UEFA Euro 2024 Thread

Day

7 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I just don’t see how you can play Saka, Foden and Bellingham in the same team. 

It has to be 2 from 3, and then a proper left forward. 

It’s harsh, but I think Saka is a better right winger than Foden, I think Bellingham is a better AM than Foden, and I think Gordon is a better LW than Foden.

So by shoehorning Foden into the side, IMO you are weakening the team.

I thought Guehi was England’s best defender. And we were lucky Trippier wasn’t tested more against a quicker winger. If anything, Serbia got in more times down England’s right.

Yes, Foden thrives in quick ball in advanced situations. His strengths diminish the further back he plays. He’s not going to get enough snappy first time passes in this team to get beyond defenders.

He would be successful if he had Palmer and Bowen with him but that’s not going to happen.

I thought Harry Kane battled manfully but he should have been subbed 15 minutes from the end to allow Watkins or Toney to drag the defenders away with their pace.

No panic though. We will learn from that game.

15 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

No panic though. We will learn from that game.

That's pretty much my take. We won, which is something we don't do at the start of a tournament.

43 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

I know feck-all about football, but even I can see that Trippier wide left is never going to work.

Whoever said square pegs in round holes above got it spot-on.

He stretched the play once, maybe twice when Trent fizzed long passes to him, but other than that every time the ball went out wide to the left to him he either looked to come back inside straight away or pass the ball backwards. The Serbia right back was never really tested.

Overall I thought we looked very good for the first 20 minutes or so but after that our game just devolved to walking pace with little real urgency to get things moving faster. Bowen injected a bit of pace and movement when he came on, setting up the Kane effort, but other than that the second half was incredibly pedestrian. Luckily, Serbia aren't great and they never really managed to create anything that dangerous. It probably says more about them than us that we could play at 50% in the second half without being severely tested. 

It's a winning start, it was a clean sheet, take it and move on. Just hope someone drills it into them before the next match that we can play at something beyond walking pace. 

10 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Just been looking on the other forums:

Germany: "Good win, but Scotland are rubbish and are the sort of team we should be thrashing if we want to win the Euros"

Spain: "Yes we took our goals well, but we conceeded so many chances to a poor and old Croatia side. Mbappe or Kane would have 3 tonight."

Italy: "Awful start conceeding to a minnow like Albania. Hung on a bit at the end, fearful for when we play a good team."

There’s other forums 🙂

2 hours ago, Grumpy Git said:

I know feck-all about football, but even I can see that Trippier wide left is never going to work.

Whoever said square pegs in round holes above got it spot-on.

The problem is, we didn't really have another option in that position. Luke Shaw is injured and he's being carried in the hope he can manage a semblance of fitness and play a part at a later stage.

I guess you could argue Tyrick Mitchell would've been an option had he been called up - but I had no issues with Trippier starting there because we just don't have the options. 

12 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

The problem is, we didn't really have another option in that position. Luke Shaw is injured and he's being carried in the hope he can manage a semblance of fitness and play a part at a later stage.

I guess you could argue Tyrick Mitchell would've been an option had he been called up - but I had no issues with Trippier starting there because we just don't have the options. 

Think it might help Trippier if it wasn't Foden in front of him too.

I've seen some right old nonsense spouted this morning in response to last night's game. In the Guardian, of course.

Someone seriously claimed that England should be as good as Real Madrid or Man City.... I just wonder why some England fans have such high expectations.

We have two world-class players in Kane & St Jude Bellingham, then some very good ones in Foden, Saka, Palmer, Rice, and Alexander-Arnold. But the defense is not top-drawer. Pickford is good but wouldn't get into any top team. Stones is a very good CB but has been injured or on the bench a lot this season, Maguire is out but isn't even wanted at Man Utd. We have an out-of-form RB playing LB. I love Walker but he's 34, and it says a lot that no-one has pushed him out.

Maybe I have low expectations but I have so many memories of England being sh*te! Especially that 2008-2016 period. The 2010 & 2014 World Cups were absolutely awful.

Southgate is certainly a flawed, rigid manager, but his defensive pragmatism has broadly got a tune out of the team. Now England have 3 points and should finish top of the group.

I'm absolutely fuming, This isn't right, German citizens can leave their bomb shelters, Why...why am I so upset, Then I'll tell ya, After all the hullabaloo about Serbia and England fans causing WW3 in Gelsenkirchen all there was reported was a glass table top smashed a few bottles thrown and a chair turned upside down, One England fan discharged himself from hospital after being hit on the head with a bottle as he didn't want to miss the game...one tough soldier, And to the one England fan that got arrested...shame on you, He got caught trying to buy some ale with German Marks...yes a Birmingham City fan, There was a group of Derby fans near by...they did have a party 😁

Well done to the German Police 👍  

1 hour ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

It does annoy me that Tomori doesn't get a look-in. 100+ Serie A games. Get on a plane, Gareth.

He’s been miles off it this season apparently, and he’s rarely looked good against the English teams in Europe. 

And of all the things to complain about last night, Stones and Guehi aren’t one of them.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

3 hours ago, Ambitious said:

For me, that's one of the main criticisms I'd level at Southgate - his ONLY job in the previous couple of years is to ensure we have the best squad of English-qualified players selected and available to play at the start of the tournament. That doesn't mean having all of the 'best' players in the squad, but selecting a squad where the players are all fit and available to play in their natural positions and where there is quality cover if a player picks up a knock. Instead, we go into the first game with a couple of centre-halves who've played 3 games together (one of who is a novice at international level and the other who's hardly played the previous season and when he has played it's not always been at centre-half), an experimental midfield two (with a right-back playing out of position) and a out of position right-footed left-back...it shows a shocking lack of preparation from the coach. And it's not as if the injuries have come as a shock and forced his hand with the selections - Shaw and Maguire have hardly played this season - he should have been picking players to replace those two and making sure that the experiments were restricted to the numerous friendlies, not cobbling together a team for the first game and hoping the players could make it work......

I understand peoples frustrations  over last night’s performance but overall I thought England just about deserved it, it’s Gareth’s call but I would just tweak it a little for the Denmark match, Gallagher and Palmer to start for TAA and Foden , it’s early days in the tournament and I think most teams will have a below par performance    
     Over to Gareth to work on the team and a plan to bring down the Danish and let us fans sit back and marvel at the World Class talent that is Jude Bellingham, come on England we can do this