UEFA Euro 2024 Thread

Day

2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Hard to deny Spain were worthy winners. Not only beat all the best teams, but did so in superior fashion.

2-1 flattered England.

But you can’t blame Southgate too much for this game. I get we were defensive, but our midfield were never going to control this game.

Mainoo, Bellingham and Foden are all runners. Athletic. Rice is more hybrid.

But Spain’s trio of Rodri, Fabian and Olmo are all technical players on the ball. They were always going to pass, move, recycle, control. After Pedri and Gavi, Spain’s next best Zubimendi is also more technical than our lot.

The gaps just got too big second half. 

Our midfield was overrun tonight. Rice has had a poor tournament and the game was too big for Mainoo. Bellingham had moments and the wide men were ineffectual until the subs.

Spain had too much quality and depth in midfield and until we get that, we’ll be nearly men. 

We have impact players but we need to be able to keep the ball under pressure.

No criticism of Southgate. I know everyone wants about seven attacking players on the pitch at the same time but international football isn’t like that.

Just now, ariotofmyown said:

That was just before he went off. It was proper dire.

Yeah, they say he's a striker that likes to catch up on play and poach. Yet even when we did that he was ambling around at his top speed of 2mph. 

There was just no hunger from him to gamble on anything. Was he tired coming into the tournament or something?

Just now, Anon said:

Well done Spain. Much the better team unfortunately. What great play from Cucarella for the assist. A fullback sprinting down the wing on 86 minutes is exactly the sort of positive play I'd love to see from England and the cross was slide rule perfect.

England's goal was great. We really needed to continue to apply the pressure afterwards, but we reverted right back to defensive football. It feels like we were playing for penalties at times in this tournament. I wouldn't mind if Spain had markedly better individuals, but they don't.

Overall Southgate's reign has been massively positive. It's the only period during my lifetime that England have had a genuine chance of winning anything. Yes, he probably should've got one of these tournaments over the line,but I don't really want to twist the knife right now.

I wondered if we needed to re-enforce the midefield again after the equaliser? We went for it, got the goal, then were perhaps overrun after that. Maybe Foden should have come of earlier for TAA or Gallacher?

Spain were in a different league, miles better than anyone else in the tournament and deserved to win tonight.

I can't blame Southgate too much tonight. Yes, we played far too deep but Kyle Walker needs to have a good look in the mirror. He was absolutely shocking in that 2nd half. Let Williams in unmarked 90 seconds after the restart and nearly let him again 5 minutes later. Horrible defending from him. 

Credit to Gareth for making the team competitive and building those foundations to make us proud of England again, after that horror show from Roy Hodgson, who let Kane take corners. He picks really great squads and gets a nice balance of youth and experience. Unfortunately, his tactical knowledge has really let this squad down again and I don't think he can take it to another level, because he thinks low blocks and sitting deep is the right way when the majority of players do not play that system for their clubs. It's old fashioned and not progressive enough. 

Time for a change.

4 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I wondered if we needed to re-enforce the midefield again after the equaliser? We went for it, got the goal, then were perhaps overrun after that. Maybe Foden should have come of earlier for TAA or Gallacher?

Perhaps I'm not giving Spain enough credit. I didn't think it was the formation or the players though. I felt we sat back and allowed Spain to compose themselves and start to overrun us.

15 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

So angry. Gareth Southgate has ruined the bets generation of footballers England have ever had with his negative tactics. f****** furious.

Only one team came to win this game. And it wasn’t us.

Who would you have?

You 've just lost to the best team on the night, and the tournament by a very long way.  Safegate could be a bit more adventurous I ll give you that, but he 's taken you to 2 finals in 3 years, not that bad.

Anyone remember Euro 96? 30 years of hurt.

World Cup 26 that will now be 60 years of hurt.

Bugger, I feel old now.

I wonder whether I'll see Derby (other than promotion) or England win anything in my lifetime?

8 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

So angry. Gareth Southgate has ruined the bets generation of footballers England have ever had with his negative tactics. f****** furious.

Only one team came to win this game. And it wasn’t us.

I think we'll have an even better squad in 2 years time. There are a lot of young players in this squad, and those who didn't even make it this time, who will improve in that time.

Rice, Mainoo, Bellingham, Foden, Saka, Wharton, Palmer, Gallagher, and Gordon all 25 or younger. Harvey Elliott, Madueke, and Gibbs-White will all be hoping to break into the England squad too. In defence, there's youngsters like Branthwaite, Quansah, Colwill

The main issue we'll have is at CF - with Kane, Watkins and Toney all in their 30s next tournament. Kane's goals in particular will be very hard to replace. We're probably reliant on Solanke stepping up, or Cameron Archer maturing quickly.

The only other players in their 30s are Walker, Tripper, Stones and Pickford. Whilst we have plenty of RBs to replace the former two, the latter two will have at least another tournament left in them.

Just now, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Who would you have?

You 've just lost to the best team on the night, and the tournament by a very long way.  Safegate could be a bit more adventurous I ll give you that, but he 's taken you to 2 finals in 3 years, not that bad.

God knows, but it’s time for someone else. I’m confident that with a more attacking manager, this team wins at least one of the last 3 trophies. Still our second greatest ever manager I’ll give him that… but he was too safe to become our greatest.

Ultimately, I look at the squad Southgate has and we were less than the sum of our parts in this tournament.

Tactically basic regardless of the standard of opposition and a system that was ironically so risk averse that it became a huge risk.

I just do t think Southgate has the right tactical philosophy for the squad he has got and that won't change in the next few tournaments.

7 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Anyone remember Euro 96? 30 years of hurt.

World Cup 26 that will now be 60 years of hurt.

Bugger, I feel old now.

I wonder whether I'll see Derby (other than promotion) or England win anything in my lifetime?

No we won’t. Be thankful that you don’t watch Derbyshire play cricket as well.