Summer transfer suggestion thread

sage

53 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

For the midfield would take any of 

-Greg Doherty (27) out of contract 

- Jordan Thompson (27) out of contact 

- don’t shoot me but Ben Osborn (29) out of contract could wanna move home for his latter years 😅

Think all 3 players are steady hard working players who’d 100% keep us up if we went up. 

Another lad I’d have a look at is Joe Williams (27) at Bristol city who’s out of contract in the summer, would be a very good addition and I also think Max Bird is his replacement so could be kind of an indirect swap between clubs. 

I think we'll need to sign players with more end product. We're losing Bird and Hourihane who have a combined 9 goals and 13 assists so far this season

Docherty - 1 goal and 4 assists in 88 Championship games (1 contribution per 1011 mins)
Thompson - 3 goals and 3 assists in 122 Championship games (1 per 1125 mins)
Williams - 4 goals and 14 assists in 185 Championship games (1 per 749 mins). Also sufers with a lot of muscle injuries

Whilst I would expect Osborn to add the goals/assists we should be looking for, I think it's unlikely he would come to us.

I would also expect one of our summer signings to be a left footed set piece taker. We've seen this season how Warne likes us to swing corners in, with Hourihane and Mendez-Laing/Ward sharing responsibility. Perhaps Arthur Read who shares the responisbility at Colcehster too, is their leading assister and 2nd top scorer despite playing as a DM in Colchester's favoured 352.

9 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I think we'll need to sign players with more end product. We're losing Bird and Hourihane who have a combined 9 goals and 13 assists so far this season

Docherty - 1 goal and 4 assists in 88 Championship games (1 contribution per 1011 mins)
Thompson - 3 goals and 3 assists in 122 Championship games (1 per 1125 mins)
Williams - 4 goals and 14 assists in 185 Championship games (1 per 749 mins). Also sufers with a lot of muscle injuries

Whilst I would expect Osborn to add the goals/assists we should be looking for, I think it's unlikely he would come to us.

I would also expect one of our summer signings to be a left footed set piece taker. We've seen this season how Warne likes us to swing corners in, with Hourihane and Mendez-Laing/Ward sharing responsibility. Perhaps Arthur Read who shares the responisbility at Colcehster too, is their leading assister and 2nd top scorer despite playing as a DM in Colchester's favoured 352.

Was more so saying just one or two of them to play 6/8. You’d need end product around these players 100%.

Squad we should be keeping next season.

Wildsmith Vickers 

Nyambe Wilson 

Elder Fozzie 

Nelson Cashin Bradley 

Adams Thompson Robinson Fapetu 

NML CBT Barks 

Collins Washington 

So we need another 7 to replace Hourihane, bird, smith, waghorn, sibley , fornah, JJ 

On 15/02/2024 at 13:41, Premier ram said:

Be sad to see Fozzy go

It would and of course it's inevitable that at some point, he calls time. Next season though, I'd be pretty certain that if Warne's still here, Fozzy will be too. Warne was laughing in an interview recently at how a succession of Derby managers, including himself, have brought in players to replace Fozz and one by one, 'he's seen them all off. All of them'. It's funny because it's true and I'd be happy to see him getting another year. I think with Fozzy, you kind of know that it'll be him that tells us when it's too much work, not the other way around.

14 hours ago, Magicman said:

Squad we should be keeping next season.

Wildsmith Vickers 

Nyambe Wilson 

Elder Fozzie 

Nelson Cashin Bradley 

Adams Thompson Robinson Fapetu 

NML CBT Barks 

Collins Washington 

So we need another 7 to replace Hourihane, bird, smith, waghorn, sibley , fornah, JJ 

Doesn't fornah have a contract with us?

• 2 weeks later...

GK:

Out: Wildsmith - feels like he knows he isn’t Warne’s #1. Don’t think he’ll stay. 

In: Would like someone a bit more commanding than Vickers. 

First choice: New & Vickers 

reserve: Loach & Evans (u21s) 

Centre back:

Out: can we keep cash? Probably only if we go up. 
In: a solid replacement for Cash if he goes. Rooney back from injury. 

First team: Cash (or replacement), Nelson, Bradley, Rooney. 

Reserves: Fozzy

Deeper midfield: 

Out: Adams loan ends. 
In: Adams again? 

First team: Adams & Fornah 

Reserves: Robinson? 

I think if Fornah isn’t seen as being good enough to be first team then he needs moving on and replacing. Personally think he’s shown glimpses of quality but not had much of a chance. 

More advanced midfield: 

Out: Bird, Hourihane, Smith

In: 2 high quality midfielders to replace Bird and Hourihane. Midfielders that can drive forwards with the ball. That aren’t scared to look forwards first. Would give Sibley another contract. 

First team: Bird replacement, Hourihane replacement, Sibley, new attacking mid (10). 

Reserves: Robinson, Fornah. 

Think we need a minimum of 8 incoming if we lose nobody else. More if we have to replace Cash. 

Think with us needing 8 in that you could probably say it’s the same 8 positions regardless of division - the quality pool of players will just change slightly dependent on division. Even if we are still league 1 you’d want the majority of the players to be able to step up to the championship.