Summer transfer suggestion thread

sage

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

Whitaker is joint top scorer in the Championship and Plymouth have priced him up at £16 mill. It just shows - you have to be patient with these young lads . I hope we have a sell -on clause for Bird . 

It also has to be the right environment for some players to thrive. We nurtured Morgan over a few seasons but playing at the upper end of Champ meant his opportunities were limited. Also didn’t pull up any trees at Swansea. Plymouth has built him up and taken him to a good level, but it helps them playing him at an appropriate league 1 level. Ironically, if he had stayed he could have played well for us!

38 minutes ago, r4derby said:

It also has to be the right environment for some players to thrive. We nurtured Morgan over a few seasons but playing at the upper end of Champ meant his opportunities were limited. Also didn’t pull up any trees at Swansea. Plymouth has built him up and taken him to a good level, but it helps them playing him at an appropriate league 1 level. Ironically, if he had stayed he could have played well for us!

Helps if your gaffer doesn't humiliate you and then throw you under the bus for good measure. It was clear for all to see that the lad had ability, least for those who cared to look, but at the same time, the club were under the cosh financially speaking and with Rooney's assessment clear, a decision was made. Bad times, hopefully never to be repeated. 

1 hour ago, r4derby said:

His debut season was under Cocu when we finished midtable. A manager who could spot potential but also know the best way to integrate him into the first team - hence why he only got 2 league starts under him and averaged just 21 minutes in his 19 other league apps. Then Rooney became manager at the start of season 2.

He got 4 sub apps under Rooney, the last of which saw him subbed off after being a 1st half sub. 1 month later he was sold.

19 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

His debut season was under Cocu when we finished midtable. A manager who could spot potential but also know the best way to integrate him into the first team - hence why he only got 2 league starts under him and averaged just 21 minutes in his 19 other league apps. Then Rooney became manager at the start of season 2.

He got 4 sub apps under Rooney, the last of which saw him subbed off after being a 1st half sub. 1 month later he was sold.

Rooney set Louie Sibley back years too, by removing the aggression from him.

In memory of B4.....

I reckon when Klopp leaves Liverpool at the end of the season some of their lads will want away.

We should be looking at Nobby Cater, Virgin Vandick and Mehmet Salad as they can't wait to pull on the black and white and play for the mighty Rams in front of a full house.

What do you guys think?

😍

10 hours ago, Carnero said:

Rooney set Louie Sibley back years too, by removing the aggression from him.

First time I've heard that? 

Sibley started Cocu's 2nd season in indifferent form and then picked up an injury that kept him out for a while. He certainly needed to improve his disciplinary record, but was Rooney solely responsible for that? It sounds more like Rosenior's area of responsibility, and I find it hard to imagine Rooney telling a player not to play aggressively?

Edited by Crewton
Corrected

14 hours ago, duncanjwitham said:

I suspect you're not entirely wrong.  Which creates an even bigger problem for next season, given the number of out-of-contract players that will need replacing.

[I've moved the discussion to this chat as I think it's better suited at this point]

At the moment, we have this team for next season:

Vickers
Nyambe   Nelson   Cashin
Ward   Fornah   ???   Elder
Mendez-Laing   Washington   Blackett-Taylor

Subs: Rooney, Bradley, Wilson, Brown

By extending just a few contracts (Thompson, Sibley, Collins) and making Adams permanent, we have a fairly reliable base to work from.
My main concern would be signing good enough CMs. Even if we have a 2 man midfield, I would like to see us sign/extend 4 CMs for next season (5 if a 3 man midfield)

5 minutes ago, Crewton said:

First time I've heard that? 

Sibley started Cocu's 2nd season in indifferent form, got stupidly sent off (Peterborough away?) and then got an injury which sidelined him for a while. He certainly needed to improve his disciplinary record, but was Rooney solely responsible for that? It sounds more like Rosenior's area of responsibility, and I find it hard to imagine Rooney telling a player not to play aggressively?

Sibley has only ever had 1 red card in his professional career - against West Brom and it was rescinded. This was also in his debut season when Cocu was manager.

Whilst I don't think Rooney wanted Sibley to be less agressive, I do think he drained every ounce of confidence he did have which resulted in him 'going backwards'. Rooney was even quoted in 2021 with "I want to get him back to that being aggressive... how he takes the ball, how he runs, how he takes a shot. I just feel he has come away from that a little bit".

His confidence was drained by not being given a fair run in the side. He would score off the bench, then get 45 mins from the start before being subbed, followed by being an unused sub for a few games. A point demonstrated by never once having back to back starts in his favoured AM position under Rooney.

On 14/02/2024 at 15:42, Dimmu said:

Max Bird - leaving 😪
Louie Sibley - keep
Joe Wildsmith - keep
Tyreece John-Jules - release
Tom Barkhuizen (club option 1 year) - 1 year extension
Ebou Adams - KEEP
Liam Thompson - keep
Conor Hourihane - release
Korey Smith - release
Kwaku Oduroh - release, although I don't think I've ever seen the lad play...
James Collins - keep, got to be worth another year
Craig Forsyth - keep, one more year, still looking good
Martyn Waghorn - release
Darren Robinson - keep
Scott Loach - keep, 3rd keeper & goalie coach, can't see a reason for releasing him

36 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Sibley has only ever had 1 red card in his professional career - against West Brom and it was rescinded. This was also in his debut season when Cocu was manager.

Whilst I don't think Rooney wanted Sibley to be less agressive, I do think he drained every ounce of confidence he did have which resulted in him 'going backwards'. Rooney was even quoted in 2021 with "I want to get him back to that being aggressive... how he takes the ball, how he runs, how he takes a shot. I just feel he has come away from that a little bit".

His confidence was drained by not being given a fair run in the side. He would score off the bench, then get 45 mins from the start before being subbed, followed by being an unused sub for a few games. A point demonstrated by never once having back to back starts in his favoured AM position under Rooney.

Or the opposition got to know the narrow aspect of his good play and he hasn't been able to adapt 

19 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

So we currently have a 26 man first team squad, of which you try to keep all but 5 of them - that doesn't leave much scope for improving the squad. If promoted, we'd need to improve more than just 3 CMs (replacing our 2 main starters) and 2 CFs

I didn't realise I had to think of this practically...
That's 6 out, and just the out-of-contract players. I'll be surprised if Cashin stays. I'd bounce Bradley - I know he's played a few decent games lately but he just annoys me at this stage. I'd probably move Ward & Washington on too. Rooney, Thompson & Robinson could do with a loan out.

So much of this is up in the air though - if we get promoted could Collins, Fozzy, and Barkhuizen really do a job in the Championship? Does Wildsmith actually want to stay? If he goes we seriously need a Championship keeper.

It's also possible Sibley & Thompson will save some time and sidle off to their natural home: Burton.

Anyway, suggestions....Louie Barry, Jake Young, Dan Kemp.

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Noted, but I did correct the sending off reference. With a yellow card every 4 games in the Championship though, he did need to improve his disciplinary record, and subsequently has in League 1.

18 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

Whitaker is joint top scorer in the Championship and Plymouth have priced him up at £16 mill. It just shows - you have to be patient with these young lads . I hope we have a sell -on clause for Bird . 

If we have a sell-on fee, we should buy him back. We'll get a % knocked off, so he'd be a bargain.

Just call me Martin Lewis.

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

So we currently have a 26 man first team squad, of which you try to keep all but 5 of them - that doesn't leave much scope for improving the squad. If promoted, we'd need to improve more than just 3 CMs (replacing our 2 main starters) and 2 CFs

For the midfield would take any of 

-Greg Doherty (27) out of contract 

- Jordan Thompson (27) out of contact 

- don’t shoot me but Ben Osborn (29) out of contract could wanna move home for his latter years 😅

Think all 3 players are steady hard working players who’d 100% keep us up if we went up. 

Another lad I’d have a look at is Joe Williams (27) at Bristol city who’s out of contract in the summer, would be a very good addition and I also think Max Bird is his replacement so could be kind of an indirect swap between clubs. 

6 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

If we have a sell-on fee, we should buy him back. We'll get a % knocked off, so he'd be a bargain.

Just call me Martin Lewis.

We sold him to Swansea, not Plymouth so we won't have any sell-on fees left.

Just call me a killjoy. 

Schitts Creek Party GIF by CBC

On 14/02/2024 at 15:42, Dimmu said:

Whatever league we are in, we might be looking for a completely new midfield next season. Players whose contract is expiring:

Max Bird
Louie Sibley   Keep
Joe Wildsmith keep
Tyreece John-Jules let go
Tom Barkhuizen (club option 1 year) keep
Ebou Adams try and sign
Liam Thompson let go
Conor Hourihane let go
Korey Smith let go
Kwaku Oduroh let go
James Collins keep
Craig Forsyth keep
Martyn Waghorn let go
Darren Robinson keep
Scott Loach let go

I hope we can sign a new deal with Sibbo, Thommo, and Collo. All would be good enough as squad players in either league. Barks option I'd use, if we don't get promoted and Loach could get himself another contract. If in League One, I'd hope Wildsmith to continue.

So, we should be looking at around a dozen incoming players and 4-5 them in center midfield.