Summer transfer suggestion thread

sage

I have absolutely no problem in signing experienced players on a free - the problem is when you start paying fees for players late into their career. I would argue that it’s not advisable for a club in our situation.

Ultimately, we do need quality in any way we can get it. NML just had his career best year at 31/32. If the plan is to run a sustainable football club, outgoing transfers are a major part of being able to realise that. If you’re looking to compete, like we did in League One, the only factor is bring enough quality into the club. The resale value of assets is inconsequential, but I’d guess and hope that’s not the case now we’re in the Championship. 

30+ year olds bring experience, leadership and a calming presence when the pressure is on, having a few 30+ year olds in the squad is never a bad thing but you cannot have a full squad of them, usually their tanks empty a lot quicker and their legs just aren't there anymore, of course exceptions can be made for the elite, Walker is a machine for example.

Look at Chelsea this season, they have a lot of very skillful players but they're severly lacking in the experience and leadership department, their squads average age is 23.7 years, if they bring in some experience they'd be pushing for a top 4 finish next season.

12 hours ago, WarCatDCFC said:

Players back then could play football no matter what age even into their 40s but players these days after 30 they fall apart on the pitch they don't put in the work but the kind of players back then could run circles around our team today 

What you on about?

Look at total appearances of non goalkeepers playing late on 40 years ago vs players retiring now. 

Bellingham for example will probably burn out in his early thirties but he’ll have probably played the highest number of matches by an elite English footballer by that point. 

They’re like cars - it isn’t number of years old it’s miles on the clock. 

31 minutes ago, California Ram. said:

Tyreece John Jules just let go by Arsenal. Henry Jeffcott, who was briefly at Derby too

I'd have John-Jules back if we can get him on an incentivised contract. Maybe a small wage, but combine it with a decent bonus for when he plays. However, I doubt he'd go for something like that as it is so obvious he's injury prone.

2 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Okonkwo could be a decent goalkeeping option for us, especially if Vickers leaves too.

Agree with this. I've heard a lot of good things said about him from Wrexham fans. With him being available on a free transfer, we could even sign him up then loan him out back to wrexham in L1 for next season to help his development. Goalkeepers usually improve with experience so it could be good for him to go up the pyramid league by league. Just look at James Trafford for a goalkeeper whose development was rushed.

12 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Didnt Kido Taylor-Hart also have a loan spell with our u21s

Yep, him and another from arsenal

I'd take JJ on a 1 year deal to with option to extend to see if we can get him up to utilise his potential

Also the GK okonoko looks decent from what I saw on welcome to Wrexham 

3 hours ago, California Ram. said:

Tyreece John Jules just let go by Arsenal. Henry Jeffcott, who was briefly at Derby too

IMG_7324.jpeg

Really messes with me that there are women players in this same list. Some of the names I have zero clue if they're men or not.

My suggestion is that we sign 7 players who are well used to playing at midtable level in this division notably attack and midfield.  We can start with a few players on free transfers from Derby - Sibley and Collins, perhaps that Hourihane fella who'd take less wages if we let him do a bit of coaching. 

15 hours ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Nearly every relegated team has quality, same way there’s a few players we’d take off Birmingham ,Huddersfield and even Rotherham.

I think Rotherham are very much bringing in and not selling looking at their activity.

8 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

My suggestion is that we sign 7 players who are well used to playing at midtable level in this division notably attack and midfield.  We can start with a few players on free transfers from Derby - Sibley and Collins, perhaps that Hourihane fella who'd take less wages if we let him do a bit of coaching. 

Warne’s dilemma with Collins - is that in his last season in the Championship , he only scored 3 goals . If we had a young version of Chris Wood , I would be sleeping a lot easier . 

3 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Warne’s dilemma with Collins - is that in his last season in the Championship , he only scored 3 goals . If we had a young version of Chris Wood , I would be sleeping a lot easier . 

He'll be cover for injuries or a useful unit off the bench.  Like having an angry wasp too throw in someone's face to allow you to do a runner and get a draw when someone's give you a pummelling after 11 rounds.

6 hours ago, California Ram. said:

IMG_7324.jpeg

Sure Matt Hale will have a eye on a few of those some have good reputations at youth level.