Paul Warne

Day

6 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

I was very happy when Paul Warne came to the club as we immediately saw a change of approach on the field. It was refreshing how we were pressing and how quickly we were getting the ball forwards. Where has this gone?

The plan is largely unchanged. It's just there were big flaws with the plan that didn't get punished in league 1 like they more often do in the championship and our first 11 is quite likely weaker than the one in the clip.

10 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

I was very happy when Paul Warne came to the club as we immediately saw a change of approach on the field. It was refreshing how we were pressing and how quickly we were getting the ball forwards. Where has this gone?

Now there’s a post I can get on board with though I’m willing to give a little time to see where we go,

Hard to say.

The players he's signed we signed for about what they were worth and pretty much all of them have been somewhere between ok and decent. Largely it's been workmanlike signings of known prospects who can do a job although he's showed a bit more ingenuity this window with Kenzo and Zetterstrom.

But there have been a lot of signings, a lot of loans and not a lot of bringing players who are going to develop or that we could sell on for a decent fee. In investment terms it's been the equivalent of parking all your money in a bank account with minimal interest. 

10 hours ago, Eoghan1884 said:

A newly promoted team have lost 2 from 2 scoring 1 and conceding 6. Lost to a league two team on penalties but aren’t having a meltdown because there fans are saying it’s the man who’s got them promoted. It’s Ipswich by the way. They lost to Wimbledon on pens after drawing 2-2 in the 90 minutes. 

I get your point but it’s not quite comparing apples with apples is it? Back to back promotions (especially one where you’re competing with teams in receipt of parachute payments) is bound to buy you a little more patience from the supporters.

Also, their league defeats have been at the hands of Man City and Liverpool. Hardly the easiest of starts to the season. 

plus, I think Ipswich made quite a few more changes for the Wimbledon game - especially the starting 11.

1 hour ago, brady1993 said:

Hard to say.

The players he's signed we signed for about what they were worth and pretty much all of them have been somewhere between ok and decent. Largely it's been workmanlike signings of known prospects who can do a job although he's showed a bit more ingenuity this window with Kenzo and Zetterstrom.

But there have been a lot of signings, a lot of loans and not a lot of bringing players who are going to develop or that we could sell on for a decent fee. In investment terms it's been the equivalent of parking all your money in a bank account with minimal interest. 

I think this a fair assessment,  he's been solid but perhaps unspectacular with his signings.

Faie amount of mature players who are surplus to requirements or injury prone... or younger players kinda proven but with maybe one decent season who now need to rediscover their form.

So he's chosen safer or 'smaller' gambles.

Kenzo and Zetterstrom are unusual signings for him. But ultimately being conservative with our budget and need for upgrades possibly means relegation so he's being forced to take bigger gambles for a bigger pay off.

Which is why I expect a few loans to come in as nature will dictate he won't want to potentially be stuck with them permanently. 

We possibly won't get (afford) great lad, never any problem, hard working, ultra fit, good team ethic....as well as bags of skill, talent and game changing qualities. He definitely favours attitude rather than skill... no way he'd be signing a Clinton (or Ravel) Morrison, Adel Taarabt-type player.

So you're looking at untried youth - a route he seems averse to  - or a bit of an older journeyman - which he's been partial to but knows is fine for League 1 but possibly won't wash in the Championship. 

Still hoping he can pull in a loan or two ala Ozoh/Yates and get something else from overseas. 

I don't see him spending much tbf so yes I'd trust him but I am concerned we may be left short again.

There's a few different aspects to this.  Firstly, I think it's difficult to pin blame directly on Warne because we don't know how the process is working behind the scenes.  Are the recruitment team finding great players and Warne is saying no?  Are the recruitment team struggling to find anyone and Warne is on his own?  Are we finding great players but can't afford them, or they're turnings us down for whatever reason?  From the outside we have no clue on those aspects.

Secondly, I think it's clear that the recruitment hasn't been good since Warne got here.  Too many players that contribute nothing because they are permanently injured, or they suddenly don't seem to fit the managers plans, or they keep getting played out of position and struggle.  Obviously it's early days on the new signings, but I'm far from convinced that new midfielders fit Warne's usual high intensity box-to-box style, and I'm unclear as to why we've signed a short striker if we still want to cross a lot.  Even the one that looks good so far (Jackson) plays in the same position as our best attacker from last year, with the result that his form has dropped off a cliff when he's been moved to the other side.  Something, somewhere needs fixing.

Thirdly, and this is the key one for me, is do I want a squad filled with "Warne-type" players, and the answer is simply no.  Obviously character, fitness and work-rate all matter, but if you prioritise those things over everything else (particularly if you aren't exactly overflowing with cash) then you end up with a lot of players that aren't actually very good at the passing/crossing/shooting/tackling stuff that actually matters.  Even if we do get the recruitment right, and all the players fit Warne's style etc, I don't think it will be the kind of squad I particularly want to watch play.

The point is, it's not Warne spending anyone's money. The system at Derby these days is the Manager gives the recruitment team and the financial team a list of positions he wants to fill and the names of players he'd like for those roles. It's those two teams, not Warne, who then speak to clubs, agents and players. It's Pearce and the bean counters who decide how much/little to offer as a fee and in wages for any particular player. It's quite likely that some possible incoming won't have been named by Warne but sourced by recruitment and finances sorted by the bean counters. If it's a new name then Warne will get to say yes he fits what I want or no he doesn't fit the brief.

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

I like the assumption in this thread that it's Warne who is uniquely responsible for spending Clowes money, rather than him and a team of people, most of whom were appointed by David Clowes independently of Warne.

Warne was literally in on the interviews. When has a club ever appointed a head of recruitment through the managers say so. 

I'm purely speculating here, but I bet there's been all sorts of exceptional talent we have missed out on in this window and we have done so because we can't compete financially with these other clubs, nothing to do with our ability to spot talent.

Recruitment is easy when you can splash the money around, even with loans, the majority of which will come with a fee, although I can't imagine many prem club want to send exciting attacking talent to a team that pays defensive football. (chicken and egg until we get the players).

Also (mainly because I can't arsed to respond to all of these Paul Warne threads) - I think the football has been appalling to watch and it's also abundantly clear we need more people through the door to survive. But any Warne out comments at this stage of season is insane and is a typical knee jerk reaction with our fanbase. 

With this crop of players you have two options, nice football but get battered by the likes of Blackburn or horrible football where you pick up points, if we don't get the players in, we'll continue to see this brand of football for the first half the season.

11 hours ago, Eoghan1884 said:

A newly promoted team have lost 2 from 2 scoring 1 and conceding 6. Lost to a league two team on penalties but aren’t having a meltdown because there fans are saying it’s the man who’s got them promoted. It’s Ipswich by the way. They lost to Wimbledon on pens after drawing 2-2 in the 90 minutes. 

We’ve played Blackburn, Middlesbrough and Watford while they were in the game vs Liverpool and also played Man City. They also shelved out there reserves vs Wimbledon 

36 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I get your point but it’s not quite comparing apples with apples is it? Back to back promotions (especially one where you’re competing with teams in receipt of parachute payments) is bound to buy you a little more patience from the supporters.

Also, their league defeats have been at the hands of Man City and Liverpool. Hardly the easiest of starts to the season. 

plus, I think Ipswich made quite a few more changes for the Wimbledon game - especially the starting 11.

I think the real point is that any group of fans that start calling for the manager's head 3 games into the season after promotion are a sad indictment of the modern football supporter.

11 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

There's a few different aspects to this.  Firstly, I think it's difficult to pin blame directly on Warne because we don't know how the process is working behind the scenes.  Are the recruitment team finding great players and Warne is saying no?  Are the recruitment team struggling to find anyone and Warne is on his own?  Are we finding great players but can't afford them, or they're turnings us down for whatever reason?  From the outside we have no clue on those aspects.

Secondly, I think it's clear that the recruitment hasn't been good since Warne got here.  Too many players that contribute nothing because they are permanently injured, or they suddenly don't seem to fit the managers plans, or they keep getting played out of position and struggle.  Obviously it's early days on the new signings, but I'm far from convinced that new midfielders fit Warne's usual high intensity box-to-box style, and I'm unclear as to why we've signed a short striker if we still want to cross a lot.  Even the one that looks good so far (Jackson) plays in the same position as our best attacker from last year, with the result that his form has dropped off a cliff when he's been moved to the other side.  Something, somewhere needs fixing.

Thirdly, and this is the key one for me, is do I want a squad filled with "Warne-type" players, and the answer is simply no.  Obviously character, fitness and work-rate all matter, but if you prioritise those things over everything else (particularly if you aren't exactly overflowing with cash) then you end up with a lot of players that aren't actually very good at the passing/crossing/shooting/tackling stuff that actually matters.  Even if we do get the recruitment right, and all the players fit Warne's style etc, I don't think it will be the kind of squad I particularly want to watch play.

Two seasons in L1 where we couldn't pay fees saw us having to choose from a very limited pool of players. I thing getting promoted at the end of the 2nd season was an excellent achievement.

This season there is a little more cash available. Thus far we have spent, including possible add ons, a max of £2M on Goudmijn and Zetterström. Has the club decided to attempt to attract better players through wage offers rather than paying fees? Has a limited budget forced that decision?

One question I'd like answering is, is the dropping back 5 to 10 yards and surrendering midfield to the opposition Warne's tactics or are the players doing it? I sincerely hope it's the latter as the staff could correct that. If it's a tactic we've chosen then we are in the mire.

5 minutes ago, Castor said:

I'm purely speculating here, but I bet there's been all sorts of exceptional talent we have missed out on in this window and we have done so because we can't compete financially with these other clubs, nothing to do with our ability to spot talent.

Recruitment is easy when you can splash the money around, even with loans, the majority of which will come with a fee, although I can't imagine many prem club want to send exciting attacking talent to a team that pays defensive football. (chicken and egg until we get the players).

Also (mainly because I can't arsed to respond to all of these Paul Warne threads) - I think the football has been appalling to watch and it's also abundantly clear we need more people through the door to survive. But any Warne out comments at this stage of season is insane and is a typical knee jerk reaction with our fanbase. 

With this crop of players you have two options, nice football but get battered by the likes of Blackburn or horrible football where you pick up points, if we don't get the players in, we'll continue to see this brand of football for the first half the season.

Nice post.

It gets to the stage where every misplaced pass, overhit cross, missed tackle is Warn’s fault. 

Can’t compete with established championship clubs for the players we’ve identified? Warne rubbish.

Can’t convince them to come to a club that’s going to lose the majority of its games? Why not?

The only players we are going to attract are players looking for a chance, either because they are getting too old, lack experience or have failed at previous clubs. That’s not a great pool to fish in, but it’s where we are. We are just hoping these guys find their mojo with us. It is a punt and some won’t improve us.

What we do need is a strong team spirit and a crowd that supports the manager and players that represent Derby County for any given game. We can’t be divided yet hope the team is strong.

1 minute ago, Crewton said:

I think the real point is that any group of fans that start calling for the manager's head 3 games into the season after promotion are a sad indictment of the modern football supporter.

Not really, management is a dog eat dogs game and also the current managers previous record will also count and when not going well supporters will look to 3 relegations in 3 and think he’s not up to it. You can talk about Rotherham’s budget all day long and to a degree have a point but similar budget teams have stayed up in the championship. 

theres no harm in admitting at league 1 warne is a god, his style works bar 1 or 2 teams it’s not a footballing or intelligent division. You can make mistakes and get away with it. There’s no essence of tactics in league 1 but I found myself watching games in league 1 where warne got tactically outdone with managers making decisions and he didn’t react. 

unfortunately in the championship warne is a peasant. Managers are tactically astute and most teams play good football and can at times cut through you at will. You have to mix up play and I don’t see anything different in how we approach games. I can take being outplayed by certain teams in this division but mainly we got outplayed by teams in league 1 as well and waited for a set piece. 

I’ll give him time but I have seen nothing to suggest he has the tactical nouse to with stand this league which is a million times better than league 1. 

57 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

19 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

We’ve played Blackburn, Middlesbrough and Watford while they were in the game vs Liverpool and also played Man City. They also shelved out there reserves vs Wimbledon 

Wicked Tuna Fishing GIF by National Geographic TV

Was just a funny post about how we shouldn’t absolutely lose our heads after a couple of games.