Realistic expectations for this season.

10 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I expect bottom 8 given the lack of signings and other things considering.

I feel Warne will have done a good job if he can have us near to the top of the latter third. Anything above 16th right now and he deserves great respect.

That makes no sense. We have (again) a good budget and we are a good 'draw' as a club. We saw the players that can be attracted to the Club when Rooney/Rosenior signed players, so why would anything above 16th be good? Edit: unless you mean top 6? 😄

Edited by RoyMac5

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

That makes no sense. We have (again) a good budget and we are a good 'draw' as a club. We saw the players that can be attracted to the Club when Rooney/Rosenior signed players, so why would anything above 16th be good? Edit: unless you mean top 6? 😄

Bookmakers have us finishing 14/16 .

9 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

The club are aiming for top I would hope.

I'd agree in theory they are aiming to win every game, but are realistic enough to know thwt isn't going to happen... and are planning for safety/midtable ... if that proves easy enough then they will push on as far as they can.

I'm sure Clowes and Warne discuss this regularly and 'survival' or 'midtable' or whatever is discussed. If Clowes is saying 'finish top' I'd be saying 'we need better players, more investment, greater depth'....sure I'd always hope we could beat the odds, out-perform the facts, surprise everyone.. but I'd definitely not be 'aiming' for it. 

Aim means planning for to me...and we aren't doing that I don't think.

Edited by Chester40

38 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

The club are aiming for top I would hope.

I think the most obvious aspects will be how we set up from the kick off and will be really apparent when it's 0-0 and there's 30mins left.

Last season we'd be looking at switching the wide players, trying to get a goal. This season in many games my expectation will be that a point would be a good result and we'd be shoring up the defence not gambling on 3.

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Anything above 16th would a 10+ place improvement on last season, I would be happy if we could maintain that progress over the next 3 seasons.

We’ve not finished our business. We’ve made some smart additions, looks like we’re having a top class keeper coming in, Defence is solid (forget preseason Nelson Cash Nyambe are class), but we lack depth especially with Rooney out and are weak at left back, midfield looks strong, need some stardust in attack. I genuinely think we’ll be in that glut of teams from 9th down to 17th and if we can finish anywhere in between that we’ve done well, anything top half is overachievement. 

5 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

Seem to remember going to watch Rams blow away Prem teams in pre-season friendly’s in the Lampard season . Mount , Wilson & Timori added to a decent team . Going along to day thinking of Collins leading the attack , back in the Champ . More than a little concerning . 

Yep that's true but we did have David Nugent starting those games also. Marriott and waghorn came into the fold once the season had already started. I expect that will be the case with a few signings this year as well.

6 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

We regularly overestimate the quality of our squad.

I said at the back end of last season that the current squad would come straight back down.

Who have we added since then? Not a lot IMO. 

We need another 5 or so decent additions.

That’s why I said if Warne can get us above 16th with what we currently have, that would astonishing.

Plenty of time left in the window. But as I see it, we are in for a season of struggle.

4 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

We regularly overestimate the quality of our squad.

I said at the back end of last season that the current squad would come straight back down.

Who have we added since then? Not a lot IMO. 

We need another 5 or so decent additions.

That’s why I said if Warne can get us above 16th with what we currently have, that would astonishing.

Plenty of time left in the window. But as I see it, we are in for a season of struggle.

Right, got ya. 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

I can't tell you David said so.

With 21.5 k season ticket holders - that must have brought in about £5 mill . Give Clowes Developers a £1 million in rent for a season . Telly money and away fans pay the wages . That leaves £4 mill for a centre forward . ( did that on the back of a fag packet).