Transfer rumours

13 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Heard any more since your original post?

Basically what’s now been published by Nixon - we enquired about him but been rebuffed until they get suitable replacements. 

Personally, I’m disappointed we aren’t in for Taylor as his re-sale value will rocket with a selection of goals in Championship. Woodrow wouldn’t have that as a loan or a permanent at the end. However, we’re needing a taller focal point rather than a smaller striker. 

15 hours ago, angieram said:

Yes, we can afford to spend 35% of Middlesbrough 's budget per player.

1 hour ago, rynny said:

What is your obsession with Boro and how much they are spending?

39 minutes ago, rynny said:

Ah I see makes perfect sense now...

Season 3 Whatever GIF by The Office

Roymac used the example of us paying £1.4million for Zetterstrom was the equivalent evidence of us having money to enable us to compete with Middlesbrough paying £4million for a player.

I was just pointing out the discrepancy. I wished I hadn't. 

38 minutes ago, angieram said:

Roymac used the example of us paying £1.4million for Zetterstrom was the equivalent evidence of us having money to enable us to compete with Middlesbrough paying £4million for a player.

I was just pointing out the discrepancy. I wished I hadn't. 

You're a bit literal of course with anything that seems vaguely anti-Warne 😄 Do you know how much our budget is? How much will be left over after spending £1.4m on Zetterstrom? How much we could spend on a striker instead of  Zetterstrom if we wished? A whole Barker? 😄

Edited by RoyMac5

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You're a bit literal of course with anything that seems vaguely anti-Warne 😄 Do you know how much our budget is? How much will be left over after spending £1.4m on Zetterstrom? How much we could spend on a striker instead of  Zetterstrom if we wished? A whole Barker? 😄

How do you know it’s £1.4 million.

15 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Let’s stop seeing transfer fees as money spent, for one. Middlesbrough have just invested £4m on an intangible asset, who by all accounts has fantastic potential. If he does well, even if above average at this level, the likelihood is that £4m investment returns a very healthy profit. 

We don’t know what our budget is, but by the sounds of it we are going to be spending the majority of it on the loan market - which will allow us to plug the gap of quality for this coming season. 

I will make this one critique of Clowes’ under his ownership of Derby County, at first team level we have become a massively short-term thinning club. We have invested money in the here and now, older players on 1,2 year deals, which I sort of got as we were in League One and wanted a quick return. However, we have done the same again this season: only Goudmijn and Zetterstrom will represent investments. Yates and Ozoh are both loans. Osborn, Jackson and Adams are for short-term pick ups, i.e little resale value. Pearce seemed to indicate we would just be in the loan market now. 

We may make 10-12 signings this summer and only two can be considered investments. I personally don’t think that’s how a smart club operates. I know we are trying to change that approach and have made efforts - but the results clearly fly in the face of what we are trying to do. 

I think the way we’re having to deal in the market is still a legacy of administration.  Whichever division we were in this season a rebuild was needed due to players out of contract and loans expiring.  We’ve got a budget to spread pretty thinly.

The strategy this year could be to focus the permanent signings in the keeper and midfield positions as that’s where we needed the numbers.  We can cover gaps in other areas in loans.  Next summer, as we’ve got those positions on 3-4 year contracts, we can then look at permanent signings in the defence and striker positions.  That way you’re rotating the areas you need to sign in and making the most of your budget in those areas, rather than across the entire squad.

The other aspect to loans is player development.  This is where I think Cocu had it right.  He idea was that if your own player is probably a year away from being ready for the first team, why make a permanent signing on a 3 or 4 year deal.  You’re blocking your own players path to the first team.  Instead, loan a player in, let your own player develop for a season, possibly on loan himself, then he’s ready when your loanee returns to his parent club.  Brown might a good example of this.  Yates and Collins are unlikely to be here next year, unless we sign Yates.  Brown, in my view, would benefit from a L1 loan to play and, hopefully, score regularly.  He comes back next season ready to fill a striker position left by Collins / Yates.  Robinson and loaning Ozoh could be another example.

I get why loans may appear short term, but I wonder if it’s more long term and strategic than it might first appear.

1 hour ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

I think the way we’re having to deal in the market is still a legacy of administration.  Whichever division we were in this season a rebuild was needed due to players out of contract and loans expiring.  We’ve got a budget to spread pretty thinly.

The strategy this year could be to focus the permanent signings in the keeper and midfield positions as that’s where we needed the numbers.  We can cover gaps in other areas in loans.  Next summer, as we’ve got those positions on 3-4 year contracts, we can then look at permanent signings in the defence and striker positions.  That way you’re rotating the areas you need to sign in and making the most of your budget in those areas, rather than across the entire squad.

The other aspect to loans is player development.  This is where I think Cocu had it right.  He idea was that if your own player is probably a year away from being ready for the first team, why make a permanent signing on a 3 or 4 year deal.  You’re blocking your own players path to the first team.  Instead, loan a player in, let your own player develop for a season, possibly on loan himself, then he’s ready when your loanee returns to his parent club.  Brown might a good example of this.  Yates and Collins are unlikely to be here next year, unless we sign Yates.  Brown, in my view, would benefit from a L1 loan to play and, hopefully, score regularly.  He comes back next season ready to fill a striker position left by Collins / Yates.  Robinson and loaning Ozoh could be another example.

I get why loans may appear short term, but I wonder if it’s more long term and strategic than it might first appear.

One of the more sensible posts I've read today.Well said that man 👍👍