Mathew Ryan - signed by AS Roma

Bubbles

Just now, StarterForTen said:

I see your glass is half empty again. 

Again? I'm just offering an opinion. I didn't even say he would be crap, just that I was underwhelmed and the perfectly valid reasons why.

Genuinely excited by our interest in Goudmijn. Think Jackson is a good signing on a 2 year deal, think Osborne is a good deal too. Wasn't enamoured by re-signing Collins. It's mad to think that not everything is s****, and not everything is amazing. Strange how that works.

Posted (edited)

It's nigh on impossible to accurately judge a player's ability solely on the fact they've played one season in a successful team, or otherwise.

However 

14 clean sheets, "unbelievable saves, incredible distribution" in a team playing "suicide football" and a "great character"

... sign him up!

Edited by May Contain Nuts

Must admit out of the 3 names linked with us. Hladký as the 4th man and trusting @SECornerRAM i'm a tad underwhelmed. 

Think he'll be a solid signing, but Iversen and Rodak are better age wise and I'd accepted it would be Ryan with all the twitter noise. 

Think when the dust settles he'll be useful, but don't remember Ipswich being obnoxiously good in defence last season. They just seemed to keep scoring last minute winners.

56 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

You what? Who would you want. Hladky just played every minute for an Ipswich side who were automatically promoted from the championship. On a free transfer for 2/3 years as a first choice he’s definitely not underwhelming.

Would you prefer ryan though? I would? Or someone around 27/28 years old? On paper he's not better than Wildsmith had a good season through injury but would you have a striker that had 1 good season in last 5 years or so? Over a proven striker?

3 minutes ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

Would you prefer ryan though? I would? Or someone around 27/28 years old? On paper he's not better than Wildsmith had a good season through injury but would you have a striker that had 1 good season in last 5 years or so? Over a proven striker?

He’s had 3 good seasons in his last 6 seasons. Obviously I’d rather Iverson but his wages are too high and the fee probably is too. I’d imagine we want to spend our money on a striker and midfield. It’s a good deal and just cause it’s not as appealing as other names doesn’t mean he won’t turn out to be great for us.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Think when the dust settles he'll be useful, but don't remember Ipswich being obnoxiously good in defence last season. They just seemed to keep scoring last minute winners.

Doesn't that count in his favour though?

Having the 6th best defensive record but with fans putting it down to the keeper's performance rather than the ability of the players in front of him to defend.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

I don't mind the older experienced keeper links at all. As has been mentioned, the club thinks very highly of Jack Thompson and signing a keeper in their prime, or coming up to it, may make it appear more difficult for the lad to see a pathway into the first team. I believe an experienced keeper with the right attributes would benefit his development a lot and the club are possibly looking at how any potential signing could help be a mentor for him.

Out of the names mentioned, I think Ryan would be my preference based on experience and amount of matches at the top-level and as an established international, but if Hladky is available and a considerable saving on wages in comparison, then he's not a bad option at all.

Maybe Vickers is looking elsewhere and we need more than one keeper signing?

3 minutes ago, roboto said:

I don't mind the older experienced keeper links at all. As has been mentioned, the club thinks very highly of Jack Thompson and signing a keeper in their prime, or coming up to it, may make it appear more difficult for the lad to see a pathway into the first team. I believe an experienced keeper with the right attributes would benefit his development a lot and the club are possibly looking at how any potential signing could help be a mentor for him.

Out of the names mentioned, I think Ryan would be my preference based on experience and amount of matches at the top-level and as an established international, but if Hladky is available and a considerable saving on wages in comparison, then he's not a bad option at all.

Maybe Vickers is looking elsewhere and we need more than one keeper signing?

Did cross my mind.

I’d love Ryan or Rodak. Not so keen on Iversen and don’t know enough about Hladky.

Hladky went into the season as number 2 for Ipswich, Walton got a long term injury and he then got his chance.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see more than 1 keeper arrive. Warne’s comments about getting better than we’ve got when Wildsmith was leaving will hardly inspire Vickers, so if he ends up moving on Hladky could well be a replacement for him.

He’s the kind of signing I’d expect us to make as a newly promoted side. The likes of Mat Ryan, Iversen or Rodak would’ve been well above expectations so I’m still hoping there are plans for one of those to be #1.

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

In defence of @SECornerRAM they broke injury news before a number of matches last season that hadn’t been mentioned anywhere else. Also mentioned the Icelandic midfielder Thordarson back at the start of June which was way before this weekend’s story by a Danish journalist. Has also got some bits wrong I think. But there’s at least some suggestion of them having a source at the club, or having a wire tap in an office, or compromising pictures of Matt Hamshaw or something leading to at least some sort of info leak. 

FWIW Of all the “ITKs” @SECornerRAM and @StarterForTen are the ones I see as consistently on the money.   Regarding getting stuff occasionally wrong, I think it’s often because circumstances change (either on the club or player side) - and the stories behind all of their posts just seem to scan right to me.

The thing that would concern me most regarding the Hladky signing is that, for me, he’s not an improvement on Wildsmith. 

If you’re going to let the league one golden glove winner go you need to be doing it because you can bring in better. 

5 minutes ago, goodgollymickbrolly said:

FWIW Of all the “ITKs” @SECornerRAM and @StarterForTen are the ones I see as consistently on the money.   Regarding getting stuff occasionally wrong, I think it’s often because circumstances change (either on the club or player side) - and the stories behind all of their posts just seem to scan right to me.

It does.  We literally had Mark Harris undies on a peg in the changing room last .  Changed route and went to Oxford after a medical.  Rodriguez was at Moor farm last season. He didn't sign as deemed to expensive with options we had. 

1 hour ago, May Contain Nuts said:

It's nigh on impossible to accurately judge a player's ability solely on the fact they've played one season in a successful team, or otherwise.

However 

14 clean sheets, "unbelievable saves, incredible distribution" in a team playing "suicide football" and a "great character"

... sign him up!

and a part time gimp looking at those gloves.  Wear the whole ensemble and terrify them into missing when one on one. 

36 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

The thing that would concern me most regarding the Hladky signing is that, for me, he’s not an improvement on Wildsmith. 

If you’re going to let the league one golden glove winner go you need to be doing it because you can bring in better. 

Hladky is much better than Wildsmith

3 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

In defence of @SECornerRAM they broke injury news before a number of matches last season that hadn’t been mentioned anywhere else. Also mentioned the Icelandic midfielder Thordarson back at the start of June which was way before this weekend’s story by a Danish journalist. Has also got some bits wrong I think. But there’s at least some suggestion of them having a source at the club, or having a wire tap in an office, or compromising pictures of Matt Hamshaw or something leading to at least some sort of info leak. 

Called the Puma thing long before anywhere else and the kits from memory.

As far as ITK’s go, he’s top of the pile for me.