Paris Olympics

1of4

10 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

We're in agreement. My point was that it shouldn't be a culture war issue, as it's been going on for a long time. But, because this particular incident has happened in 2024, the culture warriors have latched onto it and are treating it as though it's a trans issue, which it simply isn't.

I think a lot of this is driven by the nature of the X platform these days, but that's a matter for the other thread.

Have not given an opinion on this case as it’s nearly impossible to get clear information regards these two boxers , the problem is that it seems to be the case so often now on so many issues and that is  the cause of so many problems , it’s not just x ( never use it ) , there seems an obsession by many that x is the only way and place that people communicate with each other , it really isn’t , yes large numbers use it but those numbers are dwarfed by the number of people who don’t use it , those people have not suddenly become solitary being who don’t interact and communicate with each other , yes platforms like x and they’re owners have a part in things whether that’s musk or the previous who weren't any better but many over estimate its influence and underestimate the amount of people who see stuff on any platform or hear about stuff from there to want to check things out themselves from more sources if it’s something that interests or concerns them

Edited by Archied

1 hour ago, Comrade 86 said:

Quite emotional scenes as Murray bowed out. He went out scrapping, as is his trademark, but it didn't really feel fitting after such a glittering career. For some reason, many love to hate on the lad, but I've never really understood why. Not a huge tennis fan myself, but to have been ranked #1 in the Federer, Nadal and Djokovic era, is no mean feat and he's by some way the best British player I've ever seen. 

There is an argument to say the best British player ever , superseding Fred Perry. As you say to win 3 slams and 2 golds , be No 1 in probably the most competitive era is remarkable. May have won more without the hip problem ? 

1 hour ago, Comrade 86 said:

Quite emotional scenes as Murray bowed out. He went out scrapping, as is his trademark, but it didn't really feel fitting after such a glittering career. For some reason, many love to hate on the lad, but I've never really understood why. Not a huge tennis fan myself, but to have been ranked #1 in the Federer, Nadal and Djokovic era, is no mean feat and he's by some way the best British player I've ever seen. 

Think a lot of that is the faux English/ Scottish hate thing , to be fair the country had been desperate for many years for an English Wimbledon champion , nobody expected a jock ( a proud one at that) to rock up and win it out of the blue which in a banter sense was gold dust and some just struggled to handle that , but people do need to see that stuff for what it is , I don’t know any Scot who hates the English ( I’m sure there are a few idiots ) , I’m a proud Scot but grew up in England , my wife is English , my kids born in England, im very much British as much as Scot ,,,,, for many many years Scot’s and English stand together when the poop hits the fan ,

your also right that Murray is right up there as the best British tennis player and to my mind probably THE best

4 minutes ago, Archied said:

Think a lot of that is the faux English/ Scottish hate thing , to be fair the country had been desperate for many years for an English Wimbledon champion , nobody expected a jock ( a proud one at that) to rock up and win it out of the blue which in a banter sense was gold dust and some just struggled to handle that , but people do need to see that stuff for what it is , I don’t know any Scot who hates the English ( I’m sure there are a few idiots ) , I’m a proud Scot but grew up in England , my wife is English , my kids born in England, im very much British as much as Scot ,,,,, for many many years Scot’s and English stand together when the poop hits the fan ,

your also right that Murray is right up there as the best British tennis player and to my mind probably THE best

Actually, it's mainly down to an interview he did many years ago - England were off to the World Cup or Euros and he was asked who he'd be supporting as Scotland hadn't qualified (again) - he replied that he'd support 'anyone that's playing England'.....

4 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Actually, it's mainly down to an interview he did many years ago - England were off to the World Cup or Euros and he was asked who he'd be supporting as Scotland hadn't qualified (again) - he replied that he'd support 'anyone that's playing England'.....

Anyone bearing a career-long grudge over over a bit of harmless banter probably requires a spine transplant. We English dish out plenty, including to the Scots, so we need to be able to take a bit back without mithering. Even setting aside the silliness of taking offence at something so harmless, the man's exploits as part of Team GB at both the Olympics and the Davis Cup suggest strongly that he's absolutely no axe to grind with the English.

Deeds not words, would be my take.

24 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

I’m the same with forest ,, it’s a sporting rivalry thing , means nothing in the scheme of real things , even with the England thing I don’t particularly support anyone else but them but we have a banter thing with my friends , they tell me I’m supporting the opposition to England, I laugh and say too ducking right I am , it’s just a giggle 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Archied

1 hour ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

There is an argument to say the best British player ever , superseding Fred Perry. As you say to win 3 slams and 2 golds , be No 1 in probably the most competitive era is remarkable. May have won more without the hip problem ? 

Yeah, but will he ever have a successful shirt brand named after him? 😊

It was interesting to hear Steve Bunce going apesh!t over the boxing.

He said it's a fact she's a woman.

It is a fact that the IOC stripped the IBA of its power in 2019.

And it is a fact that the IBA has a Russian President and is Russian-funded.

He also questioned why the IBA sat on the high testosterone result for almost a year before banning her.

He clearly believes this is Russian misinformation designed to undermine the IOC, who, btw, he says, acted terribly in not clearing this up sooner. 

He also said he'd had over 50 text messages saying it was outrageous to let her fight women from "people ewho should know better"

Who knew people should just STFU until the facts come out?

Whatever the facts of the matter are, it's a bit patronising for men to tell women to STFU about their concerns about whether or not they're competing in a safe environment and on a level playing field.

The various sporting federations, including the IOC, should have resolved any concerns about these boxers status years ago with complete transparency.

On 30/07/2024 at 00:07, Crewton said:

That's, what, three scandalous decisions against British boxers? Any other countries boxers similarly robbed? Those judges in Orie's fight need banning. Sadly, I can see Britain refusing to enter a team in the future.

What’s annoying is the IBA were not allowed to run the competition because of judging scandals so the IOC are cheating themselves instead

42 minutes ago, davenportram said:

What’s annoying is the IBA were not allowed to run the competition because of judging scandals so the IOC are cheating themselves instead

Boxing isn't included in the 2028 Olympics, which is a shame for amateur boxers but is  probably for the best given some of the appalling judging in recent Olympics which has reached laughable levels this time. Corrupt or just incompetent? Either way they've killed off Olympic boxing.

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

Whatever the facts of the matter are, it's a bit patronising for men to tell women to STFU about their concerns about whether or not they're competing in a safe environment and on a level playing field.

The various sporting federations, including the IOC, should have resolved any concerns about these boxers status years ago with complete transparency.

I’m still no closer to finding out the biological sex of these boxers at birth 

27 minutes ago, Archied said:

Like I've already said, she is a female who was born female. 

Well, if Fs_FTBL says so, I guess that's the end of it.

43 minutes ago, Archied said:

They will almost certainly have been classed as female at birth. Personally, I do agree with the statement that they are female, but am less certain on whether females with these kind of conditions should be allowed to compete in women's sports. Without knowing the exact condition, it's difficult to do any more than guess on the specifics. Also, there's the issue of whether you believe the XY chromosome claim made by the IBA president. If we do accept that as true then there are several types of DSDs that could lead to a female having XY chromosomes.

9 hours ago, Archied said:

Have not given an opinion on this case as it’s nearly impossible to get clear information regards these two boxers , the problem is that it seems to be the case so often now on so many issues and that is  the cause of so many problems , it’s not just x ( never use it ) , there seems an obsession by many that x is the only way and place that people communicate with each other , it really isn’t , yes large numbers use it but those numbers are dwarfed by the number of people who don’t use it , those people have not suddenly become solitary being who don’t interact and communicate with each other , yes platforms like x and they’re owners have a part in things whether that’s musk or the previous who weren't any better but many over estimate its influence and underestimate the amount of people who see stuff on any platform or hear about stuff from there to want to check things out themselves from more sources if it’s something that interests or concerns them

I don't necessarily disagree. X can definitely be a bit of a bubble. It's hard to gauge how much of an impact it has on the real world.

But we should probably leave it there as it has nothing to do with the Olympics!

11 hours ago, Archied said:

I literally get all my information from this forum. I don’t have an X account. So I’m relying on everyone here to be reliable. Now you’re telling me your sources are X. Now I don’t know what to think!

10 hours ago, Gaspode said:

But no one ever said he was English, he wouldn’t claim to be English, so why would anyone expect him to support England. He’s British and Scottish. That doesn’t mean he’s obliged to be a fan of England.