Next England Manager/Head Coach/Ambassador/Whatever

So who's it going to be?

I've seen articles claiming anyone from Smug Eddie through Frankie Boy (according to that senile old goat Harry redknapp), and even a rumour that the FA are making Pep an "unbelievable" offer.

What do England need and who's best placed to deliver?

2 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

So who's it going to be?

I've seen articles claiming anyone from Smug Eddie through Frankie Boy (according to that senile old goat Harry redknapp), and even a rumour that the FA are making Pep an "unbelievable" offer.

What do England need and who's best placed to deliver?

Small tweaks.

That's all.

They should be looking for the continuity candidate. No big egos. No big changes required.

Somebody who understands tournament football. Someone who can  handle the politics. Someone who can create a good team spirit and handle player egos.

We don't need a coach as such. Clubs do the coaching. We do need an astute tactician to get the best out of players in-game.

1 hour ago, therealhantsram said:

Small tweaks.

That's all.

They should be looking for the continuity candidate. No big egos. No big changes required.

Somebody who understands tournament football. Someone who can  handle the politics. Someone who can create a good team spirit and handle player egos.

We don't need a coach as such. Clubs do the coaching. We do need an astute tactician to get the best out of players in-game.

This.

I reckon there's a pretty decent chance it'll be one of four candidates: Either promote Carsley or hire one of Potter, Tuchel or Pochettino. Depends a lot on what approach the FA want to take, but I'd say they're the four stand out candidates depending on how they want to go about it.

I think it'll end up being Carsley, who I think would do a decent job. He plays good football with the U21s and has been part of the FA's set-up for a while, which they'll like. That's obviously the path Southgate took, which didn't stand us too badly. Spain took that approach with their current manager who went one better. Germany (kind of) took that approach with Low, who was their assistant, and was very successful there.

There seems to be a big difference between international and domestic football for what works. There was paper talk about Guardiola next year when his City contract expires, or Klopp who is currently taking a break.

It wouldn't surprise me if Carsley is appointed interim with the supposed view of going for Guardiola when he's available. Carsley then has a successful Nations League (we should win the group with maximum points) and a good start to a simple WC qualifying group, and is kept on permanently once more have warmed to the idea.

1 minute ago, Kernow said:

I think it'll end up being Carsley, who I think would do a decent job. He plays good football with the U21s and has been part of the FA's set-up for a while, which they'll like. That's obviously the path Southgate took, which didn't stand us too badly. Spain took that approach with their current manager who went one better. Germany (kind of) took that approach with Low, who was their assistant, and was very successful there.

There seems to be a big difference between international and domestic football for what works. There was paper talk about Guardiola next year when his City contract expires, or Klopp who is currently taking a break.

It wouldn't surprise me if Carsley is appointed interim with the supposed view of going for Guardiola when he's available. Carsley then has a successful Nations League (we should win the group with maximum points) and a good start to a simple WC qualifying group, and is kept on permanently once more have warmed to the idea.

The big question is whether he could handle the pressure. Southgate had come through the Euro 96 hammering and was prepared for the scrutiny as a result.

Not saying Carsley couldn't face up to it, but it would be completely different to anything he's experienced before.

Just now, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

The big question is whether he could handle the pressure. Southgate had come through the Euro 96 hammering and was prepared for the scrutiny as a result.

Not saying Carsley couldn't face up to it, but it would be completely different to anything he's experienced before.

We wouldn't really know until we got there. The FA seem to like the pathway route for coaches, and I think that anyone appointed as U21 manager would be with a view of maybe being capable to step-up one day.

He's turned down Ireland recently, not the most attractive prospect I know, but being a senior manager must have some appeal to him. One reason for him staying could be a better job coming up. Either way I think we won't rush into a decision, the Nations League should be fairly simple and the qualifiers don't start for 8 months yet. If he's interim, he's at least got a chance to show something to the powers that be.

I’m on the Carsley band wagon. 

No point going for a successful club manager unless is Carlo A who’s style is ‘let good players play and keep everyone happy’. 

Not enough time with the players to get in someone with an intricate system of playing. If you’re going for a systems based approach you’d be better off employing them as a director of football for the whole FA and get all teams playing in that way from school boys onwards. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/07/2024 at 16:25, bimmerman said:

It's got to be sarina weigmann-won everything with the women's team, tactically astute, already works for the fa. 

Got similar credentials...

...sticks to her favourites even when out of form

...gets nice runs through major tournaments (Colombia Nigeria and Australia to get to WC 2023)

...leaves subs too long 

Get in

• 3 weeks later...

Carsley's squad looks like he's planning a few years ahead. A few other players he could have called up to get results and arguably five himself a better chance of being permanent manager.

Somewhat fortunate that more established players have been injured or not playing yet, so it'll be interesting to see new faces in the upcoming games vs Ireland and Finland.