QPR (H) - Matchday Thread

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

No one is suggesting Zetterstrom can’t kick the ball a long way but, his accuracy (at the moment) isn’t great. And it’s not just “occasionally kicking the ball out”, it’s fairly frequent. BUT, if that’s all we’ve got to “criticise” him about then happy days. I can live with it.

His long range passing and low kicks are excellent though.

21 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I think this played into our hands. Osborn is great in terms of never hiding, and always wanting to get on the ball, and dictate the play, but I'm surprised to be able to say I think he's not yet looking like one of our better players. I didn't expect to be saying that preseason, but he will need to go up a gear or two to be a key name on the teamsheet. And Chirewa hasn't got up to speed yet. Given the high intensity of how we play, and the demands it puts on the players, both will have chances to impress, but it possibly made Warne's job a little easier that they weren't in contention yesterday.

Great to have a controlled win with Ozoh still sidelined. Can't wait for Yates to start scoring!

17 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

As magnificent as Nelson's header was, it was bested by the fact that it's the first goal in eons at the southern end, that I have had a clear view of from my seat in the NE Upper.

With him being literally head and shoulders above all others, I was aligned with head, ball, and (empty) top right corner.  Not only a perfect view (albeit at a distance), but I was perfectly aligned to be given a clear foresight that that header was heading nowhere other than the back of the net.  I was up almost as soon as Nelson was!  

Magnificent, I repeat!  🐏

I was at Blackburn and thought that was a great header by Nelson . Yesterday’s was even better . If only we had a centre forward who could head it like him . 

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

I think this played into our hands. Osborn is great in terms of never hiding, and always wanting to get on the ball, and dictate the play, but I'm surprised to be able to say I think he's not yet looking like one of our better players. I didn't expect to be saying that preseason, but he will need to go up a gear or two to be a key name on the teamsheet. And Chirewa hasn't got up to speed yet. Given the high intensity of how we play, and the demands it puts on the players, both will have chances to impress, but it possibly made Warne's job a little easier that they weren't in contention yesterday.

Great to have a controlled win with Ozoh still sidelined. Can't wait for Yates to start scoring!

Agree with all of that. Still feeling we are missing something in midfield… much better than last  season though. 
We need Ozoh to stay on form and fit for most of the season. If Kenzo is injured or off form then we really lack creativity in that area.

Agreed re Yates… outfield play is great but he needs and very much deserves a goal.

A deserved win but I was desperate for Yates to score. I thought we almost let them back in after their subs, but then again I can't decide whether the subs turned the momentum or whether we just ran out of steam a bit, but if we'd conceded then it would almost certainly have been total panic stations.

Still, the result was the right one and two superbly taken goals. You have to wonder what sort of defensive plan leaves one of our central defenders who is up for the corner to pick his spot with minimal challenge, but either way, he absolutely nailed that header. Harness' finish was excellent. It is so easy to miss those and lash if over the bar by trying to do too much with it but he just used the pace on the ball and guided it into the corner. They were dawdling with the ball after the restart but we pressed aggressively and forced the error. Yates and CBT could have made that comfortable even if QPR had scored when when they were pressing late on.

On 03/10/2024 at 19:53, Comrade 86 said:

@Eoghan1884 why are you doing another match thread? First you booted @Animal is a Ram off the job while he was still on a no-loss streak and now we have you instead, we've not won a game since. 

tenor(16).gif.daed0d0dbbf25fe9bec3ed5358dd1242.gif

#BOOTEOGHAN

#JUSTICE4ANIMAL

@Comrade 86 I will strictly only make home match threads now as I’m 2/2. We need to find a man to make away match threads. Who was making them last season ? Whoever it was should come out of retirement. 

1 hour ago, Alty_Ram said:

A deserved win but I was desperate for Yates to score. I thought we almost let them back in after their subs, but then again I can't decide whether the subs turned the momentum or whether we just ran out of steam a bit, but if we'd conceded then it would almost certainly have been total panic stations.

Still, the result was the right one and two superbly taken goals. You have to wonder what sort of defensive plan leaves one of our central defenders who is up for the corner to pick his spot with minimal challenge, but either way, he absolutely nailed that header. Harness' finish was excellent. It is so easy to miss those and lash if over the bar by trying to do too much with it but he just used the pace on the ball and guided it into the corner. They were dawdling with the ball after the restart but we pressed aggressively and forced the error. Yates and CBT could have made that comfortable even if QPR had scored when when they were pressing late on.

Someone earlier in the thread thought they were using a man-marking system, and come the corner our guys moved forwards and took the defenders with them, leaving Nelson unmarked. It must have been a training ground move because Nat knew exactly where to find Nelson. Brilliant!

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

I'm sure, on any other day, we'd fully empathise with this QPR fan's views here but, as it's them.....LOOOOOOL 🤣

I wholeheartedly agree. The rail service is shocking. Treated like cattle. Every week on match day, four carriages for hundreds and hundreds of fans. Same price whether you get a seat or are squashed by the toilet.

1 hour ago, DavesaRam said:

Someone earlier in the thread thought they were using a man-marking system, and come the corner our guys moved forwards and took the defenders with them, leaving Nelson unmarked. It must have been a training ground move because Nat knew exactly where to find Nelson. Brilliant!

Interesting that PW said he was off to see the NFL game today in the RD interview.

I think there’s a lot more to these corners than meet the eye - in terms of planning.

Sadly the delivery is often woeful but when the delivery is good and it works, the coaches deserve credit.

3 hours ago, Eoghan1884 said:

@Comrade 86 I will strictly only make home match threads now as I’m 2/2. We need to find a man to make away match threads. Who was making them last season ? Whoever it was should come out of retirement. 

Seeing as you have single-handedly changed the long established and previously successful approach to matchday thread starters, would you please be good enough to offer some sort of hint as to the small matter of fixture day/date, and kick off time, in your introductory post (or title).

In these days of ever-changing scheduling, quite a few readers don't know when and where to turn! 
It appears you never mentioned this in either the Sheff Utd Thread, or the QPR thread.

At least @jono had the good grace to mention the kick off time in the opening line of the Norwich thread.

Many thanks, in anticipation.

Oh... and congratulations, by the way. 

30 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Seeing as you have single-handedly changed the long established and previously successful approach to matchday thread starters, would you please be good enough to offer some sort of hint as to the small matter of fixture day/date, and kick off time, in your introductory post (or title).

In these days of ever-changing scheduling, quite a few readers don't know when and where to turn! 
It appears you never mentioned this in either the Sheff Utd Thread, or the QPR thread.

At least @jono had the good grace to mention the kick off time in the opening line of the Norwich thread.

Many thanks, in anticipation.

Oh... and congratulations, by the way. 

If you want to dm your postcode to me I’ll send a peice of A3 paper weekly with fixture times and dates. Or you can look it up since you’ve access to the internet. 

23 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

If you want to dm your postcode to me I’ll send a peice of A3 paper weekly with fixture times and dates. Or you can look it up since you’ve access to the internet. 

With respect, I think you are totally missing the point  here. You've totally ignored the fact that you've taken it upon yourself to change a system that, as @Mucker1884 says, was not broken, so why fix it? Thus some posters are feeling a bit miffed. A lot of us old fuddy duddies are set in our ways you know! 😁 ( I'm fairly new here, so hope I'm not speaking out of turn).

3 hours ago, Crewton said:

I'm sure, on any other day, we'd fully empathise with this QPR fan's views here but, as it's them.....LOOOOOOL 🤣

Serves the cnuts right!!!

Makes up for the worst 2.5 hours of my life on the St Pancras to Derby line coming back from the play off final.  Stood right outside the bogs with a guy, with the worst breath in the history of the world, stood over my shoulder.  

7 hours ago, silverback said:

Zetterstrom 8.5   ..2 x Shiltonesque saves at critical times, kicking improved but still work to do. 

Fozzie 9....rolled back the years would have been more if he hadnt blazed that shot wide expect better from his quality

Nelson 9... was rock solid and that header WOW! seen weaker shots

Cashin 8 ....improved and solid still some wayward passing

Nyambe 8  tower at RB, needs to work out how to play with Jacko too many things wasted

Kenzo 10 ......seldom I give the 10 but he was superb yesterday, tenacious tackling, wonderful distribution. We will not hold him at the transfer windows some body with deep pockets will whisk him away sadly.

Harness 9.....super performance, great half turns, turned their defence time and again creating openings. Spectacular first touch for his goal

Ebou 9......Tiger tiger burning bright, was everywhere getting a foot in 

NML 8 .......Good first half but faded 

Jackson 8 .......pace to spare and some nice touches  needs to get a goal again to revive his confidence in front of the net

Yates  9....Ran his lungs out, has amazing close control .such a shame his header was saved just needs goals for the complete performance

Wilson was the best of the subs, his dribbling is a joy to watch in these days of sideways passing

Overall we were too strong for a weakened QPR. If we can keep putting these 8 and above individual performances, could we be on for a play off flirting 🫣

With these grades, could you please re-mark my A Level’s, especially History?

I initially ‘achieved’ a ‘U’ grade, but think I could get a ‘B’ 💪