Has DC lost faith in the recruitment process?

sage

1 hour ago, MadAmster said:

No. PW only wants players who will improve the team. Then there's the added complication of the "business plan". I get the impression many are thinking "roll on the summer then we can go out and spend". Problem is that isn't going to happen. Why not? David Clowes has told us that the club will be self sufficient and the financial situation will be sustainable. To me, that means we will spend no more than we have generated in income. 

We lost £6.8M in the first 9 months following the exit from administration. Gates are around 690 a game down on average so I'm not expecting the accounts for this season to be suddenly showing a profit. That means, for next season, as with this season, we will have ticket receipts, sponsorship and advertising revenue and that's it. If we're still in L1 then we'll have a similar amount to this season to spend. If we go up I'd expect us to have slightly more. That means we will still be limited on transfer and loan fees and on wages. That will put "proven" players like Clarke-Harris out of our budgetary range. It is unlikely we will see 7 figure buys. What will we see, then? More of the same? Some of it, yes, Apparently PW is now wanting to look abroad which is a good idea. 

I'd also be more than happy for PW to start showing some faith in the likes of Fapetu, Robinson, Weston etc. One would hope he gets some pressure to do so as Clowes was determined to retain the Academy's status and ignoring their better prospects goes against what DC appears to want... and he holds the purse strings. Next season, the kids will all be a year older, wiser, bigger and stronger. I say, give them a chance.

I might be wrong, but was'nt some of that £6.8m loss due to paying off some debts. Good post, agree with giving the youth some game time. Don't understand why Warne would keep sticking our young striker Brown on the bench regularly then send him out on loan to a non-league side. Some on here would say, "to improve his development" but the way I see it is different. Playing on loan with Gateshead, who don't have the same facilities as Moor Farm, nor have the same standard of coaches with their club compared with ours. And lastly playing against lower standard teams and with his Gateshead team mates also not being as good could halt his "development".

56 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

I might be wrong, but was'nt some of that £6.8m loss due to paying off some debts. Good post, agree with giving the youth some game time. Don't understand why Warne would keep sticking our young striker Brown on the bench regularly then send him out on loan to a non-league side. Some on here would say, "to improve his development" but the way I see it is different. Playing on loan with Gateshead, who don't have the same facilities as Moor Farm, nor have the same standard of coaches with their club compared with ours. And lastly playing against lower standard teams and with his Gateshead team mates also not being as good could halt his "development".

At the weekend he came on as a sub on 89 minutes. Great experience... not.

5 hours ago, MadAmster said:

At the weekend he came on as a sub on 89 minutes. Great experience... not.

I agree - that isn't much use if it continues like that, but it might make him work even harder to get into the first team picture at Derby so that he never has to play at that level again!

On 02/02/2024 at 12:29, Ghost of Clough said:

The process used for this season will need to be overhaulled. 12 summer signings and a further 2 in January, of which only 3 are likely to be regular starters is absolutely shocking (Nelson, Nyambe, Blackett-Taylor). This is also after the squad failed to place top last season, losing 3 of our first 11 (Roberts, Knight and McGoldrick) and not even having a right back in the entire squad.

It's summarised by having no long term vision. That's in terms of: a) bringing in younger players who will either maintain their current standards for longer, or have room for improvement; or b) planning how the players will fit into the team.

Warne put a clear focus on older and more experience players, based on the rationale of higher wages equates to better players. If more budget is put towards the wages, we'll end up with a stronger squad of players.
Warne also had no plan on how to fit the players into the team. This is demonstrated by early summer recruitment being with 3421 in mind, which quickly changed to 352, and then alternating between 442 and 4231 during the season so far. We signed a LB (Elder) to play as a wing back, but also signed Nyambe (RB) after already signing 2 wing backs. He also signed a slow CB who cannot play in a high line and is uncomfortable on the ball under pressure. We've basically got through from October with only 1 fully fit forward whowas 2nd choice last season and failed to improve on in the summer AND January.
The style of play our CF targets prefer also varied. Summer targets like Harris, Rhodes and Sharp all have different strengths and weaknesses. Similar with January targets such as Smith, Gregory, Mubama, Ennis. It's just a scattergun approach all round. Most of these targets compromise on the high intensity press Warne wants to implement too.

I just don’t see it like that. With Ward and Wash picking up long term injuries Warne was well stuffed. Add in the whole(not just DCFC ) football finances issues - take a look at PL spending. 
Then we look at the Warne wants older players statement. No he doesn’t - he was and is actively looking for players in their prime but has been priced out of the market. Now he could have gambled on kids and perhaps build for the future, I’d like that but a huge chunk on this forum would be saying he’s rubbish we need out of this league, where’s the quality - we have very impatient fans. Naaaa I don’t buy very much of your proposition. It’s a dog fight, we haven’t had much luck with injuries and we don’t have cash to splash. And … he changed shape when he couldn’t get the players he wanted for specific jobs, or if he did, they got injured. Yet ….. here we are in second place

11 hours ago, jono said:

I just don’t see it like that. With Ward and Wash picking up long term injuries Warne was well stuffed. Add in the whole(not just DCFC ) football finances issues - take a look at PL spending. 
Then we look at the Warne wants older players statement. No he doesn’t - he was and is actively looking for players in their prime but has been priced out of the market. Now he could have gambled on kids and perhaps build for the future, I’d like that but a huge chunk on this forum would be saying he’s rubbish we need out of this league, where’s the quality - we have very impatient fans. Naaaa I don’t buy very much of your proposition. It’s a dog fight, we haven’t had much luck with injuries and we don’t have cash to splash. And … he changed shape when he couldn’t get the players he wanted for specific jobs, or if he did, they got injured. Yet ….. here we are in second place

I largely agree. I think GoC should have included Wilson in that list of regular starters and can now also add Adams. Bradley, Elder and Ward have started to show that they can also play a part in a successful end to the season too. Washington and Waghorn are due back soon and have already shown that they can add something from the bench, if not perhaps as starters.

Recruitment hasn't been stunning, but as we found during Nigel Clough's tenure, when you're fishing in the bargain basement you get as many misses as you do hits. Perhaps Warne and co haven't yet stumbled across the equivalent of Martin, Bryson, Fozzy et al, but the number of demonstrable "flops" appears to be reducing.

The failure to sign a direct alternative to Collins is obviously disappointing and something that could come back to bite us, but at least we haven't signed a Liam Dickinson, Conor Sammon, Leon Best, Liam Moore or Nick Blackman.

I think our recruitment has been fine and i think we're finally gelling as a team. Took its time mind haha. I think hes just getting by till wash and waghorn return. Barkz and mendez laing can both play forward positions. And i think collins is rarely injured. Also im hoping that young lad Brown will turn out to be a gem and is currently loaned out playing mens football. we'll be fine have faith. I had mards on when we sold bird but realised we're a league one team and we are not the team we used to be.

2 hours ago, Crewton said:

Recruitment hasn't been stunning, but as we found during Nigel Clough's tenure, when you're fishing in the bargain basement you get as many misses as you do hits.

Not only in the bargain basement, the money lost under Mel's tenure for some of the signings were eye watering. From SM to PC, we seem to forget that recruiting is not as easy as when you load up the latest version of FM24.

14 minutes ago, Returning ram said:

Not only in the bargain basement, the money lost under Mel's tenure for some of the signings were eye watering. From SM to PC, we seem to forget that recruiting is not as easy as when you load up the latest version of FM24.

Agreed, but I hope David Clowes is studying how Brighton do it and will try to make us into that kind of operation.

2 hours ago, Crewton said:

Agreed, but I hope David Clowes is studying how Brighton do it and will try to make us into that kind of operation.

While he may be studying their model I doubt he will be matching the £427 million that Tony Bloom has injected into the club or even the £70 million he lent them last year to clear the bank loan.

25 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

While he may be studying their model I doubt he will be matching the £427 million that Tony Bloom has injected into the club or even the £70 million he lent them last year to clear the bank loan.

Quite 😄 

3 hours ago, Crewton said:

I noticed the value of Kansas City Chiefs has risen by $360 million since Taylor Swift has started “ going out” with one of their players . Do we have any single lads ? Because Jane Macdonald is looking for a sport type .

7 hours ago, Crewton said:

I largely agree. I think GoC should have included Wilson in that list of regular starters and can now also add Adams. Bradley, Elder and Ward have started to show that they can also play a part in a successful end to the season too. Washington and Waghorn are due back soon and have already shown that they can add something from the bench, if not perhaps as starters.

Recruitment hasn't been stunning, but as we found during Nigel Clough's tenure, when you're fishing in the bargain basement you get as many misses as you do hits. Perhaps Warne and co haven't yet stumbled across the equivalent of Martin, Bryson, Fozzy et al, but the number of demonstrable "flops" appears to be reducing.

The failure to sign a direct alternative to Collins is obviously disappointing and something that could come back to bite us, but at least we haven't signed a Liam Dickinson, Conor Sammon, Leon Best, Liam Moore or Nick Blackman.

Fair summary I'd say. If improvement continues that would be good.... it's taken longer than I thought for some to show their capabilities but tbf it does look like they have some!

1 minute ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

Perhaps the biggest disappointment for me is Tyrese Fornah. I thought he would be the young, athletic, physically dominant midfielder we needed alongside the likes of Bird and Hourihane, but he's basically delivered next to nothing and we've been forced to bring in Adams instead for that position.

One hopes that having Adams shows Tyrese the way and he can step into the role more convincingly next season....

Fornah was a poorly researched purchase, who we only wanted on loan initially, and was signed without any clear evidence of an understanding of what his abilites are or how to fit him into the team.  As I said on the Adams thread, I'm glad we've rectified the mistake (to a degree, because we still have Fornah taking up a wage) but it shouldn't have been made in the first place.

If we wanted him to offer the same attributes and impact as we got from Adams it might have helped if we actually played him in the same system a bit? Rather than shoving him in as the more advanced mifielder in a two in front of Korey Smith.

He made his debut on 26th August but it wasn't until 8 games later he featured in the same midfield as Hourihane & Bird, and he's only had 272 minutes (182 in the league) across 5 games on the pitch at the same time as them since.

4 wins 1 draw
Notts County 2-1 Derby 90 mins
Derby 2-1 Bristol R 12 mins
Port Vale  0-1 Derby 89 mins
Derby 1-1 Wycombe 15 mins
Derby 3-1 Lincoln 66 mins

The way it's being twisted toward being Fornah's fault is a bit odd IMO

Edited by May Contain Nuts

On 05/02/2024 at 12:08, plymouthram said:

Don't understand why Warne would keep sticking our young striker Brown on the bench regularly then send him out on loan to a non-league side. Some on here would say, "to improve his development" but the way I see it is different. Playing on loan with Gateshead, who don't have the same facilities as Moor Farm, nor have the same standard of coaches with their club compared with ours. And lastly playing against lower standard teams and with his Gateshead team mates also not being as good could halt his "development".

Yes. Playing on crap pitches, and against thuggish defenders who are often slow but who know precisely what rubbish refs will let them get away with. 

2 hours ago, May Contain Nuts said:

Fornah was a poorly researched purchase, who we only wanted on loan initially, and was signed without any clear evidence of an understanding of what his abilites are or how to fit him into the team.  As I said on the Adams thread, I'm glad we've rectified the mistake (to a degree, because we still have Fornah taking up a wage) but it shouldn't have been made in the first place.

If we wanted him to offer the same attributes and impact as we got from Adams it might have helped if we actually played him in the same system a bit? Rather than shoving him in as the more advanced mifielder in a two in front of Korey Smith.

He made his debut on 26th August but it wasn't until 8 games later he featured in the same midfield as Hourihane & Bird, and he's only had 272 minutes (182 in the league) across 5 games on the pitch at the same time as them since.

4 wins 1 draw
Notts County 2-1 Derby 90 mins
Derby 2-1 Bristol R 12 mins
Port Vale  0-1 Derby 89 mins
Derby 1-1 Wycombe 15 mins
Derby 3-1 Lincoln 66 mins

The way it's being twisted toward being Fornah's fault is a bit odd IMO

Can you provide any evidence at all for your comments regarding the research undertaken or his abilities? I doubt it and if not, it will be another of your posts which will go in the trash can.