Paul Warne

Day

6 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I think there's a way of drawing fouls and making sure the referee sees them, without all that rolling around on the floor, trying to get an opponent sent off. Chris Martin, David Nugent and Jason Knight were very good at doing that. As far as I can recall, they didn't do the latter. There's no point trying to stay on your feet when you've been fouled, because referees ignore the fact you've been fouled. Rolling around in those circumstances often gets you booked anyway. 

Dark Arts doesn't have to mean play-acting, which is all too common.

I'm going off tangent here so apologies to all

I watch the Red Roses(WRU)they played against the USA on Sunday night, Ellie Kildunne who was trying to tackle what would be best described as a bloody juganaught of a USA player running straight at her, Put her right on her behind, Similar to Jonah Lomu who flattened one of ours at Twickenham all those years ago, She was up straight away and carried on 👍

Women we're told are the "fairer sex", I'm telling you, I'd have these females standing along side me in a fight that most of todays pro footballers...who complain, Moan, Whinge and cry if they don't get their way.

And finally...how the hell do they keep their good looks ☺️

1 minute ago, Tamworthram said:

Again I largely agree. But I'm sure there are several posters that think we should sink to the level of trying to get opposing players booked or sent off.

The one that does really annoy me (and we can be just as guilty) is going down (not necessarily rolling around though) when there is only the slightest of contact. Players do it all the time especially when they're cornered in a dangerous position. Technically, I guess they are fouls but sometimes I wish the ref could just say "stop being such a wuss and get up".

I agree, but I see why they chance it. Jackson got a proper barge in the back on Saturday, but because he was inside the area, the ref waved it away. On the Sky highlights, even the co-commentator said there wasn't enough contact, which was ludicrous, because Jackson isn't built like Mendez-Laing or Cashin.

2 hours ago, Crewton said:

I agree. Reporters must love interviewing Warne compared to many, many other managers. Good humoured, no BS, addresses the question, full of appreciation for his players - none of the bad-tempered, obtuse, downright rudeness of the average PL manager.

I think it's more the case that, broadly speaking, things are going well for us/him - I would expect most managers to have a similar demeanor when they've just got a team promoted and are holding their own in the new league.

He's not managing under any real pressure except that which he places on himself, expectations from above and from the majority watching are just that we give it a go to the best of our abilities. The level of scrutiny coming from journalists at PL level is also very different.

A few losses and poor decisions here and there aren't going to cause much ire in that position, but its not like we've never seen Warne's prickly side when things are mounting up against him - see his interview with Dom Dietrich after Scunthorpe which could very easily be considered 'bad-tempered, obtuse, downright rude'. He's got it in him, but hopefully he continues to succeed and there continues to be no reason for him to bring it out.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

2 hours ago, Ram-Alf said:

They don't want to admit that their officials are sh*t, They know they are sh*t but the next generation are worse than sh*t.

Take a look at the the Bruno Fernandes sending off on Sunday, Maddison is away Fernandes is about to tackle him...but slips just as he was to close him down, Now with him slipping...imo...he raises his leg in an attempt to make some sort of challenge, With doing this he catches Maddison around the shin area the ref is right in line...and pulls out the red card, He saw the tackle...but not the slip.

This is the EPLs response

It said: 'The referee issued a red card to Fernandes for a challenge on Maddison. The VAR checked and confirmed the referee's call of serious foul play

All in the studio said "yellow card at most" at a push I'd agree...at most...a red never...imo

With the EPLs response shows how protective they are concerning the Ref and VAR, They do this so the refs wont feel excluded...laughable 

Unfortunately the studio pundits all to often will justify “professional” actions, ie the right to go down for a penalty if you feel the slightest of touches. Besides Bruno Fernandes is a media darling. So the fact that he lunged out to make contact is not seen as foul play. Bruno is undoubtedly talented, but he is also dirty, cynical , cheating and often vindictive. And when he has given a foul away, he will rant at the ref claiming he has done nothing wrong, and will run miles doing so.

Like Mark Hughes from many years ago, how much more influential could he be if he stuck to football instead of the dark arts?

4 hours ago, May Contain Nuts said:

I think it's more the case that, broadly speaking, things are going well for us/him - I would expect most managers to have a similar demeanor when they've just got a team promoted and are holding their own in the new league.

He's not managing under any real pressure except that which he places on himself, expectations from above and from the majority watching are just that we give it a go to the best of our abilities. The level of scrutiny coming from journalists at PL level is also very different.

A few losses and poor decisions here and there aren't going to cause much ire in that position, but its not like we've never seen Warne's prickly side when things are mounting up against him - see his interview with Dom Dietrich after Scunthorpe which could very easily be considered 'bad-tempered, obtuse, downright rude'. He's got it in him, but hopefully he continues to succeed and there continues to be no reason for him to bring it out.

Scunthorpe? Do you mean Stevenage? Or Shrewsbury maybe?

I don't catch many RD post-match interviews, but I do remember posters commenting about his interview after Shrewsbury away being quite tetchy, when I think he'd been getting the dog's abuse from some fans. I guess that might make anyone get a bit snarky, but I don't think that is Warne's general demeanour after losses. We may get to see if we hit a poor run and the fans get more aggy.

I was thinking more though of managers who can be terse and 'difficult' after even a victory if the interviewer asks the wrong question or phrases the question in a way the manager doesn't like.

2 hours ago, Crewton said:

Scunthorpe? Do you mean Stevenage? Or Shrewsbury maybe?

I don't catch many RD post-match interviews, but I do remember posters commenting about his interview after Shrewsbury away being quite tetchy, when I think he'd been getting the dog's abuse from some fans. I guess that might make anyone get a bit snarky, but I don't think that is Warne's general demeanour after losses. We may get to see if we hit a poor run and the fans get more aggy.

I was thinking more though of managers who can be terse and 'difficult' after even a victory if the interviewer asks the wrong question or phrases the question in a way the manager doesn't like.

Pearson N , exhibit 1 for “difficult “

12 hours ago, Ram-Alf said:

I watch the Red Roses(WRU)they played against the USA on Sunday night, Ellie Kildunne who was trying to tackle what would be best described as a bloody juganaught of a USA player running straight at her, Put her right on her behind, Similar to Jonah Lomu who flattened one of ours at Twickenham all those years ago, She was up straight away and carried on 👍

Women we're told are the "fairer sex", I'm telling you, I'd have these females standing along side me in a fight that most of todays pro footballers...who complain, Moan, Whinge and cry if they don't get their way.

Apparently the good looks are all down to having a good facial once a week and using a good moisturiser at nighttime.

As for the women rugby players, haven't got a clue. 

Edited by 1of4

21 hours ago, Ram-Alf said:

If you have a look around Youtube there's 2 different videos of female footballers who go down with a dislocated kneecap. They both use their fist to hammer the thing back into place, get up and carry on. Look at the average male pro too hard and they're wanting an ambulance.

Here's one of them...   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXd9XL-7FuE

3 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Every time we lose a game , we make the excuse that we were playing a top 6 team . What about Burnley , Leeds , Coventry and even Hull ? Teams we haven’t played . How many top 6 teams can there possibly be ? 

More than 6. At this stage of the season where the gap is a lot smaller, clubs can bounce in and out week to week.

Looking at the table this morning, so far, I’d say all of the top 10 have the ability to be top 6.

Norwich in 10th are only 3pts off Leeds in 4th.

8 games played, we’ve played 6 of the current top 10. Fair to say it’s been a difficult start to the season in terms of opposition.

QPR then Millwall next, I would argue this two games are bigger in terms of picking up points against the clubs in and around where we will be at this season. 

2 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

We're doing okay so far this season, but Warne really needs to learn his lesson when randomly deciding it's time to switch to a back three. It seems to typically result in a sharp downturn in performances.

I don't think it was a random decision - more a fait accompli - needing to give Fozzy a rest and not having another fit, natural LB in the squad. 

15 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I don't think it was a random decision - more a fait accompli - needing to give Fozzy a rest and not having another fit, natural LB in the squad. 

It was a justified decision, but I don't think the right one. After a goal and assist vs Norwich, why not start Forsyth (in a back 4), then take him off in the 2nd half (moving to a back 3).

36 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It was a justified decision, but I don't think the right one. After a goal and assist vs Norwich, why not start Forsyth (in a back 4), then take him off in the 2nd half (moving to a back 3).

He may have had a goal (a corner, could've been anyone really) and an assist (barely, CBT did everything) but he didn't play well. Was especially terrible first half in that game. Was all over the place.

35 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I suppose because that might have meant he was playing 65 rather than 30 minutes? And surely you should only change formation in reaction to how the game is going, not as a plan?

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

Every time we lose a game , we make the excuse that we were playing a top 6 team . What about Burnley , Leeds , Coventry and even Hull ? Teams we haven’t played . How many top 6 teams can there possibly be ? 

It is a bit of a red herring, there have been so few games played that by its very nature one good or bad result has a huge effect on the league table.

So we are losing to top 6 teams in part because them winning against us has a huge effect on them being in the top 6. It would be like saying after the first game of the season that we lost to the team top of the league. 

Probably makes more sense to not really get wrapped up in who we have beat and who we have lost to. Hull on the verge of the top 6 about two weeks after being near the bottom 3. Cardiff 2 points off being out the relegation zone after a historically bad start to the season.

2 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

How many top 6 teams can there possibly be ? 

At any given time?  6

However, throughout the season, from a league of 24 teams, there are quite a number of possible top-six combinations.

In fact... erm... hang on...

C(24, 6) = 24! / (6! * (24-6)!) = 134,596.

You sir, are most welcome.  

Oh... and erm... Thanks Google!  👀

I'm much more confident that we will stay up after watching the last three games, than I was after watching the first three.

One of my main worries about Warne is that he can't/couldn't get us playing better football. I was concerned that we would go into this season playing the same way we did last season. I felt this was looking even more likely after the first three games.

But since the Bristol City game I actually think we've been steadily improving game on game. Even last night, I thought we looked as good as them, if not better, for the first 25 minutes.

My only really concerns regarding how we're playing at the moment is around what we do with the ball. Why is the passing so poor? Why do our players thump the ball so hard at each other? I just think we're making it harder for ourselves than it needs to be at times. Perhaps trying to play too quickly because we don't think we've got the quality to keep the ball.

If we can get a bit lucky with injuries and find a way to get the balance right up top, I think we'll stay up.

Credit to Warne for improving the team.

Edited by Nuwtfly