UEFA Euro 2024 Thread

Day

3 hours ago, Kernow said:

Is that a typo and you put Kane by accident and really meant someone else?

Kane is arguably the best, most complete CF in the world right now, if he’s not getting the ball he drops into midfield and dictates play himself. Just spend 5 minutes watching him.

I'm with you. Kane is arguably the best centre forward in the world in terms of his contribution to the team play.

Ask Son at spurs how much he does off the ball if anybody is in any doubt.

4 hours ago, Kernow said:

Is that a typo and you put Kane by accident and really meant someone else?

Kane is arguably the best, most complete CF in the world right now, if he’s not getting the ball he drops into midfield and dictates play himself. Just spend 5 minutes watching him.

Without doubt, a capable playmaker as well as an excellent finisher.  A great all round CF, the only thing you could say he lacks is pace.. 

We have a few good players but don't have technical comfortable in possession players throughout the team.

If we come up against a possession based side we will struggle. Our version of retaining possession is Maguire and co lumbering slowly around at the back rolling the ball slowly square.

Quarter or semi finals for me, don't think we're still improving atm

I don't think he'll take tomori or Ben white, and will find space for trippier. Don't rule out a return for dier, but stones and Maguire likely starters.

Expect to see rashford somewhere in the squad and maybe even Sterling.

Don't think either Hughes or Gordon will be there. Half expecting some miraculous return for Henderson as cover for his "experience".

It’s not that Southgate wouldn’t take Ben White, he would refuse the call up. He has no interest in playing for England. One day I’m sure we’ll hear why and what happened, but unfortunately he’s one we have to look at as retired from international football.

Adam Wharton should be in the squad. He’s had a massive impact at Palace, and when Southgate loves players like Henderson and Phillips for balance, I think Wharton would be a good stand-in for the role Rice will play.

3 hours ago, Day said:

It’s not that Southgate wouldn’t take Ben White, he would refuse the call up. He has no interest in playing for England. One day I’m sure we’ll hear why and what happened, but unfortunately he’s one we have to look at as retired from international football.

Issue with Steve Holland apparently. 

28 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Adam Wharton should be in the squad. He’s had a massive impact at Palace, and when Southgate loves players like Henderson and Phillips for balance, I think Wharton would be a good stand-in for the role Rice will play.

Sounds like Henderson has been left out in breaking news reports. 

3 minutes ago, Srg said:

Wasn't it an argument with Holland for his passion for football in general in Qatar. 

Curtis Jones is in the 30 as well which is bit of a suprise. Would have tried to have given him minutes for England in the past year or so instead of bringing him in now.

43 minutes ago, Srg said:

I think it’ll be Southgate’s last tournament whether we go out in the groups or win the whole thing.

I do wonder if he’s more likely to “go for it” as a final shot of winning something. We could’ve won one of the last 3 tournaments if we weren’t quite so conservative.

7 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I think it’ll be Southgate’s last tournament whether we go out in the groups or win the whole thing.

I do wonder if he’s more likely to “go for it” as a final shot of winning something. We could’ve won one of the last 3 tournaments if we weren’t quite so conservative.

I dunno, sounds like Quansah is also in there so he might just be playing bingo. 

Posted (edited)

PICKFORD

WALKER STONES B’WAITE SHAW

RICE

BELLINGHAM FODEN

SAKA                                      EZE

KANE

or 

MAINOO RICE

SAKA      BELLINGHAM    FODEN

KANE

Edited by McMuffin

A lot will made of the announcement today I’m sure, but the big thing Southgate has now over previous tournaments is a real star player. If Southgate puts a team together that is going to get the best out of Bellingham then we’ll be ok because his performances will raise those around him. We’ve had very good squads in recent years but without a real ‘best in the world’ type player, we have one now and I think having that player is the real key to winning these tournaments. Can only think of Italy in recent seasons who maybe didn’t, but depends how much weight you put behind how good Chiesa was at Euro 2021?

We aren’t as good as people think we are.

Left-back and that third centre-mid are a massive problem with no obvious solution. 

The ‘keeper and centre-halves are good, not great.