Sibley gone

If Cocu had stayed (or if we had had a manger that actually improves players) he would've turned into a much better player. 

We should've sold him when we had the chance. For his benefit and ours.

Real shame but sometimes perhaps it's just time to move on and maybe he wants a fresh challenge as much as not really getting the role he wants here - doubt it was really entirely about money. A good lad and pulling on the shirt always seemed to really mean something to him.

Anyway, I'm sure he'll always get a great reception on his return. Good luck Sibbo and thanks for everything. Always a 🐏

26 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I assume some of your 10 are to replace players we haven't yet sold?

We already have 21 first teamers (including Brown), so I would expect 7/8 signings, plus replacements for those sold.

1/2 GKs, 1 CB, 4 CMs (or 3 CMs and 1 LWB if Osborn will be used in the middle), and 1 CF

There are some players that aren’t exactly ‘surplus to requirements’ but were sparingly used in League One, nevermind in the Championship. 

We also have to account for injuries, not sure what the numbers were last season but it felt like we had more than our fair share and it’s safe to say there will be more to come this season. It’s inevitable in football. Osborn, for example, has had regular muscle injuries over the past 24 months and will miss games. Forsyth, Collins, Vickers, Bradley, Wilson, Ward and even the likes of Barkhuizen, Blackett Taylor and Mendez-Laing are all unlikely to play an injury free season. 

I believe we’ve lost 11 players, including Sibley, now irrespective of how many (Embleton, Gayle, etc) games they played for the club.  We’ve signed 3 which leaves a balance of 8 and considering how large the bench is and how intense the league is, we surely want to be building a squad to withstand the rigours of the league.

We also have to account for some signings just completely being way off the standard, at least initially, so the club have to make sure they’re as prepared as possible to not leave themselves short for all of the above. 

We still have very significant work to do in this squad to go into the season and avoid any pitfalls along the way. 

Posted (edited)

Not good enough to play as a 10. Good shot when the ball drops in the right place, but no guile or creativity.

I do think he is underrated at wing back. Both of our good runs in League 1 were when Sibley was there. He wasn't perfect defensively, but his positioning was usually, and instinctively right. He worked hard, provided an out ball and moved the ball forward well.

My prediction is that if he embraces the wing back position, he'll have a good career in the Championship. If he pursues the number 10 option, he'll gradually fall down the leagues and be at Micklover before he turns 30.

Edited by CornwallRam

I guess Sibbo’s a bit of a gamble for a new club really. No recent proven consistency as an AM, not a true LWB/LB, not blessed with great pace, could get booked in the car park! Good luck to him if he can get a hefty payday somewhere else, and obviously he’ll benefit from being a free agent. He’s got a lot to prove in his desired position at a new club though, and that might be at odds with a bumper contract.

6 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

My prediction is that if he embraces the wing back position, he'll have a good career in the Championship.

Said this towards the end of last season. I just remember him doing a pre-match last year where he was clear he saw himself as an AM.

2 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Mods, move thread to ex rams.

No, being serious, I think it's probably good for both parties and I hope he finds somewhere he can properly thrive.

There's deffo something in him that has never quite formulated into "yes, that's the player Sibs is"

Or the manager.

Posted (edited)

Always disappointing when one of your own leaves.  That said, he hasn’t lived up to expectations.  Great start, and in a way that may have hindered him because expectations were raised.  But he’s been inconsistent in the AM position.  And despite what fans think, there must be some reasons why a succession of managers haven’t played him there.  Fair play to Warne, he turned him into a decent wing back.

Good luck Louie.  Once a ram…… 🐏.

Edited by FlyBritishMidland

6 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

But we've had that sense with Sibley under several managers at this point.

Mel searched Europe for a manager that could bring out the best in our crop of academy players coming through. Knight , Bird , Sibley , Cashin, Thomson etc . He came up with Cocu . ( But didn’t give him the time)It’s worrying that we are now filling our squad with players 30 +. I hope it’s a short term strategy. 

2 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Mel searched Europe for a manager that could bring out the best in our crop of academy players coming through. Knight , Bird , Sibley , Cashin, Thomson etc . He came up with Cocu . ( But didn’t give him the time)It’s worrying that we are now filling our squad with players 30 +. I hope it’s a short term strategy. 

Watched Netherlands beat Romania today, and do they move the ball around with pace, and precision passing, making so much space for one another. Cocu was a great loss for us, with time sure he would have built a great team. I maybe wrong, but was this the time Mel started showing his financial problems.

Somehow managed to play himself into being a wingback snd was probably overpaid due to his contract given out by MM previously. His best position is apparently a number 10 yet he’s only played well there for a few games under Cocu 4 years ago. Good shot on him but ball control under pressure is nowhere near good enough for that position.

Wouldn't  be surprised to see him end up at Birmingham who seem to be signing everyone in that league.

Always suspected this was going to be the final outcome when he didn't sign a new deal immediately post-season. 

First & foremost, really sorry to see him go - never nice to lose a lad from the Academy & especially one who clearly loves the club. It's ironic that he has decided to leave after finally finding a regular role in the team for the first time since his emergence in summer 2020. Its also the position I believe suits him the best despite us all hoping that he'd emerge into the first choice attacking midfielder/number 10 role he played in the Academy. The reality is his first touch, lack of pace & limited physicality have restricted his opportunities there & it's been a pattern played out with a few managers now. At LWB those deficiencies were masked much better & his stamina & undoubted quality shone through - its a shame either he or Warne didn't see him as a Championship starter in that position as I thought he'd kick on this season.

I wish him all the very best going forward - once a Ram always a Ram Louie 🐏