People who are universally loved

11 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Dolly Parton?

She has made an appearance on the cover of Classic Rock magazine (dec last year). Released a covers album of rock songs. \m/

After my drive up the M6 today, I would say Dave Myers of Hairy Bikers fame.

Day for Dave was today and reportedly 10000-25000 bikers made their way to Barrow in Furness in charitable tribute to Dave.

I started noticing spectators on bridges over the M6 around Staffordshire, then when traffic came to a halt, must've seen 1000 bikes weaving through. It was quite an impressive spectacle.

On 07/06/2024 at 23:33, uttoxram75 said:

A bit less serious than some others mentioned but nonetheless valid. For us old uns anyway.

Bobby Moore and Bobby Charlton. 

Possibly the two most loved football players in England. Not even fans of the biggest rivals of the clubs they played for disliked them.

Moore was a wrong un away from football by all accounts

Geoffrey Palmer (the actor for Butterflies) once stopped to help my sister, who had broken down, and gave her a lift to Bakewell in his Bentley.

Boy, George just laughed and offered to buy me a drink when I told him his mixing was crap in the VIP bar at Heaven in London. I wasn't being nasty, I was just chemically enhanced. 

Matthew Parris was a fabulous local MP and a really nice guy, too.

7 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Was he?

I can't recall much bad about him back in the day but may well have missed it.

I might have mixed up moore with another player , I was pretty sure there were stories of drinking , domestic stuff and being involved with some shady characters but have searched and can’t seem to find any reports now 🤷🏻‍♂️

2 hours ago, Archied said:

I might have mixed up moore with another player , I was pretty sure there were stories of drinking , domestic stuff and being involved with some shady characters but have searched and can’t seem to find any reports now 🤷🏻‍♂️

Moore was a very heavy drinker and was fined once for drinking until the early hours at a night club prior to a cup match, and was banned from driving for 3 years, but apart from poor business dealings, there was nothing else that crawled out of the woodwork

14 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Matthew Parris was a fabulous local MP and a really nice guy, too.

He wrote a good article in the Times defending Derby after that Which? survey. He's loyal to his roots and I respect that.

On 08/06/2024 at 20:20, BaaLocks said:

I'm the biggest Ali fan from a boxing perspective but politically he had some quite challenging beliefs, particularly around mixed race marriage. He also was a pretty poor husband until very late in life. But what a boxer!!!

I'm not agreeing about all his views, I'm just noticing that I have met a lot of people on my travels from all over the world that LOVED the guy.

On his beliefs about mixed race marriages i don't think they were anything special at the time regardless if you were black or white. Unfortunately those beliefs are very strong there even today.

All the guys I named I have found universally loved all over the world. Naturally for their talent. I doubt that any of them were saints. A very few people are.

Of all the rock musicians that have passed on, I'd say Randy Rhoads. His death was not through lifestyle abuse like so many but the result of a tragic accident. His quiet, gentle persona was very different to others of the rock music genre. Totally focused on the guitar, he was surely destined for greater things. Ozzy fans of a certain vintage still shed a tear over his loss.