Odd little Derby things you do

To try and cheer ourselves possibly, what odd (legal) Derby things do you do every day, other than being a fan obviously.

When I cant sleep I run through an A-Z of Derby players considering my choice for each letter - have never got past N which is s shame with our new GK.

Also leading up to a game anything Derby/sheep related we say "its a sign" of what I dont know as have never done correlation between victories and sightings

please save me from the forum dark cloud with some stupid nonsense...anything just anything

Not every day, but regularly including match days……..

When I drive south down the M1 from Yorkshire just past Woodall services (I think) there is a Derbyshire sign marking the county boundary. Always blow it a kiss.

Because the M1 is now essentially 50mph from north Sheffield to Derby 😤 and they’re doing roadworks they’ve (temporarily I hope) removed the sign. Its been replaced by a big sign saying B4, marking the relevant contractors entrance into the roadworks area. The signs go up to B10 or some such. It’s a sign! 

On my way to work. I give myself a target of how many Magpies I think i will see. (Nothing to do with other teams, the link in my mind is purely the black and white). If I match or beat my total, then the Rams will win their next game.  

Sorry to say I haven't seen any recently due to being house bound after surgery.  

So you can all throw your teddies at me instead of the manager. 

It is my fault.

2 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

On my way to work. I give myself a target of how many Magpies I think i will see. (Nothing to do with other teams, the link in my mind is purely the black and white). If I match or beat my total, then the Rams will win their next game.  

Sorry to say I haven't seen any recently due to being house bound after surgery.  

So you can all throw your teddies at me instead of the manager. 

It is my fault.

"Today I will see zero magpies". Job done 

3 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

Not every day, but regularly including match days……..

When I drive south down the M1 from Yorkshire just past Woodall services (I think) there is a Derbyshire sign marking the county boundary. Always blow it a kiss.

Because the M1 is now essentially 50mph from north Sheffield to Derby 😤 and they’re doing roadworks they’ve (temporarily I hope) removed the sign. Its been replaced by a big sign saying B4, marking the relevant contractors entrance into the roadworks area. The signs go up to B10 or some such. It’s a sign! 

I blow a kiss at every "Welcome to Derbyshire" sign and thought I was the only weirdo who did it! 

I'm going to show my mrs your post and say "I'm not the only one"

We always punch the roof of the car in time with the drums on the Radio Derby Sportscene music. “Da da-da-da” punch punch etc.

It started in my Dad’s car when the grab handles were on springs, so they made a loud thwack when we let them go. When he got rid of that car, we moved onto punching the roof and we must have been doing it for over 30 years. We lost my Dad 10 years ago but my lad and I do it every game, as do my brother and nephew when they come.

I’ve just looked it up and it’s called World Series by Keith Mansfield.

1 hour ago, Kinder said:

We always punch the roof of the car in time with the drums on the Radio Derby Sportscene music. “Da da-da-da” punch punch etc.

It started in my Dad’s car when the grab handles were on springs, so they made a loud thwack when we let them go. When he got rid of that car, we moved onto punching the roof and we must have been doing it for over 30 years. We lost my Dad 10 years ago but my lad and I do it every game, as do my brother and nephew when they come.

That's lovely. My dad just died and we always used to look at the league table together and say "nicely poised" - he still laughed at it with advanced dementia

1 minute ago, CBRammette said:

That's lovely. My dad just died and we always used to look at the league table together and say "nicely poised" - he still laughed at it with advanced dementia

Really sorry for your loss but it sounds like you have lots of little reminders that will sustain you.

On match days I usually walk alongside the car park behind the South Stand to my East Stand seat and predict (to myself of course) how many cars I will pass with 'RAMS' in the number plate. If I guess correctly it's a sure-fire sign we're going to win (but often isn't but doesn't stop me doing it in the next match).

Do I need to book some therapy?

On 28/08/2024 at 11:44, CBRammette said:

To try and cheer ourselves possibly, what odd (legal) Derby things do you do every day, other than being a fan obviously.

When I cant sleep I run through an A-Z of Derby players considering my choice for each letter - have never got past N which is s shame with our new GK.

Also leading up to a game anything Derby/sheep related we say "its a sign" of what I dont know as have never done correlation between victories and sightings

please save me from the forum dark cloud with some stupid nonsense...anything just anything

John O’Hare, sweet dreams!

On 28/08/2024 at 18:08, Kinder said:

I remember it used to be the BBC TV theme to athletics.