Chris Maguire

Pudding Jack

We have not won a game whilst he has been on the pitch, it did not work and once again I say again this was a mistake that cannot be argued with, my point was not that Clough should be hung drawn and quartered because of this but in response to the poster who said that putting him in the team was the right thing to do, and cannot admit that NC got it wrong.

Carrol is not our player, if there was a problem in team getting the measure of us why not work with the current squad rather than bring in someone who wont be here long term as we have bob hope of signing him, so once again I cant see the logic behind his loan move.

If we were looking to put a little more passing ability into the team then yes, putting him into the team was definitely the correct thing to do. As he didn't quite cut it it, then taking him out of the starting eleven was definitely the right thing to do. Makes sense to me!!!

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we were looking to put a little more passing ability into the team then yes, putting him into the team was definitely the correct thing to do. As he didn't quite cut it it, then taking him out of the starting eleven was definitely the right thing to do. Makes sense to me!!!

Glad it does to someone, I find the whole thing as baffling as your post, we played 8 games with someone in the team that had never played in this league before, whilst that player was on the pitch we didnt win a game, the previous 6 league games we hadnt lost and you still say it made sense to you, bizzare :-)

Is there a correct way to control the ball? Fair enough if Maguire can't control a ball for toffee and insists on using the outside of his boot, but if he's got decent control why would you try and change that..

Cristiano Ronaldo has a ballstriking ability never seen before in Football.. Is he hitting the ball wrong? Isn't it normal to either use a sidefoot bend or a 'lace' smash when hitting a freekick? Shouldn't they try and change his technique or drop him until he starts doing it normally again?

If Chris Maguire has decent control, why try and change that?.. Wouldn't you want to try and perfect something rather than change it?

Perhaps he can't trap a bag of cement with his first touch and he makes Tysons first touch look like Iniesta.. Then Clough would have every reason to tell him to change..

Glad it does to someone, I find the whole thing as baffling as your post, we played 8 games with someone in the team that had never played in this league before, whilst that player was on the pitch we didnt win a game, the previous 6 league games we hadnt lost and you still say it made sense to you, bizzare :-)

It made sense to try a player with passing ability who is well thought of at a much higher level / standard than ours. It didn't work out for the best, no big deal, it was rectified. It may work at a later date. It is very easy to jump on things retrospectively.

It made sense to try a player with passing ability who is well thought of at a much higher level / standard than ours. It didn't work out for the best, no big deal, it was rectified. It may work at a later date. It is very easy to jump on things retrospectively.

My daughter decided she would take a short cut under the bed on Monday to get to the bathroom, she banged her head and started crying, on Tuesday she did the same thing again same result started crying, today she decided to walk around the bed again, she is 2.

Is there a correct way to control the ball? Fair enough if Maguire can't control a ball for toffee and insists on using the outside of his boot, but if he's got decent control why would you try and change that..

Cristiano Ronaldo has a ballstriking ability never seen before in Football.. Is he hitting the ball wrong? Isn't it normal to either use a sidefoot bend or a 'lace' smash when hitting a freekick? Shouldn't they try and change his technique or drop him until he starts doing it normally again?

If Chris Maguire has decent control, why try and change that?.. Wouldn't you want to try and perfect something rather than change it?

Perhaps he can't trap a bag of cement with his first touch and he makes Tysons first touch look like Iniesta.. Then Clough would have every reason to tell him to change..

To be fair to Cristiano, Bris, he has scored about a million goals and proven that his way is fairly handy.

As for Chris and his control, I'm picturing the way you'd have to hold your foot to control a ball with the inside of it. I always felt that to control a ball better you've almost got to "soften" your foot - let it take the pace out of the ball. In my opinion If someone ***** a ball at you from 5-10 yards and you try to control it that way fairly often out of ten it will bounce a mile away from you or worse it'll have your ankle twisted.

For me the way he does or doesnt control the ball isn't really the issue - it's pretty clear the lad has got some talent.

The issue for me is not following your managers instructions or requests.

Bearing in mind the control thing is only internet chat from a fan who said he spoke to Chris.

Personally I hope he comes back after a few games for them and plays the last few games for us in the hole.

My daughter decided she would take a short cut under the bed on Monday to get to the bathroom, she banged her head and started crying, on Tuesday she did the same thing again same result started crying, today she decided to walk around the bed again, she is 2.

I am with your daughter on this one "nothing ventured nothing gained". Your daughter now knows that she has to walk around the bed, but she was right to try and find a different way. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Is she your older sister?

Yes she is both my daughter and older sister???!!!

I'm sure I'm missing something here that you will enlighten me on, but I'm confused, although was that playground humour that has gone over my head in old age :-)

No way on earth can/should/would a footballer at this level be told how to control a ball.

If he is, the manager who bought him is as crap as the player.

Maguire doesn't run around enough. It's that simple. A lot of fans don't like Steve Davies because he doesn't run around enough. Clough likes people who run around.

Personally if I wanted to see running around I'd take me dog on the park every Saturday.

As for what players do in training;

Some players are poor trainers. I imagine Commons and Taraabt to be poor. I used to play for a club where we had a lad that missed training whenever he could get away with it. When he turned up he was lazy.

Did we resent him? Was he bad for morale?

No. Because we aren't robots or players on football manager. We are people with actual communication skills.

I trained hard because I wanted to. Because it helped me.

When he played on a Sunday, we were twice the side as we were without him. I would probably have felt better if he deserved his talent and wasn't such a nob. But I felt pretty happy when we were picking up 3pts with him instead of 1pt without him.

Running around might be valiant..... But give these lads a promotion and see if they prefer that feeling.

Alpha i listened to his post match interview earlier and their commentator said you did a lot of chasing down defenders etc.. and he said that's what i do , ask anyone at Aberdeen. Also the pompey fans i have spoke to said his work rate is quality...

No way on earth can/should/would a footballer at this level be told how to control a ball.

If he is, the manager who bought him is as crap as the player.

Couldn't agree more. Were it such a fundamental problem then it would have been sorted by now or he would not be playing at this level.

Strange things happen....this Maguire thing is certainly one of them.

Scotland international striker Chris Maguire says he is relishing every minute of his loan spell at Portsmouth.

Maguire scored his first Pompey goal in Tuesday's 4-1 win over Birmingham City and the 23-year-old Derby loanee believes the foundations for a promising partnership have been laid.

"Luke Varney and I know what each other wants and hopefully we can bag a few more goals," he told BBC Radio Solent.

"The manager has given me a chance here and I'm loving every minute."

Maguire, who is on a one-month deal at Fratton Park, joined Derby from Aberdeen last summer and has scored two goals in eight appearances for the Rams.

Portsmouth fans have appreciated his application as well as his touch in front of goal, and Maguire said: "Anybody who has followed my career since Aberdeen knows I close defenders down and work hard for the team.

"Although I'm only here on loan it doesn't mean I'm not going to do that to help the team.

"As a striker to score a goal is always nice, it gives you a big lift, but I'm more delighted for the team and the fans. I've played the last two games, I'm here to help the team, and hopefully I can continue to do that."

Maguire won his first full Scotland cap in a 2-1 Carling Nations Cup victory over Northern Ireland in February 2011.

The win against Birmingham saw financially stricken Portsmouth climb to within five points of Championship safety.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17464965

You support Clough if you want Mcsilks but don't insult peoples intelligence.

I am not insulting your intelligence. I'm merely saying that what you're writing is nonsense.

Maguire has been given a chance in the team and failed to impress. Clough feels he is better served gaining match sharpness elsewhere and I respect that decision.

As for Addison, if he isn't a shining light playing in a lower league then why do you think he could do a job for us? Will his form miraculously come back?

We have a very tight knit group of players who out their all in week in week out. If any player doesn't buy into that system then get rid.

Archived