Sunderland (A) - Match thread

Eoghan1884

19 hours ago, Rich84 said:

Can't believe the number of people talking about dropping Nelson for Phillips.....

Personally I'd go back 3 with Phillips actually playing slightly in front of Cash and Nelson, not behind in the traditional sweeper role, so killing the space that Ozoh would occupy.

I'd take Osborn out as looks off the pace a bit and Forsyth gives us better security a LB/LWB and added height at set pieces both for and against.

Nyambe is a dilemma,  as an opposition I'd always set up to leave him free when we play out from the back as his control, composure and passing are a liability most of the time, maybe Ward at RWB as a bit better defensively than Wilson.

As @rammieib mentioned,  as good a threat NML is attacking wise, on at least 3 occasions agajnst Norwich, he was either too lazy, knackered or not aware enough which lost the ball in critical areas, one leading to a goal on Saturday,  needs to be better or rest him for Harness or CBT. 

Time to be ruthless in team selection IMO

I think the calls for Nelson to be replaced by Phillips are for the same reason you give for Nyambe. Both are noble defenders but shaky in possession - Nelson especially so.

I agree with most of your arguments but Ward is a terrible defender. He is however a great set piece taker (please let’s get NML away from them) and he is a goal threat.

Poor away form? If you mean results, yes, it is poor. However, we haven't played badly except for that 15 minutes of 2nd half madness at Blackburn. The 3 defeats have come against teams currently sitting 3rd, 6th and 7th. Tonight we play the team currently 2nd and they have a 100% home record so far. I'm not expecting a win tonight. A draw isn't very likely either. I don't see that as a problem. Beat QPR on Saturday, into the break with a win, get players fit again over the next 2 weeks and we go again.

13 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I'm not worried about away form, over the course of Warne's reign at Derby the home and away form hasn't been too dissimilar. 

Blackburn have won all four of their home games, Watford & Sheff Utd are unbeaten at home. We now have Sunderland, who have also won all their home games so far. It's a simple case of coming up against teams who have started the season well and going into their ground and not doing enough to win the game. 

I'd be delighted with a point at Sunderland, but the smart money is another defeat - I don't think that's particularly on our approach play. If anything we've always been set-up to be as successful away from home as we are at home. 

I think it's both. With all of those games (and I'll include Norwich as well) maybe to an extent bar Watford I think there were things in our approach that were leading us to get unstuck. They were all games I could have come away from completely accepting we were beaten by a better side but instead came away more thinking that we really hadn't helped ourselves.

On 30/09/2024 at 07:29, Ghost of Clough said:

How I'd line us up:

Zetterstrom

Wilson   Nelson   Cashin   Forsyth

Adams

Goudmijn      Osborn

Jackson   Yates   Mendez-Laing

Subs: Vickers, Phillips, Nyambe, Ward, Harness, Chirewa, Blackett-Taylor, DBrown, Collins

This setup would be similar to a 343 in possession, with Wilson pushing high, Forsyth hanging back, Osborn drifting wide and the two wingers drifting central. I'm still reluctant to see us play we a true back 3 as it means too many compromises across the team.

Whilst Nyambe has been solid defensively, I feel Wilson will offer more creativity down the right hand side and allow Jackson to drift more central. Nyambe putting in one of his weaker performances of the season means it's a good opportunity to freshen the side up.

With our current lack of CM options in the squad, I think we need Ward on the bench, who successfully played as a hybrid 7/8 vs Portsmouth last season. He's arguably the next best player we have to play as an 8 behind our current starters. Chirewa and Harness play further forward in AM or on the wing. I'll be surprised if we don't strengthen in the CM position in January.

We need more goal threat from our front 3. Hopefully Blackett-Taylor builds on his goal, but for now he's a sub. He also needs to improve defensively. Harness could start to threaten for a starting spot too, but is more of a creator than a scorer and someone I originally saw as competition for Goudmijn. The latter playing as an 8, and the former as a 10 dependant on the opposition and stage of the game. I'll also be surprised if we don't sign a winger in January.

I think I'd mostly agree with all of that but honestly at this point I think I'd be hesitant to start Osborn. Frankly I think he's been pretty poor so far and I think we need to shift the midfield around. Maybe doing like you side and setting up to move into a 343 on the ball might work but I think I'd probably just drop him from Chirewa. It might look like a compromise defensively but we can't keep giving the ball away as cheaply as we are doing and not having the means to progress.

3 hours ago, MadAmster said:

Poor away form? If you mean results, yes, it is poor. However, we haven't played badly except for that 15 minutes of 2nd half madness at Blackburn. The 3 defeats have come against teams currently sitting 3rd, 6th and 7th. Tonight we play the team currently 2nd and they have a 100% home record so far. I'm not expecting a win tonight. A draw isn't very likely either. I don't see that as a problem. Beat QPR on Saturday, into the break with a win, get players fit again over the next 2 weeks and we go again.

The Barrow game wasn’t a very good performance by any stretch. I hope  Paul Warne has had a total re-think on how we set up away from home . It’s up to him - 3 centre half’s ? another holding midfielder? First away point of the season would be great tonight . 

Zetterstrom

Nelson  Phillips Cash

Wilson      Chirewa Ebou Ozzy    Fozzy

Yates Jackson

This wouldnt be my preferred lineup but its what I think  PW is going to go with, having half an eye on Saturday, especially with it being a 3 game week, therefore will probably rest NML & Kenzo. (Could be totally wrong as kenzo is our best at keeping the ball and using the ball, but I think he is more important for Sarturday)

Nyambe drops to the bench due to formation. 

We are so bad at playing through the midfield that we really need 2 up top away from home. Firstly it splits the pitch into 2 sides for outlets and secondly it occupies more defenders. 

COYR

We are in Sunderland, raining all the way up here be it’s dry now.

Parked the car, had a quick pint in the pub ( £5.30 for a pint of beer and a pint of cider) I love the North 😂.

Checked in the Holiday Inn, then back out to explore a bit.

Looking at booking Mexico 70 restaurant for tacos and tequila pre match.

Have a good one everyone 🙂