Paul Warne

Day

4 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

For me it’s always been a matter of patience and tolerance. Some fans are more patient and tolerant than others, I understand that, but I thought we’d at least manage more than one match back in the championship before people were fully writing off the season.
Tonight showed there’s still plenty of work to be done, before anyone accuses me of happy clapping or some nonsense as I’m not. My view is we’ve still got time to recruit further, the team will hopefully gel quickly with more time spent training and playing together, and Warne may or may not prove to be the man to keep us up…. But it’s not quite the disaster some people seem to feel it is, all in my simple opinion of course. 

All fair points. But there are a good number of fans who were already convinced Warne would struggle in the Championship before a ball had been kicked. Every poor performance now just further cements that view.

I'd argue that fans in that camp are not unreasonably concerned or fueled purely by impatience. The style of play was often criticised even in L1 against significantly poorer opposition, and Warne's record in the second tier is objectively terrible. Those factors will already be in the back of a lot of minds as we embark on this campaign.

This club should not tolerate the risk of going back down to L1. If that becomes a serious possibility something would have to be done to prevent it. Obviously one match is not the trigger point, but that point must exist somewhere.

23 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

All fair points. But there are a good number of fans who were already convinced Warne would struggle in the Championship before a ball had been kicked. Every poor performance now just further cements that view.

I'd argue that fans in that camp are not unreasonably concerned or fueled purely by impatience. The style of play was often criticised even in L1 against significantly poorer opposition, and Warne's record in the second tier is objectively terrible. Those factors will already be in the back of a lot of minds as we embark on this campaign.

This club should not tolerate the risk of going back down to L1. If that becomes a serious possibility something would have to be done to prevent it. Obviously one match is not the trigger point, but that point must exist somewhere.

Aye. I’m just gonna stay out of the conversation and leave it to others.

31 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

This club should not tolerate the risk of going back down to L1. 

Not tolerate it how? Write a strongly worded letter to the EFL asking them no longer endorse relegation? Get a time machine such that admin never happened and we would still have a championship ripe squad? Or get Mel back in and spend for future Homer's problems? Or we should gamble on a different manager who we hope is enticed by having near to no money and a L1 rump of a team?

Edited by jcidaho
Typo

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Set us up in a 443, with thr full backs pushing very high up the pitch and wide CMs dropping into a wing back position. It helped us when going forward, but the gung-ho approach left us wide open at the back.

Warne tried experimenting at the start of last season by making all CMs and wide CBs join every attack - which also left us wide open at yhe back and led to errors. Eventually, Warne shifted from this approach and made us more solid... hopefully it won't take too long for him to recalibrate his approach this season.

Then what was the point of the entire pre-season? except getting fitness up.

2 hours ago, YouRams said:

7/11 players started were L1 players last season. Not writing them off after one game but the step up could be too much for some of them. Clearly need signings and transfers seem to be getting harder to complete. They mentioned on sky Blackburn have been disappointed with their window so far and look at the gulf in quality with what they already have.

How does the quality of players explain how terrible our pressing was for example? It doesn't take that high quality of player to simply know how to press as a team. It was embarrassing. I've seen better in the National League North. 

2 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

Honestly fella I can’t name you one manager, currently working in this division, who would do much better with the current squad available. 

That defence is just not championship standard at all. And we didn’t have a recognised striker on the pitch. Barkhuizen started for us tonight - a player not good enough to start for us in League One.

The only thing Derby fans should be focusing on right now is getting the recruitment done and done right. Warne doesn’t deserve all the blame tonight. 

It was Warnes decision to play 2 defensively weak full backs. Bradley was on the bench. We could've played a back 3. 

Once again it seems like pre-season has been completely wasted in terms of working on a system etc. 

The quality of players doesn't excuse the complete mess we were tactically. It was all over the place. 

1 hour ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

You should just hear yourself - so embarrassing and totally unreasonable 

You just don’t deserve to have a football club to support 

Please , do something else with your time 

2 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I’ve not stopped anyone saying anything, I haven’t singled one person out for criticism, I’m not exactly judging anyone and I don’t think I’ve been condescending either. I have expressed my opinion (quite respectfully I thought) that the rhetoric around Warne and the way some people go about expressing it whether pro or con, proves divisive. I think it’s a fair observation. 

Sorry, mate, not you personally, but I've seen a lot of that on this site. Was it directed at you personally, but it was relevant to the conversation you were having

43 minutes ago, TerryH said:

Terry you are just as bad as anyone else in disrespecting the opinion of others. Folks are entitled to an opinion, and if that is adverse but based on facts, it is their opinion. The club, its owners, the players are not permanently on a pedestal. When things are not good enough it is quite alright to say so. If folks have an ambition to be in the Champ rather than simply have a club, and performance are below the expected standard, it is ok to say so without fear of retribution from snowflakes who don’t have the mental capacity to hear adverse comments.

Thought you were closing down your account, kitchen too hot for you ? Instead your up all night having a go at folks.

I like paul Warne really want him to prove people wrong about not being able to manage in championship let's just wait until transfer window shuts hopefully the team will be improved I hated the days where managers were coming and going also who is out there that could come in and improve derby from top of my head I can't think of anyone let's get behind Warne and the players make pride park out fortress like the bbg used to be coyr we are all derby till we die let's get behind paul Warne and the players plus that curly haired #**##*# team are next let's show them we are bk

Last night’s performance was the stuff of nightmares for PW and staff. Schoolboy football at times, with gaps opening up and players too slow physically and mentally to do anything about it.

Our lack of passing ability was shown up and illuminated more by Goudmijn (the only bright spot).

NML was our only attacking threat and there was a huge gap between midfield and attack. Ozoh was disappointing, and he and Osborn were overrun. 

There was always the worry that Nelson and Cashin, terrific though they were last season, might struggle at this level. Not only were they poor, they were often miles apart and had no mutual understanding.

I was surprised we didn’t pick Nyambe and Forsyth as full backs for the first away game. Wilson and Elder were okay going forward but nowhere near solid enough defensively.

And who has stolen Ebou? He looks lost. 

We looked frenetic last night. When we slowed it down and kept possession, Blackburn looked very ordinary. Unfortunately, they have good forwards, we don’t.

Time for a deep breath, a bit of a reshuffle, and a rousing home crowd to get the boys’ confidence back.

Edited by Anag Ram
Typo

Fairly new to posting here and enjoyed pre season. Seems though there is some tier of importance around here now season has started. People have different opinions, to say people who criticise shouldn’t have a club to support is absolute nonsense. Yes we need to get behind the club, but yesterday wasn’t good enough and the team clearly wasn’t prepared adequately for the game.

5 hours ago, DCFC Kicks said:

It was Warnes decision to play 2 defensively weak full backs. Bradley was on the bench. We could've played a back 3. 

Once again it seems like pre-season has been completely wasted in terms of working on a system etc. 

The quality of players doesn't excuse the complete mess we were tactically. It was all over the place. 

I watched all the pre season games. To be fair we never appeared to play the same system in any games with what I would have called "the current first team". I was under the misunderstanding that as well as building up your fitness, you also start to find your best 11 and towards the last couple of games, you play that team for 60 plus minutes to get them to gel. PW and team played 2 x half's each game which is my only criticism.  However, he and we do not yet know the best 11 as hopefully still a few players to come in and maybe go. 

I will reserve my critique for when we are a finally settled team. 

For those out there expecting a massive season really need to remember our recent history and manage your expectations against budget and a team building process which will take a while.

Signs of a decent team there last night. They need a little time.

18 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Last night’s performance was the stuff of nightmares for PW and staff. Schoolboy football at times, with gaps opening up and players too slow physically and mentally to do anything about it.

Our lack of passing ability was shown up and illuminated more by Goudmijn (the only bright spot).

NML was our only attacking threat and there was a huge gap between midfield and attack. Ozoh was disappointing, and he and Osborn were overrun. 

There was always the worry that Nelson and Cashin, terrific though they were last season, might struggle at this level. Not only were they poor, they were often miles apart and had no mutual understanding.

I was surprised we didn’t pick Nyambe and Forsyth as full backs for the first away game. Wilson and Elder were okay going forward but nowhere near solid enough defensively.

And who has stolen Ebou? He looks lost. 

We looked frenetic last night. When we slowed it down and kept possession, Blackburn looked very ordinary. Unfortunately, they have good forwards, we don’t.

Time for a deep breath, a bit of a reshuffle, and a rousing home crowd to get the boys’ confidence back.

Very fair and well thought out post, agree with all of that.

It's virtually inevitable that an ex player scores against us. Up until half time there wasn't much in it and when we scored we played some decent stuff. The goalline clearance if gone in could have completely changed the game. Definitely small margins but we shot ourselves in the foot trying to get back after their second goal went in. Defence needs sorting out but besides that I for one was expecting a defeat ( Blackburn always seem to win against us). We are going to lose more games than we win but we have to fight in every match to grab points. It is going to be a long and interesting season. I for one am not panicking , let's get some more players in,especially a good number 9, and see where we end up. UTR!

5 hours ago, TerryH said:

I've been on this forum for years at this point, racked up almost 10,000 posts. Despite the fact there are people here who likely disagree with me on a regular basis you are the only person who has taken it upon themselves to fly off the handle like this. As for not deserving a club to support, what are you blathering on about? Pathetic.

You had a go at multiple people last night, myself included, then posted some rambling nonsense about wanting your account deleted because you simply can't handle the fact people have a different set of opinions to you, and your belligerent and condescending posts didn't get the reaction you wanted. 

Respectfully, Terry, get a grip.

6 hours ago, jcidaho said:

Not tolerate it how? Write a strongly worded letter to the EFL asking them no longer endorse relegation? Get a time machine such that admin never happened and we would still have a championship ripe squad? Or get Mel back in and spend for future Homer's problems? Or we should gamble on a different manager who we hope is enticed by having near to no money and a L1 rump of a team?

If we get to 15 games in the season and we are still looking clueless and results are rubbish I don't see how we could continue with Warne. Obviously you don't sack a manager after one game of the season, that is insane. It would however be equally insane to bloody mindedly stick with him if he doesn't demonstrate the ability to improve the situation and get to grips with the second tier.