Almost a Ram

I was reading an article by Jimmy Greaves the other day regarding the fact he wished he'd have opted to join Brian Clough at Derby as he felt Cloughy could have resurrected his career after he left Spurs and felt he mistakenly opted to go to West Ham instead because he didn't want to leave London. It made me think of some of the amazing players we were close to signing or closely linked with, mainly from the Clough/Mackay era but a few more recent. I can't think of anyone in particular from the great Cox Team,from the late 80's other than the 2 Czeq lads Maxwell flew in. Here's the ones I remember , only top quality ones , anyone have any others?

Greaves

Moore

Brooking

Osgood

Kubic

Knoflicek

Baggio

Petit

Watkins

Toney

Some fine players in their😍,what might have been. also seem to remember reading Cloughy was interested in Trevor Francis when he was a young lad at Birmingham but not 100% sure about that one. 

29 minutes ago, chelloram said:

I was reading an article by Jimmy Greaves the other day regarding the fact he wished he'd have opted to join Brian Clough at Derby as he felt Cloughy could have resurrected his career after he left Spurs and felt he mistakenly opted to go to West Ham instead because he didn't want to leave London. It made me think of some of the amazing players we were close to signing or closely linked with, mainly from the Clough/Mackay era but a few more recent. I can't think of anyone in particular from the great Cox Team,from the late 80's other than the 2 Czeq lads Maxwell flew in. Here's the ones I remember , only top quality ones , anyone have any others?

Greaves

Moore

Brooking

Osgood

Kubic

Knoflicek

Baggio

Petit

Watkins

Toney

Some fine players in their😍,what might have been. also seem to remember reading Cloughy was interested in Trevor Francis when he was a young lad at Birmingham but not 100% sure about that one. 

Tim Sherwood was at the BBG ready to sign when Arthur let him take a call from Kenny Dalgish and signed for Blackburn instead. 
Also Martin Allen had agreed terms to sign for Arthur when Maxwell just pulled the plug on the deal. 
Arthur also passed on the chance to sign a young lad Ron Jukes recommended as we had just signed Dave Penney and he thought we had enough forwards, the young lad was Steve Bull 

Edited by Reggie Greenwood
Added a bit

3 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Do you include the Argentinian geezer who sort of signed for us then got nobbled for having a false passport at customs then that was the end of him?

3 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Do you include the Argentinian geezer who sort of signed for us then got nobbled for having a false passport at customs then that was the end of him?

He actually played though didn't he, scored a header on pride park debut , Esteban Fuertes, then the  passport irregularities so never to be seen again 🤣 

5 hours ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

I thought we looked at Colin Bell, when he played for Bury, but we could only afford either Kevin Hector or Colin Bell and you know who we chose. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_Bell_(footballer,_born_1946)

I Wasn't aware of the Colin Bell interest , we didn't do too bad with Hector though 🤪

A more recent one is last years europa league final hattrick scoring man of the match Ademola Lookman, he nearly signed on loan for Rowett in the January. he would have been a real difference maker but ended up going to Leipzig instead and getting 5 goals and 3 assists in 11 games in the bundesliga helping them to get European football

Ian Storey-Moore, paraded at the BBG as a new Derby signing, but the paperwork wasn't yet signed, Forest got cold feet that they might have dropped another Hinton-sized loblock and pulled out, selling him to Man U instead.  Derby got fined for the incident, but we dodged a bullet because Storey Moore was never right at Man U and shortly retired through injury

ism.png

Jim Smith got close to singing Roberto Baggio, and we also had both Emmanuel Petit and David Ginola at the stadium, but their personal terms were just beyond our reach. We could have beaten the world if we could have added those 3 to what we already had.

Incidentally we lost Storey-More because his wife talked him into going to Manure. He was only there a short time before injury ended his career, if I recall correctly.

10 hours ago, chelloram said:

Greaves

Moore

Brooking

Osgood

Kubic

Knoflicek

Baggio

Petit

Watkins

Toney

According to David Peace's book Clough rocked up invited to Upton Park unbeknownst to Sam Longson and asked Rob Greenwood how much he would sell Brooking and Moore for and was repeatedly rebuffed by Greenwood saying they were not for sale but he would forward Clough's offer to the board as a matter of courtesy for him coming all of that way. 

Peace's book was always a blend of fact and fiction so not sure how valid this account was.