Summer transfer suggestion thread

sage

I thought I would have a look back at some of my January suggestions...

On 14/01/2024 at 23:45, Ghost of Clough said:

Max Dean is a player to keep an eye on. Signed from Leeds last January, but only got regular starts for MK Dons in October. He's now got 9 goals and 1 assist in his last 14 games (including a goal vs Reading in the FA Cup).

He finished the season with 18 goals and 5 assists in 32 games for MK Dons (7 games off the bench) including 6 goals and 4 assists in the final 6 games. A scorer and a creator, he just needs to work on the defensive side of his role. At 20, there's plenty of room for improvement.

On 14/12/2023 at 23:37, Ghost of Clough said:

Stephen Wearne - a 22 year old CM (can play on the wing or at AM) with 10 goals and 10 assists in 20 games for Gateshead (NL). He's a willing runner with a fantastic first touch. Was at Newcastle's academy until 16, then moved to Boro followed by Sunderland, so understands what it's like at a larger club with decent facilities.

Joined MK Dons for a modest £60k in January. He had to fill in for 4 games at CF when Max Dean was injured, but still finished with 4 goals and 6 assists in 17 apps for them (5 sub apps). The step up from Gateshead has been easy, and he's had the 3rd most open play assists per 90 in L2 this season as well as creating the 2nd most chances.

I was certain I also suggested Joe Tomlinson (also MK Dons). He's a LWB (can play RWB) who signed from Peterborough last summer. He's picked up 7 goals and 5 assists in his 36 league games this season, building on his 12 goals and 4 assists in 42 games for Eastleigh in 20/21.

If any one is interested in pretty charts:

image.png.6da27d09af20aa0e8e175ec2370a70ef.png

image.png.4fb7d84e6c8a2309ca9deb696a1d726b.png

image.png.a6fd6f13afc06c9e751aa1262a5b616f.png

10 hours ago, europia said:

We have a bad habit of selling players on the cheap. Just over a million for Bird is pittance. 

So many players available for free is forcing prices down . We talk about Cashin being worth £7 mill but McKenna was available for free. A proven Championship player now playing Champions League .

Wash was barely adequate for L1 and certainly not good enough for the Champ. But hard to see who would take him off our hands- best we can hope for is a loan out for the season where we still pay a good proportion of his wages.

Love Waggy but he has to go too. Same with TJJ. We need some real quality strikers… probably two.

12 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

He's 22 so will command a compensation fee - essentially he'll go to the highest bidder and out of our price range.

They also have an extra year option on his current deal so I’d suspect they would still be looking at £1.5-2m. Not exactly our ball park.

11 minutes ago, CapeTownRams said:

Wash was barely adequate for L1 and certainly not good enough for the Champ. But hard to see who would take him off our hands- best we can hope for is a loan out for the season where we still pay a good proportion of his wages.

Love Waggy but he has to go too. Same with TJJ. We need some real quality strikers… probably two.

I’d offload Washington to a league one club for free on a permanent which is as good as getting near 100 thousand as that’s we have to pay if he stays and plays with us. A few league one clubs would definitely take him.

28 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Beebooopbeeepboooooop….

Would some of these be good signings?

Pretty slim pickings TBH.

Albrighton has always been reliable and would be a good squad player for a year.

Iheanacho would be great.

20 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Albrighton has always been reliable and would be a good squad player for a year.

Shudder to think how much they pay Iheanacho.

Since we’re apparently going to try get prem loans, what about Omari Kellyman, apparently didn’t want to leave at all but did it for the good of the club. 

He’s played 4 times for Villa this season and looks a real talent, constantly being selected for their bench. I’m sure he’d happily come back for a season.

5 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I thought I would have a look back at some of my January suggestions...

He finished the season with 18 goals and 5 assists in 32 games for MK Dons (7 games off the bench) including 6 goals and 4 assists in the final 6 games. A scorer and a creator, he just needs to work on the defensive side of his role. At 20, there's plenty of room for improvement.

Joined MK Dons for a modest £60k in January. He had to fill in for 4 games at CF when Max Dean was injured, but still finished with 4 goals and 6 assists in 17 apps for them (5 sub apps). The step up from Gateshead has been easy, and he's had the 3rd most open play assists per 90 in L2 this season as well as creating the 2nd most chances.

I was certain I also suggested Joe Tomlinson (also MK Dons). He's a LWB (can play RWB) who signed from Peterborough last summer. He's picked up 7 goals and 5 assists in his 36 league games this season, building on his 12 goals and 4 assists in 42 games for Eastleigh in 20/21.

If any one is interested in pretty charts:

You talking to yourself again 👻😉

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

How are you baring up today Smoggy 😢

27 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Since we’re apparently going to try get prem loans, what about Omari Kellyman, apparently didn’t want to leave at all but did it for the good of the club. 

He’s played 4 times for Villa this season and looks a real talent, constantly being selected for their bench. I’m sure he’d happily come back for a season.

Not actually a bad shout. Removing the bias of him being here as a kid, it's the type of loan we should be looking at anyway in this league.

These are some of my targets:

CB: J. Williams - 24 - Barnsley - E.O.C - Good defensive statistics, averaged marginally more tackles per game than Cashin (Derby's leader in this stat), marginally behind the first 3 cbs we have in interceptions and clearances, good age profile, improvement on Bradley in defensive stats apart from aerial ability, however he would only be 4th/5th choice cb

CB: R. Santos - 28 - Bolton - Transfer - This would be dependent on Bolton not going up, proven to be a really good defender in L1 and we could offer him the chance to take the next step in his career, defensive stats are similar to the likes are Cashin, Nelson and Forysth, wins more duels than any player we currently have, powerful, 68% pass accuracy is a better passing accuracy in the opposition half than are best cb this season (Cashin 58%)

LB: H. Burrows - 22 - Peterborough - E.O.C - averaged 2 tackles per game, 1 interception per game, 55% successful dribbles. Joint most big chances created in L1 this season with NML, These are all an improvement on what we had at LB/LWB and his crossing ability is on par with we we have. I'd see this as an improvement defensively and with his age we could potentially sell him on in the future.

CM: H. Kane - 25 - Barnsley - E.O.C. - Improvement of Hourihane defensively bettering him in tackles, interceptions, clearances etc, his passing ability is similar to Hourihane with Kane being better in the oppositions half, he's also younger and has time before he starts to decline physically, I presume he'd be more mobile than Hourihane is currently

CM: S. Carey - 23 - Blackpool - E.O.C. - Passing stats are very similar to Bird, majority of passes come in opponents half and they are pretty accurate (70%), more creative player than the likes of Bird, Hourihane, Adams, decent dribbling stats, lacking in goals and assists though

CM: E. Adams - 28 - Cardiff - Transfer - Sign him up. Simple as that really.

CM: P. Maghoma - 22 - Brentford - Loan - 12 g+a, excellent passing stats (83% with 77% in opponents half) which are an improvement on what we have, excellent dribbling stats, and wins more duels than he loses, good move for him to take the next step in his development after being in l1 with bolton this year

I'm not sure who we should go for as the type of striker we all would like would be out of our price range, but these are a few names who we could develop somewhat

ST: W. Evans - 26 - Newport - Transfer - 21 goals last season with a 21% conversion rate

ST: I. Olaofe - 24 - Stockport - Transfer - 20 goals last season with a 29% conversion rate, conversion rate in previous seasons is just under 20%, which is a bit low

ST: M. Langstaff - 27 - Notts County - Transfer - 28 goals last season with a 16% conversion rate, scored 40 odd the season before, wouldn't be surprised if he did go for a quite a bit but you never know

ST: L. Shankland - 28 - Hearts - Transfer - 21, 24, 8, 8, 24, 24, 26 goals over the last 7 seasons, he's out on contract at the end of next season which may bring his value down, however he could be a bit pricy at best he may be £1.5 million (which is still out of our budget probably)