we had the fun stuff when he met red and find...him on the falcon, meeting leia, starkiller Base.

I would still like to have seen Han again though, ford signed up for 3 films and JJ only decided late on to kill him.

With carrie Fisher sadly passing away they have left a huge gap for episode 9.

I like the new cast, but I really need some major influence from the old in ep 9, not sure those left like chewie, 3po and r2 cut it.

We will get a 10 minute cameo from Mark Hamill that's all.

That said I still can't wait,  hope the way they deal with leia isn't lame.

Ep 9 is supposed to bring the 3 trilogies together...so be interesting how they do it...

I didn’t know that about Harrison Ford signing on for 3.

I’m in favour of recasting Leia as weird as it would be.

One way that they could allude to all three eras is something I really hope to see. And that’s that I hope Luke isn’t the only force ghost in the film. I want the whole gang, Qui-Gonn, Yoda, Obiwan even Hayden Christensen as Anakin. There was some interesting ideas thrown about in the concept art book for TFA with some kind of Anakin/Vader split Force ghost. We could see Anakin talking to Rey and Ben Solo.

I also think Luke should teach Leia how to become one with the force. There’s no reason I can think of that he wouldn’t visit her and at least offer to do so. She’s clearly naturally strong enough in the force (Yoda actually wanted to train her and not Luke!) Doubt this will happen because people seem to be resigned to her getting killed off in the opening crawl which I think would be ****.

I’d love Lando to come back in it but I don’t think Billy Dee is that well these days. Only done voice work in recent years.

Sith Happens
20 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

I didn’t know that about Harrison Ford signing on for 3.

I’m in favour of recasting Leia as weird as it would be.

One way that they could allude to all three eras is something I really hope to see. And that’s that I hope Luke isn’t the only force ghost in the film. I want the whole gang, Qui-Gonn, Yoda, Obiwan even Hayden Christensen as Anakin. There was some interesting ideas thrown about in the concept art book for TFA with some kind of Anakin/Vader split Force ghost. We could see Anakin talking to Rey and Ben Solo.

I also think Luke should teach Leia how to become one with the force. There’s no reason I can think of that he wouldn’t visit her and at least offer to do so. She’s clearly naturally strong enough in the force (Yoda actually wanted to train her and not Luke!) Doubt this will happen because people seem to be resigned to her getting killed off in the opening crawl which I think would be ****.

I’d love Lando to come back in it but I don’t think Billy Dee is that well these days. Only done voice work in recent years.

They all signed for 3.

Carries family have given permission for her likeness to be used, I would even if it's just via hologram...that will excuse the cgi.

Let's face it she has the face for cgi, right or wrong.

Maybe we might get jar jar back as a force ghost lol

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

They all signed for 3.

Carries family have given permission for her likeness to be used, I would even if it's just via hologram...that will excuse the cgi.

Let's face it she has the face for cgi, right or wrong.

Maybe we might get jar jar back as a force ghost lol

Doubt it he’s a sith

Archived