Karamoko Dembele - Gone to QPR on loan

5 hours ago, rammieib said:

Where has a 3m fee suddenly come from on a player who was apparently available for free?

Any time we’ve wasted on this one another abject failure from the off field team.

I wish we could sell players we don’t want for 3 million. No league 1 player, which is what he was last season, is worth chucking 3 million at. He has been poor everywhere else he has been other than Blackpool. Worth a shout for under a million, and that is about it, but if we were in for him, we must have known he was out of our price range.

8 hours ago, vonwright said:

Well yes but we've been talking about this one for weeks and then he goes for 3m euros. Which a) suggests (if we have spent time on this) we're not being realistic in choosing targets, and therefore wasting valuable time, but also b) should make everyone involved think hard about what a 'competitive' budget looks like these days.

We on here may have been talking about it, but we don’t know that the club have.   He could have been chosen as a target, we enquired, tried to negotiate for a bit and realised we’re getting nowhere.  For all we know, we could have knocked this on on the head weeks ago.

5 hours ago, rammieib said:

Where has a 3m fee suddenly come from on a player who was apparently available for free?

Any time we’ve wasted on this one another abject failure from the off field team.

Free to leave, not leave for free.  There’s a difference.

7 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

To be honest, 3m is an absolutely crazy fee for a player who’s basically only had one season of regular football at senior level. I’m somewhat glad we haven’t gone in for him at that price. The worrying thing is, who will we get instead? I’m really not seeing much “competitiveness” in our budget…

You said so yourself £3m is crazy… doesn’t mean we don’t have £3m though, it just means we are smart enough not to waste what we do have. 

Obviously missing out on one target isn’t the end of the world, particularly when he’s just one target that’s made it to the press via the blokes agent

But we do very clearly need an injection of creativity/flair in the final third, Dembele would have been a good answer to that

Looking at how expensive the market is and how potentially up against it we’ll be this season, the loan market suddenly doesn’t look too unappetising - even if you are paying 1 million for a season, you can potentially get someone more talented than a Dembele who can help keep us up and then allow us to fill that winger/attacking mid spot permanently next summer once we’ve got another season of Championship money guaranteed.

4 hours ago, Ramslad1992 said:

You said so yourself £3m is crazy… doesn’t mean we don’t have £3m though, it just means we are smart enough not to waste what we do have. 

True, but I’m getting quite concerned right now at the weakness of our squad and our recruitment so far 

4 hours ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

We on here may have been talking about it, but we don’t know that the club have.   He could have been chosen as a target, we enquired, tried to negotiate for a bit and realised we’re getting nowhere.  For all we know, we could have knocked this on on the head weeks ago.

Free to leave, not leave for free.  There’s a difference.

I guess - in terms of what targets the club does or doesn't have - we will see what happens next.

Dembele, at that price, might have been the wrong player. But if there is money in the bank we urgently need to reinforce the squad. Good players are expensive; players that everyone knows might turn out good (like Dembele) are also expensive. That's just football and if we do indeed have a 'competitive' budget, now's the time to show it. 

I was pretty excited by the (unconfirmed) links to this lad, but £3M is an absurd price to pay. He may go on to show something we haven't seen as yet, but the notional (and admittedly subjective) price I had in my head was around 1/3rd of Brest's demands.

It's a shame in some regards, but it's far from the end of the world.

It seems to be widely accepted that we were in for him. And surely we would have known the sort of ballpark figure required to get him.

So does this mean we would have been prepared to spend a significant amount? And that's there perhaps more in the budget than we think?

29 minutes ago, Scott129 said:

It seems to be widely accepted that we were in for him. And surely we would have known the sort of ballpark figure required to get him.

So does this mean we would have been prepared to spend a significant amount? And that's there perhaps more in the budget than we think?

I think you may be scratching around for an upside here Scott, but I like your thinking so I'm with you all the way.

Now, who else could we get for £3M 😂

20 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

I think you may be scratching around for an upside here Scott, but I like your thinking so I'm with you all the way.

Now, who else could we get for £3M 😂

Haha thanks. I'm not saying 3m, but it seems unlikely that we'd be bidding £250k for a guy worth that much.

3 minutes ago, Scott129 said:

Haha thanks. I'm not saying 3m, but it seems unlikely that we'd be bidding £250k for a guy worth that much.

Fully agree Scott. I thought we'd be able to pick him up for around £1M which shows how much (little) I know.

Just read that Divin Mubama is still without a club so perhaps there's an opportunity there? Profile-wise, he seems to fit the brief.

EDIT - Auto-correct changing his name to Diving Mubama 😋

19 minutes ago, BuckoBeast said:

Sky reporting loan to QPR with option to buy for 1.4 mill 

Oh no fans will go into meltdown at that sensible and good offer , although it is a very good deal loan with option to buy at a fair price 👀