Transfer rumours

4 hours ago, Ambitious said:

We all have to assume that the budget for a striker is greater than £250k - but if it isn't then I'm not really sure what we can do anyway. 

If we have no money for a competent striker, and Smith is all we can get,surely it's criminal that more time and effort hasn't gone into bringing brown up to scratch

5 minutes ago, TINMANTED said:

If we have no money for a competent striker, and Smith is all we can get,surely it's criminal that more time and effort hasn't gone into bringing brown up to scratch

How exactly would you have got Brown "up to scratch" last season?

We were going for promotion out of the league and there is no way you can stick an 18 year old academy striker in if he's not ready. Sending him out on loan to play is exactly to get him up to scratch? What more would you like us to have done?

You're talking like we have no money for a striker when Warne has openly said we are after a new striker. The window is just over a month away from closing. 

Edited by MACKWORTHRAM
error

6 minutes ago, TINMANTED said:

Conversely I can see an argument to say extending Collins for another year and signing another old head like Smith covers the position for the short term and allows Brown to go on loan for his development with a longer term role in the first team planned for when Collins and Smith move on.
There are arguments for both throwing young players into the first team if they’re good enough and for taking a slower “loans for development” approach, success stories exist from both approaches (and failures too) throughout football.

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

Just now, TINMANTED said:

When you see Sam Gallagher move for £1.5m then I would make the decision to completely disregard looking at strikers from the English leagues. 

Gallagher isn't without his merits, but he's 28 now and has a career best of 11 league goals. Last season he managed 3 in 24 games. Osula for £10m being quoted - never scored above League One and looked almost comical at times with the ball at his feet. 

Yates was an incredibly smart, value-for-money signing that simply didn't get the credit it should've done. 

If we are to find a striker that can provide us with the quality we need, it sure as s*** isn't coming domestically. 

4 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

When you see Sam Gallagher move for £1.5m then I would make the decision to completely disregard looking at strikers from the English leagues. 

Gallagher isn't without his merits, but he's 28 now and has a career best of 11 league goals. Last season he managed 3 in 24 games. Osula for £10m being quoted - never scored above League One and looked almost comical at times with the ball at his feet. 

Yates was an incredibly smart, value-for-money signing that simply didn't get the credit it should've done. 

If we are to find a striker that can provide us with the quality we need, it sure as s*** isn't coming domestically. 

Absolutely spot on mate. Gallagher 29 next month and is basically a 1 in 5-6 striker. Granted his other attributes could be exactly what we need.

But if £1.5 million gets you that. I would rather spend that on that Lind from Denmark. 

15 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Its almost like its set up for Dajaune Brown.

He is coming back off a successful loan, knows where the net is, has played and excelled at Wembley.  Even for the month of August until we get someone else in, have him up top alongside Yates or Collins, or at least on the bench ready to come on.  If domestically it is going to cost a fortune to get a striker, then try one of our own.

I did listen to a clip from Darragh Macanthony (Peterborough owner) who said the prem clubs touring are all back soon and releasing players on loan from August 2nd who they’ve agreed to loan out (he knows because he’s signed one who’s also being kept until they return). Warne said we’ve one being kept at the club atm so maybe we’ll get our man next week whoever he may be. 

12 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Its almost like its set up for Dajaune Brown.

He is coming back off a successful loan, knows where the net is, has played and excelled at Wembley.  Even for the month of August until we get someone else in, have him up top alongside Yates or Collins, or at least on the bench ready to come on.  If domestically it is going to cost a fortune to get a striker, then try one of our own.

I think Warne and team are playing it quite well with Brown. He's clearly got the right attributes and there must be a massive temptation to throw him straight into the side. But we've all seen the "next big thing" being thrown in the deep end and sinking without a trace. The management team have a lot of faults, but they do seem to be a good judge of characters and they'll know what's best for him at this point in his career.

I'd like him to be in and around the first team, personally, but for us to pin our hopes on him being an important goalscorer for us this year seems like letting our excitement get away with us.

The 3 options for a striker appear to be 

- a free agent

- from abroad

- youngster on loan

The prices of forwards currently in England is ridiculous so no way we will be buying one here.

10 minutes ago, FKANorwichExile said:

I think Warne and team are playing it quite well with Brown. He's clearly got the right attributes and there must be a massive temptation to throw him straight into the side. But we've all seen the "next big thing" being thrown in the deep end and sinking without a trace. The management team have a lot of faults, but they do seem to be a good judge of characters and they'll know what's best for him at this point in his career.

I'd like him to be in and around the first team, personally, but for us to pin our hopes on him being an important goalscorer for us this year seems like letting our excitement get away with us.

Cashin wasn’t perceived to be ready when he got his break in the admin season. He’s been brilliant because he was given that chance, granted out of necessity, but his Derby career could’ve been very different.

Ebosele was also considered very raw, however again he was given that chance and it worked out well for him. There isn’t a set way that youngsters make it to first team level. Loans don’t necessarily mean a player will gradually work their way up. Brown is an ideal build and fits the profile of player we need with pace to burn too. In my opinion I’d keep him around and give him a chance. He could save us lots of money. My major critique of Warne is he doesn’t seem keen to unleash young talent. It will be interesting to see how Brown is handled.

If we end up spending £1.4m on Zetterstrom it’ll be because we are in the PL.

I think people Getting too hung on the fees. Even a 600k base fee is most likely split over two seasons.

We’re desperate though for a creative AM and a good striker and I suspect we need to take a risk on someone from abroad for both. (But that would use our four none permit slots up).

Young players seem to be going for a bizarre premium too. I always felt the prices for young players was meant to be lower because you could develop them into something, but it seems you're paying for potential that mostly will never materialise and passing up on older players who are tried and tested. 

I would honestly run Dej Brown into the ground, play him as often as I possibly could and promote the young, quick striker who is playing every week at Championship level. I genuinely think 6 months in the Championship for a 18 year old striker now, regardless of how many goals he scores, would lead to £10+ million asking price. If he scored some goals then £20m+. 

Professional clubs are treating the game as though it's football manager. 

I suspect when Warne mentioned there would be three in before Blackburn (or anticipated three in before Blackburn) that two would be loans from Premier League clubs and the other, the keeper from Sweden. 

19 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I don't remember Warne ever saying that we would be signing 3 premier league players on loan? Does anyone else?

Of the players linked previous, I am pretty sure I read Hinshelwood went out with Brighton but after checking heir games he did not play a single minute.

Not sure who else is on tour..