Chris Maguire

Pudding Jack

Just seen Maguires goal and assists for Pompey my oh my he's got real quality. PS This is not against New Mills in the Senior Cup. Makes my blood boil him and Addison have gone on loan. Still we beat Forest but could never see us getting 7.

Really, why !?

You don't see him in training and you don't know what goes on behind the scenes.

Why is Clough being berated on here once again when nobody knows the facts.

Maguire scoring goals and playing well for Pompey in his loan deal is a win win for Derby.

As for Adisson....well he hasn't shown any kind of form for 3 years now so on what evidence do you or any other fans base the fact that he might be good enough to play for us!

Clough knows exactly what he is doing. He has done a very good job with the club and I support each and every decision he makes as they are all in the interests of the club.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really, why !?

You don't see him in training and you don't know what goes on behind the scenes.

Why is Clough being berated on here once again when nobody knows the facts.

Maguire scoring goals and playing well for Pompey in his loan deal is a win win for Derby.

As for Adisson....well he hasn't shown any kind of form for 3 years now so on what evidence do you or any other fans base the fact that he might be good enough to play for us!

Clough knows exactly what he is doing. He has done a very good job with the club and I support each and every decision he makes as they are all in the interests of the club.

You support his decision to play Carroll?

'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

You support his decision to play Carroll?

'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Absolutely. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Carroll came with a reputation for being a fantastic passer of the ball and someone who can create. Under different circumstances i.e a team that is playing with confidence, Carroll my well flourish.

Absolutely. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Carroll came with a reputation for being a fantastic passer of the ball and someone who can create. Under different circumstances i.e a team that is playing with confidence, Carroll my well flourish.

Amazing that you quote Maguire as not being good enough because Clough sees him in training every day, yet Carroll is different because he came with a reputation, did he not see him in training, or are you going to tell me that he was great in training but just couldnt produce when it mattered ?

Your right though, nothing was gained by playing him, we struggled throughout and it was not until Hendrick and Bryson was restored to the centre of the park did we start to look like winning again.

So I guess what you are saying is that Clough brings in his players only based on reputation ?

The simple fact is (unless anyone knows differently, and should then say) - no one knows what goes in behind the scenes.

There will be a reason Maguire isn't playing for Derby aside from his ability, I would imagine. Could be his attitude, his work rate, maybe he hasn't settled in the area - anything. If that is the case, then I'm glad he's not round the younger players who are trying to carve out a career for themselves.

If it's on ability alone, then I think Clough is wrong, and should be taken to task. But I don't know, so I can't really comment.

Either way, it's a shaky signing, and if he doesn't come back, it's another transfer fee wasted when we are all about savings at the moment.

What would be good is a reason why he's been sent away. He said he sent Legdzins out to get first team experience, and I'm sure if wasn't anything negative towards Maguire he'd have come out and said the same thing, but I do think we deserve to know.

Amazing that you quote Maguire as not being good enough because Clough sees him in training every day, yet Carroll is different because he came with a reputation, did he not see him in training, or are you going to tell me that he was great in training but just couldnt produce when it mattered ?

Your right though, nothing was gained by playing him, we struggled throughout and it was not until Hendrick and Bryson was restored to the centre of the park did we start to look like winning again.

So I guess what you are saying is that Clough brings in his players only based on reputation ?

I am struggling to work out how you get to your comments from what McSilks actually wrote.

Ive spoken to Maguire just as a Rams Fan nothing more and he wants to stay at Derby no doubt about it . I asked him why he controls the ball with the outside of the foot which the Manager and coaches dont like . He said he has always done it (the manager and coaches have asked him not to do it for 6 months) and didnt think it was wrong to do it . I say he has brilliant control better than any other player in the Rams squad but what do i know . He set up Pompeys 3rd goal last night with brilliant control and a lovely through ball . After he played well in a 3-1 WIN against Pompey and scored in 1 of only 2 starts for rams in CCC he played against Cardiff and was hauled off . I said did you have a strop when that happened he said no he didnt . He scored against the shrews in th cup and played well . Hes never started for Derby since . Hes a SCOTTISH intrernational and has done well wherever he has been . ive watched him in the reserves try is hardest even when kicked like hell by the opposition hes always tried and scored and made goals. He set up a hatrick for ADDISON AGAINST New Mills and hit a wonderful free kick which was saved by Mills keeper brilliantly. He would like a chance at Derby the Manager is not giving him one end of.

Sorry but he was dreadful against Shrewsbury despite scoring and has started league games since then. End of.

I am struggling to work out how you get to your comments from what McSilks actually wrote.

Its not that difficult, he said he backed Cloughs decision to send Maguire out on loan based on the fact that we dont see what happens in training, he then went on when questioned, to back Carrols inclusion into a side that had not lost in the league in 6, because he had a reputation of being a good passer. Now one would guess that Clough saw Caroll in training or previous to this and didnt just bring him in based on his reputation ?

Now even the most blind faith Clough fan, must admit that both bringing neither Maguire or Carroll was has worked.

Ive spoken to Maguire just as a Rams Fan nothing more and he wants to stay at Derby no doubt about it . I asked him why he controls the ball with the outside of the foot which the Manager and coaches dont like . He said he has always done it (the manager and coaches have asked him not to do it for 6 months) and didnt think it was wrong to do it . I say he has brilliant control better than any other player in the Rams squad but what do i know . He set up Pompeys 3rd goal last night with brilliant control and a lovely through ball . After he played well in a 3-1 WIN against Pompey and scored in 1 of only 2 starts for rams in CCC he played against Cardiff and was hauled off . I said did you have a strop when that happened he said no he didnt . He scored against the shrews in th cup and played well . Hes never started for Derby since . Hes a SCOTTISH intrernational and has done well wherever he has been . ive watched him in the reserves try is hardest even when kicked like hell by the opposition hes always tried and scored and made goals. He set up a hatrick for ADDISON AGAINST New Mills and hit a wonderful free kick which was saved by Mills keeper brilliantly. He would like a chance at Derby the Manager is not giving him one end of.

I'm not trying to defend the manager here but this bit stood out.

I'm pretty good at my job, I think my way of doing things is very good, it's always worked wherever I have been. If my boss asks me to do something for 6 months and I still havent done it. I wouldnt expect to be in a job.

If it's such a simple instruction as that - then I'm really p'd off that someone who can play a bit can't pick it up after 6 months.

I can imagine the scouting report now, he's fairly good on the ball, he's got a fair bit technique, he can pick out a pass and take a player on but he loses a lot of posession by trying this frigging annoying controlling of the ball with the outside of his boot.. but don't worry - it's such a simple thing for someone to listen to and change that I cant see it being an issue.

Next time you talk to him curtains - tell him If a ball is pinged at you from 10 yards, you've got more chance of holding it if you use your full foot.

This business of how to control a ball is just plain stupid. I challenge anyone to tell me that controlling a ball with the outside of the foot as well as the inside of the foot is incorrect using both feet. The point is Maguire uses both feet and controls the ball all ways. I suggest this 6 months carp is a smoke screen not to play the lad. How does Addison and Cywka and Commons and Hulse and Varney etc etc control the football

I may have made a mistake, I thought you wrote that you'd spoken to him and he said the manager and coaching staff have asked him not to do it that way. Is that not wahat you meant?

I'll say again, if I'm a player and the only thing keeping me out of the side is the fact I control the ball in way in which the manager has asked me not to, then I change the way I control the ball and I get in the side... simple. I want to play, he picks the team, I play his way.

Its not that difficult, he said he backed Cloughs decision to send Maguire out on loan based on the fact that we dont see what happens in training, he then went on when questioned, to back Carrols inclusion into a side that had not lost in the league in 6, because he had a reputation of being a good passer. Now one would guess that Clough saw Caroll in training or previous to this and didnt just bring him in based on his reputation ?

Now even the most blind faith Clough fan, must admit that both bringing neither Maguire or Carroll was has worked.

Personally, I cannot see any problem in Maguire going out on loan. He is not getting a game at the moment so let him get one somewhere else at a good level rather than with the reserves. It is now up to Maguire to prove himself at Portsmouth, I hope that he does, I am sure that Nigel Clough hopes that he does.

I also cannot see any big issue with Carroll having his run in the side. He is a kid of obvious talent who can spot and deliver a pass. NC recognises that we need a bit more craft in the side so he brought him in (isn't that good?), unfortunately, Carroll apart from a few flashes has not really hit the mark so NC took him out of the side (isn't that good?).

Maguire may yet work out for us if he fits in to what the coaching staff want him to do within the team. Carroll may put a few kilos on and come back next season and be a real star for us..... to early to write either of them off - in my very humble opinion.

Personally, I cannot see any problem in Maguire going out on loan. He is not getting a game at the moment so let him get one somewhere else at a good level rather than with the reserves. It is now up to Maguire to prove himself at Portsmouth, I hope that he does, I am sure that Nigel Clough hopes that he does.

I also cannot see any big issue with Carroll having his run in the side. He is a kid of obvious talent who can spot and deliver a pass. NC recognises that we need a bit more craft in the side so he brought him in (isn't that good?), unfortunately, Carroll apart from a few flashes has not really hit the mark so NC took him out of the side (isn't that good?).

Maguire may yet work out for us if he fits in to what the coaching staff want him to do within the team. Carroll may put a few kilos on and come back next season and be a real star for us..... to early to write either of them off - in my very humble opinion.

So you still cant see or admit having carroll in the side or bringing in Maguire at 400k was no benefit to the side, in fact the opposite ?

Also explain to me the purpose of bringing caroll in again, we are not going to sign him, we werent good enough for the play offs, we were on a 6 game unbeaten run, so why bring in a a player from another team and play him ahead of our own.

I am a Clough fan and I agree both have not worked, this does not mean I have changed my mind re Clough

So you still cant see or admit having carroll in the side or bringing in Maguire at 400k was no benefit to the side, in fact the opposite ?

Also explain to me the purpose of bringing caroll in again, we are not going to sign him, we werent good enough for the play offs, we were on a 6 game unbeaten run, so why bring in a a player from another team and play him ahead of our own.

The reason being I would say is that teams were starting to get the measure of us for example marking Ward out of the game. Although 6 game unbeaten run we were not creating or scoring a lot. Carroll has European experience with Spurs this season and when the team is well on top he can and does show some elements of creativity. However when the team is not on top he struggles as he is lightweight and does not have time on the ball as he is used to. Reminds me a bit of Bueno in that aspect. He was brought in to simply try and create opportunities because I final third work has not been productive enough since West Ham. It has not worked, he has now been dropped and no one is played above him. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't

We have not won a game whilst he has been on the pitch, it did not work and once again I say again this was a mistake that cannot be argued with, my point was not that Clough should be hung drawn and quartered because of this but in response to the poster who said that putting him in the team was the right thing to do, and cannot admit that NC got it wrong.

Carrol is not our player, if there was a problem in team getting the measure of us why not work with the current squad rather than bring in someone who wont be here long term as we have bob hope of signing him, so once again I cant see the logic behind his loan move.

Archived