Transfer rumours

14 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

We need quicker defensive options in the middle of defence for certain games, a left back with some pace and probably a taller and quicker option up top.  We need a goalie and more goals from midfield.  If Adams comes in,  we still need 5 or 6 players of a good standard to be looking at mid table region without relegation panic.  I can see Fornah, Bradley and Forsyth leaving. Rooney and Blackett-Taylor possibly going out on loan with recalls.  Brown on  full loan for the season.  Barkhuizen i'd keep but I don't think he's a Warne favourite, so he could be going I reckon.

See if my Septic Peg thoughts pan out. 

Ah, the annual pre-season prediction that Fozzy is finished and on his way out. The only thing more predictable is the ensuing season where he is a key player, one of our most reliable defenders and scores a couple of decent goals in important games too.

It’s a tradition that I have sworn to myself I won’t get involved in until 2044 at the earliest.

Just now, Ramslad1992 said:

I know he still lives in Lincoln so wouldn’t surprise me that one.

Orrrr.. that's the link that gives birth to the tenuous story.

Such is the murky waters ITK'ers swim in.

10 minutes ago, rams_1233 said:

Anything on incomings @Big Trav

Personally not heard anything. The Foreign player’s clubs are difficult to negotiate with, Leicester being difficult to work with for Iversen. Clubs now know we have a bit more money so it’s gone a bit slow 

This might be a hot take but I'd actually be pretty happy if we only ended up with 1 new "first team" GK even if Vickers left. Same with keeping D Brown around. If we think these guys are the future, and our first choice players are good enough for roughly a midtable finish, why not utilise those youngsters as part of the rotation?

No use in my mind giving Vickers a cup game against Chesterfield when it could be Thompson. Yates gets injured and we've got a Collins/Brown rotation - oh well, it's not that massive of a drop off. I remember Callum Ball being given meaningful game time - that one didn't work out but that's because of the player not the principle.

If I thought it'd be the difference between play offs or not then maybe I'd have a different perception, but if the choice is between a slightly better backup v the experience we could be giving to our next generation, I'd rather keep the kids around.

10 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Why on earth would we loan out Blackett-Taylor?

He'll be on a good wage and Wilson, Ward, Mendez Laing and even the lesser used Barkhuizen were more effective at providing chances and linking play than him .  We now have Jackson as well.  

10 hours ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

I hope that nothing you've said comes off apart from maybe fornah if we have cover , the rest is just dumb on a whole néw level 

Wow, you should get into a debating society.  A wonderful argument on a whole new level.  

5 hours ago, ivo_knoflicek said:

Ah, the annual pre-season prediction that Fozzy is finished and on his way out. The only thing more predictable is the ensuing season where he is a key player, one of our most reliable defenders and scores a couple of decent goals in important games too.

It’s a tradition that I have sworn to myself I won’t get involved in until 2044 at the earliest.

If you think he'll be a decent performer at this level at his age and after further surgery that's your opinion .  Mine is that without an option we had no choice but to fulfil, he wouldn't be here .  

5 minutes ago, Magicman said:

Because he has done zero where it matters 

Seems harsh.

However, being honest, it's also true.

I'm willing to give him a chance as he didn't have long to settle and he came with high expectations and seemed to promise to be a better player than he showed.

Tbh... quite how badly he played is part of the reason I'm thinking we are patient. He was nothing like it said he was on the tin...there MUST be more to come.

11 minutes ago, Magicman said:

Because he has done zero where it matters 

He struggled with niggly injuries after his arrival so was in and out of the team or getting short burst as a sub so his chance to settle in and get his performance levels right was compromised. I think you will see a different player this year. Loaning him out would be a nonsense decision 

15 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

If you think he'll be a decent performer at this level at his age and after further surgery that's your opinion .  Mine is that without an option we had no choice but to fulfil, he wouldn't be here .  

He can fill in at Centre Back, MOM v Bolton.

3 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Seems harsh.

However, being honest, it's also true.

I'm willing to give him a chance as he didn't have long to settle and he came with high expectations and seemed to promise to be a better player than he showed.

Tbh... quite how badly he played is part of the reason I'm thinking we are patient. He was nothing like it said he was on the tin...there MUST be more to come.

Looked great v Pompey. Let’s see how he does after a full pre season.

48 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

You are absolutely correct.

That IS my opinion.

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Looked great v Pompey. Let’s see how he does after a full pre season.

He looked good at using his pace to run unchallenged  into an empty space on the counter and playing a simple pass to a more composed attacker. To say he looked great is a gross exaggeration IMO, but it happened a lot last season where everything above a 5/10 seemed to be elevated to an 8/10. (same in reverse for some)

I wouldn't rule out his ability to make an impact in the Championship based on pace alone but I've seen nothing to suggest he's actually a good footballer. First touch, awareness, ability to beat a man with skill or strength rather than pure pace, ideas on how to deal with getting doubled up on, consistency in decision making or quality of pass/cross etc.

You accept limitations based on level of course, but there wasn't anything to suggest that mentally he's got more in his locker than being a top League One player. Opinions of Charlton fans (at least the ones I saw) seem to align with this.

He had good numbers at Charlton when tactically pushed as their main/only threat but he's not a starter at Championship level at this stage. He's still plenty young enough to improve with the right coaching, however.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

I don't think CBT will often be in the starting 11 but he will play a role off the bench. His pace and willing to run past people with the ball will be ideal when we either want to play on the counter or with 20 minutes to go to test tired full backs.