Transfer rumours

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

New striker on the way in?

image.png.4ced8f8989e05c46d29ab803002fdb36.png

Statement coming out of Pride Park 11.10pm Friday:

We did all we could to get a couple in, one was very close but we didn’t quite get it done. There is an awful lot of competition out there with a lot of clubs chasing the same players. We will continue to explore the free agent market to strengthen the squad…..

1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Statement coming out of Pride Park 11.10pm Friday:

We did all we could to get a couple in, one was very close but we didn’t quite get it done. There is an awful lot of competition out there with a lot of clubs chasing the same players. We will continue to explore the free agent market to strengthen the squad…..

With the usual "If I don't feel a player is right for this group then I won't bring them in"

Although I do wonder if they are getting ready to sound the alarm at Pride Park when 5 players rock up tomorrow night and that is why they were testing it at 2 this morning.

With transfers Im struggling to understand the clubs thinking. Yes we know the club has to be run better and we cant do the big fees anymore. But if we do go back down this year and we have the prospect of league one again. We know there is no garuntee of getting straight out of it again, it’s a competitive league. Surely the club would be better of risking 1 or 2 million to strengthen on a decent striker and defender to give us our best chance of survival over doing nothing and hoping for the best? TV money alone next season will be worth the gamble. It’s like we’re just accepting that we’re likely to be a yo-yo team between the champ and league 1. 

If we go down again this year without a fight, I can’t see us getting 26k-30k gates in league one again. Be lucky to get 20k. So another financial gamble. Especially when it’s because the club hasn’t prepared for this season properly.  

This is going to be a dire season unless we get a couple in that are actually proven at this level. 

1 hour ago, DavesaRam said:

Sadly a major problem with Morgan Whitaker is that we only gave him bit parts out of position. Giving him “bit parts” is fine to introduce him slowly is fine, but playing him out of position and then dumping him for not performing is ridiculous, but it’s what Derby County do. 

We didn’t play him out of position, we played him wide of a three (his position now). But we played him too early but probably due to necessity. Rooney may not have helped him but he was not ready he shouldn’t have even been getting bit part games. He should’ve been out on loan or allowed to continue in u21s. His ability was always there, I always said out of that crop of players he had the highest ceiling and think that will be the case, but he looked lost whenever he played, like he was always waiting for something, he never had any belief he belonged there, he didn’t find that belief for another two seasons it was only that Plymouth loan where it all clicked and he’s never looked back. Given what happened to us in that period, maybe we would’ve done what we did with Cashin  and maybe could’ve signed him to a deal and reaped the benefits now, or more likely we would’ve ended up cashing in or he would’ve done a Buchanan or a Festy on us. The situation Mel left us with meant we couldn’t truly benefit from arguably the best academy crop we’ve had and has set us back years in developing the next crop. There is not one player in the academy right now who is ready for the first team. Not one. That coupled with not having a huge budget means this season will be very difficult. Even pep would struggle!! 

5 minutes ago, DCFC1976 said:

Todd Cantwell off to Blackburn for £500,000, surely we can afford that?

We are desperate for a player to create something in midfield . Cantwell is 26 and played well in the Championship. Rangers are desperate for cash . If we can’t compete at that price - we may as well forget any ambitions of improvement.

6 minutes ago, DCFC1976 said:

Todd Cantwell off to Blackburn for £500,000, surely we can afford that?

Most likely high wages after being the next big thing at Norwich a few years ago. Looking at the Scottish Sun's article they reckon he's taking a wage cut but also say "it's claimed his salary will still represent a bumper contract for Blackburn and the English Championship as a whole."

He'd be the perfect answer in attacking midfield for us to compliment the likes of Adams, Kenzo, Thompson and Ozoh. Would I sacrifice 2-3 players to pay for Cantwell? Yes. Washington, Barkhuizen/Ward and the Wolves chap for Cantwell on a permanent - only 26 years old, previously very well regarded and just needs a good home again. Had proved himself at Rangers, 14 goals and 12 assists in 64 games. I can see him being another of those players bought for relatively cheap, having a half decent season then flogged to a lower Premiership team for £5-10m in a year or two.