Cauley Woodrow

May as well stick with Collins and  Brown as options no point paying out wages for players who arent great and will block a pathway for our academy players. Hes the typical kind of donkey we'd sign suprised we arent in for Connor Sammon as well hes big and strong and works hard too.

I’m not saying Woodrow would be a bad purchase. He strikes me  as being a good team player. I just think we could do better.

We put some lovely crosses into the box. We need someone on the end of them. He can do the holding up bit but fox in the box, he ain’t.

He would complement Yates but could we accommodate both?

9 minutes ago, Marriot Ram99 said:

3 goals in the last 2 seasons is awful  even if his all round play is okay much rather we give Brown a chance to develop or stick with Collins who will score some goals and work hard if we are that skint.

He’s scored six goals in all competitions in the last two seasons.

He’s also only played a total of 1,785 minutes in those two seasons across all competitions. Those minutes equate roughly to 20 full matches. 

Thank god our scouting department will have looked deeper than simply checking Wikipedia…

Edited by RamsFan10

3 minutes ago, Loughborough Ram said:

Don't be. Many come on here just to moan, largely about anything they can find, so a new signing is mannah from heaven

I get it: it’s frustrating. I like Woodrow, but it’s a 29 year old whose coming off a bad couple of years. It’s another case of short-term thinking when it comes to recruitment and if I’m being completely honest: it can be categorised as lazy.

I don’t suspect it’s him as a player, as such, but more the profile of player we are in the market for. 

8 minutes ago, RamsFan10 said:

He’s scored six goals in all competitions in the last two seasons.

He’s also only played a total of 1,785 minutes in those two seasons across all competitions. Those minutes equate roughly to 20 full matches. 

Thank god our scouting department will have looked deeper than simply checking Wikipedia…

Even if he hasnt playef much that still goes against him if he is going to be bought as our main striker as it will take a while to get up to speed and he wont have much confidence. After Clowes and Warne said we had a competitive budget this is more like Clough under the Americans if he is our main striker for the season. 

I really dont know what people are expecting....do you really think we are in a position to buy a atriker who has bagged goals for fun over the last couple of seasons? Look at the prices of Stansfield & Osula of examples of how alot of money doesnt get you a great deal.

Some people really have short memories & really need to stop judging strikers off just their recent scoring records. What else they bring to the team is just as important, like a CKR or Martin. Woodrow might not have scored loads recently, but if he had he would be nowhere near our radar.

How about judge them on what they do in a Rams shirt, he could be the missing piece to our attacking play that helps it all click.

I certainly wouldnt mind him joining us.

10 minutes ago, Marriot Ram99 said:

Even if he hasnt playef much that still goes against him if he is going to be bought as our main striker as it will take a while to get up to speed and he wont have much confidence. After Clowes and Warne said we had a competitive budget this is more like Clough under the Americans if he is our main striker for the season. 

You can’t seriously expect us to be signing a ready-to-go striker who’s been banging them in in recent seasons and can come straight into the team? The going rate for that in this league starts at £5m, and we don’t have that cash. And half the league would be trying to sign them - why on earth would they choose us?

We have to be clever, and try and find value where others don’t see it. A striker like Woodrow who hasn’t played loads in recent years but has scored lots in the past, and is still only 29, is the perfect example. 

Edited by RamsFan10

1 minute ago, RamsFan10 said:

You can’t seriously expect us to be signing a ready-to-go striker who’s been banging them in in recent seasons and can come straight into the team? The going rate for that in this league starts at £5m, and we don’t have that cash. And half the league would be trying to sign them - why on earth would they choose us?

We have to be clever, and try and find value where others don’t see it. A striker like Woodrow who hasn’t played loads in recent years but has scored lots in the past, and is still only 29, is the perfect example. 

It is, but also representative of a player who no matter how well he does has barely resale value. 

When the budget isnt huge, the smart play is to sign players who could potentially be sold on down the line. We’ve done that with one players so far this summer, perhaps two when Zetterstrom signs. It means in a year or two when we have to rebuild the squad again, we do so without much hope of players going out to fund it. 

7 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

It is, but also representative of a player who no matter how well he does has barely resale value. 

When the budget isnt huge, the smart play is to sign players who could potentially be sold on down the line. We’ve done that with one players so far this summer, perhaps two when Zetterstrom signs. It means in a year or two when we have to rebuild the squad again, we do so without much hope of players going out to fund it. 

I get your point but I think staying in the league is a more pressing concern this year. From a financial point of view too.

And at 29, we could still get 3 years out of Woodrow before letting him go on a free. 

9 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Not all players are going to join & a potential for a good resale value, but you do also have to sign for the here & now too.

Like it or not we are not an established Champ club, so we also have to think long term in terms of what IF we got relegated we cant be lumbered with big costs. We will get the odd foreign gem with resale value (hopefully) & also have our young academy lads who also have resale value. Once we are more established in the Champ that is when you will more than likely see us start to sign younger players.

8 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Not all players are going to join & a potential for a good resale value, but you do also have to sign for the here & now too.

Like it or not we are not an established Champ club, so we also have to think long term in terms of what IF we got relegated we cant be lumbered with big costs. We will get the odd foreign gem with resale value (hopefully) & also have our young academy lads who also have resale value. Once we are more established in the Champ that is when you will more than likely see us start to sign younger players.

You absolutely do, I agree, but we’ve signed 5 players at an age or profile that may lead to resale value over 5 transfer windows: Wildsmith, CBT, Fornah, Wilson & Goudmijn. 

We aren’t even attempting to give ourselves a chance. 

2 hours ago, Simmoram2024Ramsrontheup said:

Totally underwhelming!!!

Do we have any idea how to scout a striker? 

Smith or Woodrow. 

I’d rather had gone for Langstaff for £700k

Millwall have only paid that sum of money out on one player this summer 

We've paid fees out for 3 players so far I believe

Maybe that's our spending done now and the rest will be on frees or loans

So yes our budget will be viewed as being competitive using Millwall as a benchmark for example

Where this falls down is we have to spend more that our peers whom have consolidated their squads in the Championship to be competitive or bring in damn good loans or free transfers.