UEFA Euro 2024 Thread

Day

1 minute ago, Comrade 86 said:

Horrific seems harsh! I

As for Foden, I really like the lad, but he just doesn't impose himself on games for England just yet, as he seems to live on his nerves a bit. He doesn't seem to have Bellingham's innate self-belioef just yet, but he has all the talent in the world and he'll settle down for England at some point, just the way he did at City. Maybe this tournament will be the making of him.

But at City everyone's bombing on in front of him and there's always someone there to pick a pass to. Same can't be said with this England side, if he was in the middle and had an Eze or Gordon as mentioned by other posters out wide you'd see a different Foden.

Serbia battled really well and made life difficult. It wasn't easy for England tonight, but it was pretty much what I anticipated. A little disjointed, injuries have disrupted a settled system. The lack of a left-side really did impact us - Foden, nor Trippier aren't natural left sided players. I think that was evident, also as talented as Trent is that position is still new to him. How many games have Stones and Guehi played together? It can't be many. Trent and Rice is a pretty recent combination too. 

The pace was slower than we would like, but that's going to be largely down to players learning how to play each other. I don't pay it too much mind. How quick Shaw can come back, assuming he's in good shape when he does, will address some familiarity issues, then we can look at how best to get good players in the best positions to impact games. 

Take the win - they're not a given in tournaments. 

Just been looking on the other forums:

Germany: "Good win, but Scotland are rubbish and are the sort of team we should be thrashing if we want to win the Euros"

Spain: "Yes we took our goals well, but we conceeded so many chances to a poor and old Croatia side. Mbappe or Kane would have 3 tonight."

Italy: "Awful start conceeding to a minnow like Albania. Hung on a bit at the end, fearful for when we play a good team."

37 minutes ago, YouRams said:

Come on now, he has the best attacking players we've had in years and the first move he's got them all making is backwards, which most of them look lost doing because their club managers can actually manage a football team.

You need the players to feed them…

Thought that was a solid win. Back line and Pickford must take a huge amount of credit absolutely dealt with Mitrovic, Vlahovic, Tadic and Jovic to a tee. Guehi was so so composed reminded me of Rio/Sol Campbell with his body positioning when dealing with his marking battles. Kane had to sacrifice himself with drawing 2/3 of their back line at every occasion. I suspect it might be the same in a way in the next match as Denmark play a similar system of 3-5-2. 

I did think Cesc Fibreglass said it best after the game we should be expecting Foden to exude arrogance and confidence in the same way Jude does. It's international football where pretty much most teams try to shoehorn their best players as much as they can and tonight just felt he was on another planet at times. Maybe Southgate needs to give him more stick than carrot management that Pep seems to give him at city.

Edited by eddielewis

I just don’t see how you can play Saka, Foden and Bellingham in the same team. 

It has to be 2 from 3, and then a proper left forward. 

It’s harsh, but I think Saka is a better right winger than Foden, I think Bellingham is a better AM than Foden, and I think Gordon is a better LW than Foden.

So by shoehorning Foden into the side, IMO you are weakening the team.

I thought Guehi was England’s best defender. And we were lucky Trippier wasn’t tested more against a quicker winger. If anything, Serbia got in more times down England’s right.

5 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I just don’t see how you can play Saka, Foden and Bellingham in the same team. 

It has to be 2 from 3, and then a proper left forward. 

It’s harsh, but I think Saka is a better right winger than Foden, I think Bellingham is a better AM than Foden, and I think Gordon is a better LW than Foden.

So by shoehorning Foden into the side, IMO you are weakening the team.

I thought Guehi was England’s best defender. And we were lucky Trippier wasn’t tested more against a quicker winger. If anything, Serbia got in more times down England’s right.

It is a clear problem that all our attacking players like to come to the ball, including Kane.

For all Rashford and Sterling’s criticism in years gone by, there was a reason they were selected. They stretched it and were an in-behind threat with pace. 

4 minutes ago, Srg said:

It is a clear problem that all our attacking players like to come to the ball, including Kane.

For all Rashford and Sterling’s criticism in years gone by, there was a reason they were selected. They stretched it and were an in-behind threat with pace. 

It's easier to coach a Rashford, Sterling into a system than it is a Foden who plays the role very differently. For an international manager, who gets 4-5 weeks a year with the team, it's difficult to implement - especially given the injuries and instability in the side this season. 

Southgate almost has to let it play out and hope they figure it out. I think with Foden wanting to drift inside and Trippier unable to really go outside without cutting on to his right foot that it makes us predictable. 

5 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

It's easier to coach a Rashford, Sterling into a system than it is a Foden who plays the role very differently. For an international manager, who gets 4-5 weeks a year with the team, it's difficult to implement - especially given the injuries and instability in the side this season. 

Southgate almost has to let it play out and hope they figure it out. I think with Foden wanting to drift inside and Trippier unable to really go outside without cutting on to his right foot that it makes us predictable. 

But selecting a player knowing that isn’t their game or that they even possess the attributes to do it isn’t ideal. As fantastic as they are, just picking great players is easy, understanding you’re going to condense the pitch with 4 attackers who want to come and get it to feet and having a plan what to do about that isn’t  

The only way it can work is if we have a high line and play fast. As soon as we drop deeper and play slowly, that second half happens.

1 minute ago, Srg said:

But selecting a player knowing that isn’t their game or that they even possess the attributes to do it isn’t ideal. As fantastic as they are, just picking great players is easy, understanding you’re going to condense the pitch with 4 attackers who want to come and get it to feet and having a plan what to do about that isn’t  

The only way it can work is if we have a high line and play fast. As soon as we drop deeper and play slowly, that second half happens.

Maybe, but I also understand the optics if Foden is on the bench for Gordon and it doesn't go well. Same with Trent in midfield. 

Damned if does, but arguably more damned if he doesn't. I think we've seen Southgate make decisions before that have suited him more than the general public, but he's flipped on that going into this tournament. 

1 hour ago, eddielewis said:

Thought that was a solid win. Back line and Pickford must take a huge amount of credit absolutely dealt with Mitrovic, Vlahovic, Tadic and Jovic to a tee. Guehi was so so composed reminded me of Rio/Sol Campbell with his body positioning when dealing with his marking battles. Kane had to sacrifice himself with drawing 2/3 of their back line at every occasion. I suspect it might be the same in a way in the next match as Denmark play a similar system of 3-5-2. 

I did think Cesc Fibreglass said it best after the game we should be expecting Foden to exude arrogance and confidence in the same way Jude does. It's international football where pretty much most teams try to shoehorn their best players as much as they can and tonight just felt he was on another planet at times. Maybe Southgate needs to give him more stick than carrot management that Pep seems to give him at city.

Yes, Guehi gave a very encouraging performance.

1 hour ago, Srg said:

This.

Sterling’s sole job in 2018 was pretty much to stretch the play.

I think I’d still have him starting left-wing.

3 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Bellingham is so good. Incredibly strong as well as talented.

Almost as good as Sibley.

Didn’t realise Lee Camp is going to be the reason we win the euros

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2024/06/16/jude-bellingham-birmingham-dortmund-madrid-england-talent/

IMG_9420.thumb.jpeg.066e810eede2d30f07d05aae5bf1f585.jpeg

That article is really worth a read 

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7