QPR (H) - Matchday Thread

Very clever goal from Nelson, we noticed that they were zonal defending the corner very deep, so our players attacked, leaving Nelson hanging back unmarked on the edge of the box. He was then free to place his header into the top corner, they probably didn't that he would be a danger from such a distance, with a header.

32 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

First half he was easily their best player then in the second he went more central and didn't look as effective.

That makes sense then, I didn’t see the first half so wasn’t impressed by his contribution for them. Maybe I was harsh….he still fell down due to Adams impressive presence though 

6 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I think he’s an excellent player. Haven’t had a striker as skilful with the ball since Martin. Lovely touch. 
Just needs that first goal. 

Throughout his career, he’s been a player who scores a lot of goals in a short amount of time but also goes on goalless runs. As long as he continues to lead the line as he has done then I really wouldn’t care if he doesn’t score a goal all season, he’s a key part of why we have scored as many goals as Sheff Utd and West Brom and more than Middlesbrough. Best striker we have had since Chris Martin, for sure. 

PG Wodehouse from the directors box as a guest of Mrs Clowes.

I marmaladed a slice of toast with something of a flourish, and I don’t suppose I have ever come much closer to saying ‘Tra-la-la’ as I did the lathering, for I was feeling decidedly top-notch this morning, positively brimming with the vim and vigour of a chap on his third cup of tea and the prospect of a day unencumbered by aunts. This, I mused, as I set about my breakfast, was to be one of those days where the sun shines, the birds twitter, and the toast behaves itself under the knife.

After fortifying myself thusly, it was off to the directors’ box, the sort of place one enters expecting languid men in tweeds and ends up sidling past boisterous Americans swilling lager like it was lemonade on a midsummer’s day. The waitstaff, I noticed, were being winked at with alarming regularity, as though the spectators fancied themselves in some sort of mid-Atlantic romcom. “Is a takeover in the air?” I wondered, between sips of rather inferior champagne, eyeing the foreign contingent with mild suspicion. One never knows with these things — first it’s the lager, and then, before you can say ‘hostile bid,’ the club’s sold off to the highest bidder from Wisconsin.

But I digress. The match was the thing. And what a match, dear reader! The Admirable Nelson — and I use the term advisedly, for the fellow was playing with the gravitas of Lord Nelson himself, minus, one hopes, the missing arm — soared through the air like some sort of magnificent albatross, head held high, eyes gleaming with determination, before he rocketed a header into the far corner, leaving the opposing keeper to ruminate on the brevity of life and the fickle nature of fate. “Good heavens!” cried a chap next to me, nearly spilling his lager in the process, while I, more reserved, allowed myself a discreet nod of approval.

The points were effectively bagged with the sort of efficiency that makes one proud to be British, as Harness, with all the calm of a man buttering his toast, sent a first-time finish past the QPR keeper, who looked about as rooted as a veteran oak at the Chelsea Flower Show. ‘Unflappable, these boys,’ I thought, ‘positively unflappable.’

Special mention must be made of Kenzo, who orchestrated proceedings with the frenetic energy of “Andre Previn on speed,” as one of the more excitable Americans was heard to say. Quite right, too. The man was everywhere, pulling strings and distributing passes with the flair of a magician pulling rabbits from hats. And then, of course, there was Zettestrom, whose transfer must be hailed as the most magnificent since Cleopatra’s needle was carted to the Embankment. The man was everywhere, like a dynamo on skates, and I don’t suppose I’ve ever seen a finer display of Scandinavian efficiency outside of an IKEA catalogue.

There would be no Zamora today, no Fernandez with the build of a Christmas ham attempting to hitch a ride on Joey Barton’s shoulders like some sort of surreal Punch and Judy show. No, today was different. Today, dear old Gerry Francis — with hair that could only be described as heroic — watched on as his boys took one hell of a beating. It was, as the fellow Churchill once remarked, ‘a rattling good show,’ and as the final whistle blew, I could only think: ‘What-ho, Jeeves, another three points, and a jolly good day at the football.’”

Just back home after a detour to see my dad in Burton hospital and pass on the good news.  'Satisfying' would be my one word to describe the game, particularly after the QPR's fans bizarre obsession with events 10 years ago. They need to move on, we have had far more important moments in our history during the last decade. One club moving forwards, one backwards by the look of things.

Edited by Wistaston Ram

Great win and even sweeter that it's v QPR. Never liked 'em. Perhaps that will shut them up about a certain goal one of their players scored against us now.

Also, while I'm on, genuinely surprised to see Chair on the bench. It's not right. In two ways! Last season he was pulling the strings for them.

Edited by Sheff Ram

We needed that. A win is a win.

It wasn't a brilliant performance but it was enough.

It is a pretty comfortable fixture list for the next few weeks. delighted to see we are pretty much sold out at the den. Confidence is back.

Played well again at home, we are a match for any team in this division at home, thought Nelson, Forsyth, Cashin, Adams, Kenzo and Harness where all very good today my man of the match was Nelson, and what a header that was, fancy us to get some points on the road in the next 2 away games both winnable, a really happy Ram tonight, the whisky will taste even better tonight. Once A Ram Always A Ram.