Where do you think we'll finish this season?

The way the points are now I can’t see GD coming into play, and this would only really help us if we’re 2 or 3 points ahead going into Carlisle and would give us the cushion of having an off day. 

Bolton have Shrewsbury and Port Vale at home where they could easily eradicate our superior GD. 

Not sure where that leaves us in terms of points realistically needed to get over the line. 

9 hours ago, DerbyRevolution said:

The way the points are now I can’t see GD coming into play, and this would only really help us if we’re 2 or 3 points ahead going into Carlisle and would give us the cushion of having an off day. 

Bolton have Shrewsbury and Port Vale at home where they could easily eradicate our superior GD. 

Not sure where that leaves us in terms of points realistically needed to get over the line. 

Edited by Tamworthram

11 hours ago, DerbyRevolution said:

GD could very easily come into it. If Bolton were to finsh level on points with us, then it means they've closed the GD gap by at least 2 goals (from 4 to 2). They've also scored more than us so far this season. It means they only have t win a couple of games 2-0 when we win by 1 goal for their GD to match ours (and still have a better goals scored tally).

I think what I meant to say was we can’t rely on it, I’ve heard a few people say we’ve got the goal difference that’s an extra point. But if it comes down to GD then Bolton have picked up 4 points where we pick up none so GD probably wouldn’t be in our favour at that point. 

In the previous games against the teams we have left to play, we have a goal difference of +5 and eight points.

That would give others the target of 90 points and a plus 40 goal difference.

So Bolton would need four wins out of five and a +9 goal difference. They got seven points and 0 goal difference. That would leave them well behind.

Peterborough and Barnsley, five wins and a draw out of six.

Peterborough have done that with a goal difference of +10. So enough points but not enough goals.

Barnsley got ten points so not enough.

It's all waffle of course, I'm really hoping we win the lot, but if we replicate what we've done, the others will have to better what they've done. COYR.

Edited by Beetle

Interesting (perhaps only to me as my kids are playing on devices at the moment) if Peterborough do that, they would be second starting the last game of the season.

We'd beat Carlisle and they would draw with Bolton.

2 minutes ago, Beetle said:

Interesting (perhaps only to me as my kids are playing on devices at the moment) if Peterborough do that, they would be second starting the last game of the season.

Of course, as you say, it’s all waffle. Just because we beat Orient 3:0 away doesn’t mean we’ll beat them at home. Just because we could only draw at home v Wycombe doesn’t mean we won’t beat them away (or lose 😮). In a football scenario (especially when you take home and away into account), past performances (and results) is in no way a reliable indicator of future games.

Whatever happens, I sincerely hope it doesn’t come down to us needing to beat Carlisle (of course we should but, stranger things have happened this season) AND Posh v Bolton being a draw. I’m not sure my heart could take it.

13 hours ago, DerbyRevolution said:

2 or 3 points ahead going into Carlisle and would give us the cushion of having an off day. 

Let's be honest - if we have an off-day against Carlisle, a team who will have been relegated long before the last game  - we don't really deserve to be promoted!

According to my previously expounded theory that we need 12 points from 6 games (total 90) because Bolton won't get more than 15 points from 7 games (total 89), right now we are ahead of that (4 points from the last 2 games rather than 2 points), whilst Bolton are on track as per my prediction (4 points from the last 2).

I've predicted a win for them against the Gas tomorrow, so anything less than that makes us even more likely to be able to hold them off.

The main problem is the “Northampton Syndrome”. Losing/failing to win games that if football was only played in theory then we would win them.

I think it will boil down to being ruthless with the goal scoring chances that come our way. The defence should keep it down to one per game conceded.

4 hours ago, StantonRam said:

According to my previously expounded theory that we need 12 points from 6 games (total 90) because Bolton won't get more than 15 points from 7 games (total 89), right now we are ahead of that (4 points from the last 2 games rather than 2 points), whilst Bolton are on track as per my prediction (4 points from the last 2).

I've predicted a win for them against the Gas tomorrow, so anything less than that makes us even more likely to be able to hold them off.

1/  Isn't our actual 4 points from the last two games bang on equal to your previously predicted 12 points from the last 6 games (2.0ppg), and therefore not ahead?

2/  Isn't Bolton's actual 4 points from the last two games (2.0ppg) slightly below your previous prediction of 15 from 7 games (2.1428ppg)?

3/  If you cycled from That London to Stanton, how many miles would you be from home?

10 hours ago, Beetle said:

I would imagine that whoever is in 2nd place ahead of the final day will be the team to go up, I don’t see anyone in that position slipping up even if it’s Bolton or Peterborough as the other would probably have nothing to play for in that scenario. 

36 minutes ago, DerbyRevolution said:

I would imagine that whoever is in 2nd place ahead of the final day will be the team to go up, I don’t see anyone in that position slipping up even if it’s Bolton or Peterborough as the other would probably have nothing to play for in that scenario. 

Agree with this Same as last season with Peterborough going to Barnsley we still felt there was a chance that even if we didn’t win at Wednesday we’d have a chance but Barnsley just rested everyone 

2 hours ago, DerbyRevolution said:

This can happen but my gut tells me that there will be two-three points between 2nd and 4th going into that game, maybe a couple on the goal difference and everyone will be trying to win.  

1 hour ago, Topram said:

Agree with this Same as last season with Peterborough going to Barnsley we still felt there was a chance that even if we didn’t win at Wednesday we’d have a chance but Barnsley just rested everyone 

We only needed a draw in that game. The referee ruined it by giving them a penalty and sending Davies off

Edited by Rammy03