Match Thread: Wycombe (a)

1 minute ago, Jayram said:

I was there last night and my god it was a hard watch. The constant Wildsmith to Nelson, Nelson to Wilson followed by the ball being lumped up the line invariably to a Wycombe player made my eyes bleed. A lot of people on here blaming CBT for the early miss but Washington was clean through and should have buried that himself. On the extremely rare occasions where we kept the ball on the deck we cut through them but of course that’s not the Warne way so it was back to lumping it. Not one player looked on it last night just like at Northampton. 
It is just so dispiriting to see us floundering in a match like that at such a crucial stage of the season. 

Joe Ward has added significantly to the fluidity we have had recently and he makes Wilson play better. We missed him 

3 minutes ago, Jayram said:

I was there last night and my god it was a hard watch. The constant Wildsmith to Nelson, Nelson to Wilson followed by the ball being lumped up the line invariably to a Wycombe player made my eyes bleed. A lot of people on here blaming CBT for the early miss but Washington was clean through and should have buried that himself. On the extremely rare occasions where we kept the ball on the deck we cut through them but of course that’s not the Warne way so it was back to lumping it. Not one player looked on it last night just like at Northampton. 
It is just so dispiriting to see us floundering in a match like that at such a crucial stage of the season. 

Washington had the goalkeeper infront of him, CBT just an empty net. The pass from Washington wasn't the best but the miss was horrendous.

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

Washington had the goalkeeper infront of him, CBT just an empty net. The pass from Washington wasn't the best but the miss was horrendous.

He should have stroked it across the box, not fizzed it at 90mph. Washington bottled it, like he did the chance he had against Blackpool the other week. 

10 hours ago, Andicis said:

NML was like this last season too, he seems to run out of steam by the end of the season and become a passenger. Bad timing. Not sure what's going on with CBT, he looked shocking tonight. 

NML hasn't scored since Exeter away, 12 games, or assisted since Bristol Rovers away, 6 games.

Looks like he's ran out of steam, the same as last season, but with CBT not getting going there's little alternative tbh. Clearly CBT is a confidence player, and following that miss he was a waste of a shirt, along with Washington and Collins, which surprised me re Collins, very quiet, but have no time for Washington,  he's been poor all season.

1 minute ago, Jayram said:

He should have stroked it across the box, not fizzed it at 90mph. Washington bottled it, like he did the chance he had against Blackpool the other week. 

Yes I think he should have passed earlier, he let the defender get back and then had to put a bit more on the ball.

Doesn't excuse the fact that CBT could have done pretty much anything, other than what he did, and the ball would have ended up in the net.

Washington didn't do much wrong with his chance against Blackpool, having watched it back it was nowhere as easy as it looked in real time, he was actually quite wide out.

8 hours ago, Sean said:

That game turned out exactly how I thought it would and yet everyone on here is stunned. Wycombe are horrible to play against. CBT should have scored but I still think we can do enough in the last three games.

I don’t think many of us were “stunned” especially with the result. I reckon most people thought it would be an ugly (actually Wycombe played better football than I expected) and difficult game that we’d probably have enough to win but the result wasn’t a shock. We’re (well me anyway) not stunned, just bitterly disappointed at such an inept and disjointed performance. Yes we had some great chances early on but these were largely down to breakaways aided by some poor defending. Once those opportunities had gone I don’t recall many occasions when we really looked liked scoring or putting together any sort of prolonged passage of play. It was all too frantic which I put down to tactics, formation and players individual performances.

I don’t think either Bolton or Posh will win all of their remaining games but the question is, can we? I see Orient being a difficult game that’ll well probably just scrape over the line in. No game is easy but we probably couldn’t have asked for a much easier final game. Based on our performances against Wycombe and Northampton, the Cambridge game worries me a lot. 

I was one of many who advocated bringing Hourihane on if we were drawing after 70 mins. But a cursory glance at Wycombe’s chances late on shows that his head is now in the departure lounge: he was almost single-handedly responsible for a Wycombe goal on more than one occasion, dawdling around defensively like Tom Lawrence in one of his sulks.

Sorry to say the safest place for him now is Villa Park. Otherwise he might enter the annals of our club’s history of end-of-season near misses 

Completely exposed our one dimensional way of playing, if getting it wide and chucking it in the box doesn't work we really have no clue.

NML, CBT, Collins were all poor, Washington looks like he won a competition to be a footballer.

Smith had a good game, as did Sibley and Wildsmith.

Warnes in game management poor as well, too slow to make changes in the second half and even when they did come he didnt do enough. Looked too scared to lose the point to actually go for it.

Its another game in this season thats a missed opportunity, and another game they bored me to tears.

4 minutes ago, Shuff264 said:

Completely exposed our one dimensional way of playing, if getting it wide and chucking it in the box doesn't work we really have no clue.

NML, CBT, Collins were all poor, Washington looks like he won a competition to be a footballer.

Smith had a good game, as did Sibley and Wildsmith.

Warnes in game management poor as well, too slow to make changes in the second half and even when they did come he didnt do enough. Looked too scared to lose the point to actually go for it.

Its another game in this season thats a missed opportunity, and another game they bored me to tears.

Interested to know what changes you think he should have made?

18 minutes ago, Jayram said:

Is “bottled it” the phrase of the moment now we’re nearing the end of the season? He neither bottled it nor fizzed it at 90mph. His final touch before he crossed it was poor which meant it got stuck under his feet a little and his cross therefore wasn’t as clean as it could have been.

9 hours ago, Jourdan said:

CBT is the worry for me.

He looked very bright v Blackpool and then played his best game so far for us v Portsmouth. Then tonight he regressed.

I really thought tonight would be the night he came to the party. He won’t get a better chance.

He is clearly a confidence player and he is clearly playing within himself much of the time since joining us. Perhaps he is overwhelmed by the pressure to impress. There is certainly a feeling of that.

I am not often critical of Warne and the coaches, but perhaps they could be managing him better, because something is not right.

Watched the highlights, Wow what a miss from CBT 😮 I usually look for an excuse for a player to miss an open goal...yes an open goal, The pitch looked great, The ball arrived at his feet with pace, Body looked perfect yet he contrived to put it wide 🙄

CBT mentioned in his post match presser that training was a little different but PW lets him play his own game 🤷‍♂️or summat to that effect, He said all was good in the changing room, He knew a lot of the players, All welcomed him and he's not left out in the banter stakes...so what's the issue, If I knew that I'd be a phycologist.

His strength is his strength and pace that's what defenders hate, He drove at Portsmouth's players for our 1st goal at Pompey, Last night he shifted into the area like the wind...but 👎

You could be right Jourdan...confidence 👌 

26 minutes ago, Rich84 said:

Still had time ro take a touch and then sidefoot it in, no excuses, shocking miss that set the tone for the evening 

Just watched the incident again. He should have done better but there is no way that he had time to take a touch and then side foot it in. 

3 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Is “bottled it” the phrase of the moment now we’re nearing the end of the season? He neither bottled it nor fizzed it at 90mph. His final touch before he crossed it was poor which meant it got stuck under his feet a little and his cross therefore wasn’t as clean as it could have been.

Agree with this that it was the touch before the cross that was poor.

1 minute ago, Tamworthram said:

Just watched the incident again. He should have done better but there is no way that he had time to take a touch and then side foot it in. 

Don't agree with this, he had all the time in the world. Just a complete lack of concentration.