Stefano Eranio future coach?

Great to see the Stefano interview on the club website…. he clearly still has a love for the club.  Commented how he has a hope that he can play a part at the club in the future as a coach or even manager.  He’s been a part of Milan’s Academy coaching set up since 2005 so no real senior coaching experience but his knowledge and approach to the game would be intriguing to see.

1 hour ago, Srg said:

Unlikely. The backlash over his racism would be too much. 

Unfortunate comments, yes. But he’s not a racist. I don’t think there would be a backlash at all. He’s an ex Derby great. It won’t happen though. Not for the reasons stated though. 

I don't know what alleged racist comments he may have made, but my concern is that - from listening to him on Saturday - his level of English is not overly strong (no, before anyone says, nor is my Italian).  It may be worth paying interpreters for a head coach, but he would only ever be in a lesser role and not sure it would be worth the cost.

Our team is practically all British (albeit some play for exotic countries to be an international).  Not sure we have the set up that more international teams have that could accommodate; but if we go up who knows. 

1 hour ago, CBX1985 said:

I don't know what alleged racist comments he may have made, but my concern is that - from listening to him on Saturday - his level of English is not overly strong

I remember in his early playing days with the Rams, I was in the Baltimore Diner with some mates, and a bloke came over to us and asked if we were Derby fans.

We said yes, and he said "thank god - come and say hello to Stefano Eranio. I've told my wife that I'd take him out on the town, because he lives next door, and he's not really settling in - but he can't speak English and it's excruciating. I don't know what else to do with him!"  😂

Cue 5 minutes of us shaking his hand and saying stuff  to him - him nodding blankly and shaking his head. Then we left the poor fellas to it!

3 hours ago, Srg said:

Nah, it was approx 10yrs ago now, surely its time to forgive and forget!?

Anyway, I doubt DC would go down the 'celebrity' manager route unlike his predecessor and as has been highlighted, his lack of English would present a huge problem.

Regardless, I recall this from a few years ago.  Sod manager, sign him up as a player 😛

13 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Nah, it was approx 10yrs ago now, surely its time to forgive and forget!?

Anyway, I doubt DC would go down the 'celebrity' manager route unlike his predecessor and as has been highlighted, his lack of English would present a huge problem.

Regardless, I recall this from a few years ago.  Sod manager, sign him up as a player 😛

My favourite player when he was with us

9 hours ago, CBX1985 said:

I don't know what alleged racist comments he may have made, but my concern is that - from listening to him on Saturday - his level of English is not overly strong (no, before anyone says, nor is my Italian).  It may be worth paying interpreters for a head coach, but he would only ever be in a lesser role and not sure it would be worth the cost.

Our team is practically all British (albeit some play for exotic countries to be an international).  Not sure we have the set up that more international teams have that could accommodate; but if we go up who knows. 

Thats bull sh*t i meet him when he was at derby he speaks really good english! Hes a lovely bloke as well

11 hours ago, CBX1985 said:

The comments were made whilst working for a Swiss TV company commenting on a game between a German team and an Italian team. I don’t know but I suspect there is a reasonable chance he wasn’t speaking English.

It’s a fine line between stereotyping and racism. Reading what he said, and checking the definition of racism, I’d say they were clumsy stereotypical. 

In any event, I am always wary of bringing back ex players into a coaching/management role simply because they were “legends”.

13 hours ago, Srg said:

Although I find the idea laughable, you couldn't rule it out. It would be the usual scenario where 99% of people don't care, but a few terminally online sad acts endeavour to have him cancelled.

I have to admit it is something I'd seek clarification on in the interview. I wouldn't want to miss out on the next Virgil Van Dyke because my manager thinks black lads can't defend. I also wouldn't want to miss out on decades of experience at the highest level and a potentially great manager because of a single stupid comment made years ago.

9 minutes ago, Anon said:

Although I find the idea laughable, you couldn't rule it out. It would be the usual scenario where 99% of people don't care, but a few terminally online sad acts endeavour to have him cancelled.

I have to admit it is something I'd seek clarification on in the interview. I wouldn't want to miss out on the next Virgil Van Dyke because my manager thinks black lads can't defend. I also wouldn't want to miss out on decades of experience at the highest level and a potentially great manager because of a single stupid comment made years ago.

It was a bit of a "yikes" comment to make. Deservedly lost his media job over it. It's all moot as it's never realistically going to happen, but it may not be publicised as much because it was in Italy. Ironically though, he said it about Rudiger who was good for Chelsea and now plays for Real Madrid... so maybe he's just not a great judge of talent anyway.

“Black players in the defensive line often make these mistakes because they’re not concentrated,” said Eranio. “They are powerful physically, but when it is time to think … they often make this type of error.”

Wow. Textbook crazy racist stereotyping. From a guy who played with Marcel Desailly.

Derby legend, but seeing as he's been a coach at Milan for 20 years and he's currently 57, it would be an odd one for him to suddenly move back to England to become a manager.

Edited by Gabby'sThighs

On 06/03/2024 at 08:11, CrapSince99 said:

We were so privileged to have had him at our club. Look at the company Stef was keeping prior to coming to us. 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3TnVwjvZFX/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Halcyon days indeed. Unlikely to be experienced again, barring some miraculous occurrence. Nevertheless, they can't take great memories away from you....