Transfer rumours

11 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Do you genuinely think that? I would have to disagree with you there. Can't see us getting anything out of the game if we're starting Vickers, Bradley, Elder, Collins...

Appreciate that is quite pessimistic but I think this team really struggles as it stands and our pre-season so far supports that (hopefully that changes tonight, though). 

Why couldn't we beat Blackburn with Vickers in goal? I don't get the hate he gets. I have never seen him make a mistake. Is it because we know we are close to the Swede keeper and now all of a sudden because he won't be in goal then Vickers is not good enough and we will likely get beat cos he is in goal? Same with Elder. Injury disrupted season last season, we havent seen anywhere near enough of him. Seems to have come back fit and in good shape.

We're playing Blackburn. Not Barca.

22 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

A month left of the transfer window and some people are panicking. Crazy.

If it was 31st August today, I would share your concerns.

Warne has said himself we do not have enough goals in the team, he wants an attacking midfielder/number 10 and a striker. 

He has also said these will be likely be loans an when you want decent loans, you have to wait and you have to be patient (evidently people are not)

He said he was hopeful of having players in for Blackburn, but if we don't, we don't. Plenty of time and a big long season. Our team now is good enough to go to Blackburn and win. 

If the manager came out and said he was happy with the team and nobody else would be coming in, I would be worried.

But he has said the opposite. 

There will be at least 5-6 more in. 

Generally speaking, I agree.

However, Derby still pretty much need the spine of a team . GK, centre half and centre forward. If we leave it into August it’ll take maybe a month to get all these new players together. You’re talking potentially 8-10 games. We need to start well. Blackburn is a big game as I think they’ll struggle. Ideally we need to have that spine together now and then build around that. In what could be a tight league, I’d hate for us to start slow. When signing 12 or so players it will be more difficult to get them all to be a cohesive unit. I’d agree with your points if we only needed 4-5 players in total, but 12 is a big squad overhaul. 

Edited by OoooMarkWright

1 minute ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Why couldn't we beat Blackburn with Vickers in goal? I don't get the hate he gets. I have never seen him make a mistake. Is it because we know we are close to the Swede keeper and now all of a sudden because he won't be in goal then Vickers is not good enough and we will likely get beat cos he is in goal? Same with Elder. Injury disrupted season last season, we havent seen anywhere near enough of him. Seems to have come back fit and in good shape.

I agree that we shouldn’t get too negative about our chances but TBF to Nuwtfly if you compare the four he mentioned to the other championship teams, we look a little weak.

Elder and Collins are journeyman players whose best years are behind them. They could just about hack it in League One. Bradley played quite well at the end of the season and it’s to be hoped that he remains a good squad player but we already have better central defenders.

Vickers is okay, but not as good as Wildsmith who is going to be a number two at a championship club.

37 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Hmm. I think you’re being very generous there. If he was so good why would we be in the market for a keeper? Why would he have favoured Wildsmith last season?

I can’t think of the specific game last season but I can remember enough errors to justify Warne’s selection of Wildsmith. 

Perhaps I will be a proved wrong by the end of the game but I’m not sure what you’ve seen from us so far that makes you think we can beat them. 

15 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Hmm. I think you’re being very generous there. If he was so good why would we be in the market for a keeper? Why would he have favoured Wildsmith last season?

I can’t think of the specific game last season but I can remember enough errors to justify Warne’s selection of Wildsmith. 

Perhaps I will be a proved wrong by the end of the game but I’m not sure what you’ve seen from us so far that makes you think we can beat them. 

Wildsmith was first choice, he had a honking week then Vickers got his chance and then suffered injury. Wildsmith went back in goal and from memory, I'm not sure Vickers made another squad (or if he did it was late on in the season). 

If we weren't to sign any players between now and Blackburn, our team would probably be: Vickers; Nelson, Bradley, Cashin; Wilson, Adams, Osborn, Elder; Jackson, Mendez-Laing; Collins

When comparing with our end of season team, we've essentially replaced first choice options in Wildsmith and Sibley with their backups in Vickers and Elder. We've also replaced Smith for Osborn (an improvement) but lost Bird for Jackson. Overall, our starting 11 is currently weaker than last season.

It's still obvious we're 5 starters short of where we want to be. We just need to hope we get most of those sooner rather than later

1 hour ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Also Blackburn probably won’t have Smodics or Gallagher , they were poor last season mostly with them. 

23 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

We are in the marker for a keeper because we only have one! 

Vickers did come in last season, as Wildsmith made errors and was completely off it, nowhere near the level he was the season before.

Vickers came in. Didn't let anyone down, then got injured. Which let Wildsmith back in.

I am not saying Vickers is number one material. But he isn't that bad.

8 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

If we weren't to sign any players between now and Blackburn, our team would probably be: Vickers; Nelson, Bradley, Cashin; Wilson, Adams, Osborn, Elder; Jackson, Mendez-Laing; Collins

When comparing with our end of season team, we've essentially replaced first choice options in Wildsmith and Sibley with their backups in Vickers and Elder. We've also replaced Smith for Osborn (an improvement) but lost Bird for Jackson. Overall, our starting 11 is currently weaker than last season.

It's still obvious we're 5 starters short of where we want to be. We just need to hope we get most of those sooner rather than later

I would be amazed if Kenzo & Ozoh didnt start to be honest.

Blackburn away…. 

Hit them on the break. Pace up front, solid at the back with Adams and Ozoh holding in midfield. Yates is suspended so stick with a 3-5-2. Then when he comes back and we are home look at 3-4-3 with NML and Jackson/CBT either side. 

Vickers

Nyambe Nelson  Cashin

Wilson      Adams   Ozoh        Oz/Elder

Kenzo

NML.                  Jackson 

2 minutes ago, WorcestershireRam said:

Blackburn away…. 

Hit them on the break. Pace up front, solid at the back with Adams and Ozoh holding in midfield. Yates is suspended so stick with a 3-5-2. Then when he comes back and we are home look at 3-4-3 with NML and Jackson/CBT either side. 

Vickers

Nyambe Nelson  Cashin

Wilson      Adams   Ozoh        Oz/Elder

Kenzo

NML.                  Jackson 

Similar

47 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Nyambe centre half not Bradley

11 minutes ago, SECornerRAM said:

I'll only really post when I hear something significant 

There's 4 I know of but until there's movement I'll keep quiet 

We aren't done in this window by any means (obviously) 

Appreciate the update. Exciting targets?