Chris Maguire

Pudding Jack

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember Alex McLeish being asked about him and Bryson when we played Villa in pre-season. His reply was that Bryson was a great signing and that Maguire would frustrate a lot of the time, but that he had the ability to do things that could change games - it would appear that he was spot on. Unfortunately it seems that Nigel or his scouts didn't pick up on this prior to signing him....or else thought that they could 'change' him....(and so far, have failed in spectacular fashion)

Games like tonight I wish Clough had the balls to give the lad a go and put out an attacking line up, Leicester will be expecting us to sit back trying to defend a 0-0 draw, even Buxton 5 minutes from time won't come as a surprise to them.

We might give the ball away in silly positions, we might concede 5 goals but let's try and score 4

Clough won't play him because he doesn't cover 10 miles in a match, we want effort, effort,effort not quality, quality, quality!

From what I saw of him earlier this season he doesn't seem to have much of either.

Having said that we're obviously struggling upfront. Can't hurt to give him a go.

I think the one place in our team that we can afford to have a player like this is upfront.

If Clough is so adamant on players not giving the ball away why don't we go out there and play football instead of hopeless punts? It's a load of ******** in my opinion, we are so wasteful in possession already we could easily afford to try someone who might win us a game from nothing.

Callum Ball went through a patch of retaining the ball well but apart from that not one of our strikers can do it well.

I think the one place in our team that we can afford to have a player like this is upfront.

If Clough is so adamant on players not giving the ball away why don't we go out there and play football instead of hopeless punts? It's a load of ******** in my opinion, we are so wasteful in possession already we could easily afford to try someone who might win us a game from nothing.

Callum Ball went through a patch of retaining the ball well but apart from that not one of our strikers can do it well.

Exactly we need a spark I imagine he would link up fairly well with Ward given the chance.

With him being in the shadows for so long being put in the team tonight in a supposed local derby might get the lad going.

What's to lose? Go for it Clough and give us something to cheer about. If we play him and it does not work Clough can always bring Bucko on at half-time to shut up shop and head and kick the living daylights out of the ball.

I don't believe six games is enough to judge a player. Even were it six full games. Clough has given players more chances who have been consistanly poorer, he is stubborn. Would Maguire bring anything to advance the team? I do not know. It seems Maguire has annoyed Clough and to my mind no matter what he does for the reserves or in training, will not be picked. If I was Maguire, I would think why bother trying. Clough and his staff spent long enough chasing Maguire over the summer, so it wasn't a risky signing.

I think Clough has done an ok job. But this favouritism of certain players and the freezing out of others drives me insane. I would like Clough to be more willing to take risks, but if he doesn't want his players to, why will he?

If we dismiss performances in the reserves then what's the point? Is it a case of "Play great in the reserves but it won't matter"

No nothing like that it was in the seniors cup against a team that are not in the reserve league. If they perform against the teams in the reserve league fair enough but when not it is difficult to say how well they played as they Should be better than the players they were against.

• 3 weeks later...

Is this a joke..... I just heard Maguire has gone to Pompey on loan ?!?!

Are they still trading ?

What is NC up to ?

Maguire must be

a/ Mad as a hatter

b/ Deperate to leave

c/ Cant read....

i thought pompey were banned from signing players.

EDIT: guess not it's on the OS now.

Its definately official, i just dont get it, and in the article about NC in Scotland looking at Daly etc he was quoted as saying that Maguire was still in his plans........ he didnt specify plans to play him, maybe plans to offload.........

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10270~2642280,00.html

Derby County striker Chris Maguire has joined fellow npower Championship side Portsmouth on a 28-day emergency loan deal.

The former Aberdeen forward completed the relevant paperwork this afternoon and is available to feature in Pompey's trip to Brighton & Hove Albion on Saturday.

Manager Nigel Clough said: "With four strikers - Steven Davies, Theo Robinson, Nathan Tyson and Callum Ball - ahead of Chris in the pecking order and young Mason Bennett very much in our plans, his first-team chances have been limited this season.

"This loan move will allow Chris to get some regular first-team football under his belt at Championship level. He's still a young player getting to know this division and we believe the loan move will be a good thing for him to get some more experience of English first-team football."

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/javaImages/15/e0/0,,10270%7E10149909,00

South Coast Switch: Chris Maguire has joined Portsmouth for a period of 28 days

Maguire put pen-to-paper on a three-year deal with Derby last summer as one of ten summer signings by manager Nigel Clough and although the Scottish striker was out of contract with the Dons, the Rams had to pay the SPL outfit an undisclosed 'training compensation' fee for his services as he was under the age of 24.

Since his summer move south of the border Maguire has featured in eight games this season, scoring twice in a Derby shirt. His first, and only, league goal for the club came in October's 3-1 win over Portsmouth at Pride Park Stadium.

The 23-year-old is a former Scotland under-21 international and has been capped twice at full international level for his country; making his debut for the Tartan Army in their Carling Nations Cup triumph over Northern Ireland in February 2011.

Portsmouth, who are in administration, find themselves at the foot of the Championship table on 26 points following a ten point deduction and Michael Appleton's men are six points adrift of safety with twelve games left to play.

Archived