Paul Warne

Day

9 minutes ago, islandram said:

Problem here is some posters don’t like warne. and the same posters will not like anyone who manages the club.

I didn't like Warne, I liked Jim Smith, George Burley, Stevie Mac and Lampard (until Wembley).

Warnes football at times was painful to watch, and his tactics at times were lacking.  It was a pretty easy league 1 this year, with the big teams (Reading and Wigan), being written off before a ball was kicked.... BUT, he got the results that mattered so fair play to him and he proved me wrong in getting promotion.  I didn't think we would make the playoffs let alone top 2. 

I will back him now though and look forward to seeing how he performs and who he can sign.  He more than deserves his chance now and it will be interesting to see what happens now his hands aren't tied by the EFL.

41 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Paul Warne's record so far for keeping a team in the Championship isn't great, is it? People keep saying "oh but look at the quality of the Rotherham squad"...is our squad looking that healthy at the moment? 

Is it not fair for fans to be a bit concerned about how we'll get on going into this season under him? We do after all only have his previous track record in this division to go by. 

Has anyone actually posited any of the arguments you cite? Can you quote an example please?

Seems to me you're addressing statements that have never been made, least not on here. For clarity, I've not seen even one post stating we're good to go with what we've already got, nor that Warne's prior record in the Championship fills them with confidence for the challenge ahead.  The only folk who have unwittingly suggested we have sufficient quality are those who claimed we should have walked the league last season because we had a Championship level squad to work with whilst in L1. In so much, is there even a debate to be had?

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

8 defeats in 42 games.

10 defeats in 42 games.

Result: 2 League titles.

Long live inconsistency!

It”s a well known fact that inconsistency (especially the consistent type) has always been the key to winning titles, cups and promotions. I will consistently be hoping for inconsistency next season.

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I didn't like Warne, I liked Jim Smith, George Burley, Stevie Mac and Lampard (until Wembley).

Warnes football at times was painful to watch, and his tactics at times were lacking.  It was a pretty easy league 1 this year, with the big teams (Reading and Wigan), being written off before a ball was kicked.... BUT, he got the results that mattered so fair play to him and he proved me wrong in getting promotion.  I didn't think we would make the playoffs let alone top 2. 

I will back him now though and look forward to seeing how he performs and who he can sign.  He more than deserves his chance now and it will be interesting to see what happens now his hands aren't tied by the EFL.

It's refreshing to see a critic of Warne acknowledging that their opinion had been wrong and will be prepared to give him a fair crack of the whip going into the new season and I have noted you are not alone in that view.

However, we know, come what may, there'll be a tiny minority of posters who, no matter what, will continue with their constant sniping at every opportunity - I really don't know why they bother!

2 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

Good post and all fair points, but just for the sake of debate...

Paul Warne's record so far for keeping a team in the Championship isn't great, is it? People keep saying "oh but look at the quality of the Rotherham squad"...is our squad looking that healthy at the moment? 

Is it not fair for fans to be a bit concerned about how we'll get on going into this season under him? We do after all only have his previous track record in this division to go by. 

Not saying I think we are in trouble - but just that the reservations (which I think get interpreted as criticism) by some are understandable and definitely not "mental"  

Well , 3 teams will be relegated at the end of the season . If we are not one of them it does represent progress .

2 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

Good post and all fair points, but just for the sake of debate...

Not saying I think we are in trouble - but just that the reservations (which I think get interpreted as criticism) by some are understandable and definitely not "mental"  

I cant imagine many squads are looking too healthy at the moment considering the transfer window isn't open yet. Not to mention the fact that we were close to extinction 2 years ago and could only sign players on 2 year deals, which have now ran out, meaning the squad is threadbare.

It is also worth nothing that when he left Rotherham to come here in October 2022, they were 8th in the league.

Warne is essentially going to be able to build the midfield he wants from scratch and probably the strikeforce too, which he wouldn't have had to do before.

Possibly around 10-12 players coming in, without restrictions. Lets see who we bring in and wait for the window to shut before judging if we have a healthy squad or not?

2 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I cant imagine many squads are looking too healthy at the moment considering the transfer window isn't open yet. Not to mention the fact that we were close to extinction 2 years ago and could only sign players on 2 year deals, which have now ran out, meaning the squad is threadbare.

It is also worth nothing that when he left Rotherham to come here in October 2022, they were 8th in the league.

Warne is essentially going to be able to build the midfield he wants from scratch and probably the strikeforce too, which he wouldn't have had to do before.

Possibly around 10-12 players coming in, without restrictions. Lets see who we bring in and wait for the window to shut before judging if we have a healthy squad or not?

Not saying DCFC has but, clubs will have agreed sales/purchases with other clubs and signed the deals. They will have agreed terms and signed contracts with players. The only thing they can't do is register any deals with the EFL yet. I hope we've got deals at that point already but won't be thinking of hara kiri if we haven't.

RUFC were indeed 8th when we nicked PW. They also had a game in hand on all 7 clubs above them. Had they won that, they would have been 5th.

3 hours ago, Inverurie Ram said:

Love Paul Warne 🐏

Rooney only got the derby job as he was a name in the building who was willing. Unlikely we'd have gone down that road again after Lampard.

Lampard was understandable. We'd tried plenty of managers who had success elsewhere and it hadn't worked. So we tried something fresh and it almost worked. He was as close as anyone to taking us up, so saying he was just a name is unfair.

Plenty of managers go into decent jobs having no experience. Paul Clement with us, McKenna at Ipswich. They'd be beaten with the stick of "you only got the job due to your name" if they were more famous.

Not sure what my point is here, other than there are no guarantees of success when hiring a manager. Unless it's pep and you have a bottomless pit of money.

3 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Has anyone actually posited any of the arguments you cite? Can you quote an example please?

Seems to me you're addressing statements that have never been made, least not on here. For clarity, I've not seen even one post stating we're good to go with what we've already got, nor that Warne's prior record in the Championship fills them with confidence for the challenge ahead.  The only folk who have unwittingly suggested we have sufficient quality are those who claimed we should have walked the league last season because we had a Championship level squad to work with whilst in L1. In so much, is there even a debate to be had?

You seem to be suggesting that I'm saying that people are happy with the current state of the squad or that they have 100% faith in Warne at this level. I've said neither. I'm just attempting to justify why people may have the opposite opinion to that. I think that it's more than fair for people to be concerned going into this season, and I certainly don't think the post that @MACKWORTHRAMwas replying to was "mental".

For what it's worth I don't think we can really even begin to predict how we'll do this season until the window has slammed shut. But I don't think we should shoot down people who have concerns, which is definitely happening on this thread and others. As I said previously, Warne's record at this level doesn't fill me with confidence at least, and I personally thought the quality of the football over the course of last season was pretty abject. 

3 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I definitely won't be assessing our chances this season until the window has shut - agreed.

But a lot of the points you were making seemed to be on assumed potential, and rather optimistically! Some people sit on the other side of the fence. Neither is right or wrong necessarily. 

All I'm arguing is that it's not mental to be concerned about how we'll get on under Warne this season, judging by both his record at Championship level and by the quality of the football that was on display last season. 

3 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

You seem to be suggesting that I'm saying that people are happy with the current state of the squad or that they have 100% faith in Warne at this level. I've said neither. I'm just attempting to justify why people may have the opposite opinion to that. I think that it's more than fair for people to be concerned going into this season, and I certainly don't think the post that @MACKWORTHRAMwas replying to was "mental".

For what it's worth I don't think we can really even begin to predict how we'll do this season until the window has slammed shut. But I don't think we should shoot down people who have concerns, which is definitely happening on this thread and others. As I said previously, Warne's record at this level doesn't fill me with confidence at least, and I personally thought the quality of the football over the course of last season was pretty abject. 

CBA

Just now, Nuwtfly said:

Are you alright? Such a bizarre response 

Just tired of the incessant victim card BS. I don't see it, I really don't. If you feel oppressed then that's for you to deal with. You've been on here more than long enough not to need this explaining. If you can show evidence and it's even half as bad as you imply,  you need to alert the mods, or better still, make use of the ignore function like everyone else. 

11 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Just tired of the incessant victim card BS. I don't see it, I really don't. If you feel oppressed then that's for you to deal with. You've been on here more than long enough not to need this explaining. If you can show evidence and it's even half as bad as you imply,  you need to alert the mods, or better still, make use of the ignore function like everyone else. 

Again, such a needlessly rude response. I don't know why you post like this so much nowadays but I will take your advice and make use of the ignore function.