Klopp to Stand Down at End of Season

JfR

35 minutes ago, GB SPORTS said:

Klopp is not a bad manager, but to call him a legend is a bit far IMHO.

He is probably only the 4 or 5 th best coach for Liverpool in my life time.

Also way behind Clough, Ferguson, Shankly, Paisley, Pep, Mourinho.

Modern day legend for the club.

Modern day, as in the last 20/30 years.

The club, as in Liverpool.

For a club with such a decorated trophy cabinet, they went an awfully long time without really being a threat to the top clubs.

Klopp has come in and brought domestic and European success, when you see some of the Derby players being labelled legend on this forum, I don’t think calling Klopp a modern day legend for Liverpool is that absurd.

11 minutes ago, David said:

For a club with such a decorated trophy cabinet, they went an awfully long time without really being a threat to the top clubs.

Klopp has come in and brought domestic and European success, when you see some of the Derby players being labelled legend on this forum, I don’t think calling Klopp a modern day legend for Liverpool is that absurd.

Sorry David,

We will have to agree to disagree 4 major trophies in over 8 years is hardly legend status, a club the size of Liverpool need to winning 8 in that time.

The amount of cash he has had to throw at it, he should have won more.

Surely any manager who leads any club to a championship and European success and other cups besides would easily constitute legendary status?  These trophies  don’t come around too often and Liverpool hadn’t won the league for 30-off year, so quite an achievement.  

Clubs are allowed to have more than one legend too, so giving Klopp that status hardly diminishes the achievements of Paisley, Shankly or Dalgleish! 

In any event, hope they get a a manager in with a similar philosophy. Much rather watching Liverpool than the snore-fest that is City. 

9 hours ago, David said:

He's not even a modern day legend. He's a Liverpool legend full stop.

No doubt Klopp would have won numerous other trophies if it wasn’t for Guardiola at City.

Similarly, Wenger would have won a bunch more trophies at Arsenal had it not been for SAF at Arsenal.

Sometimes you are just in an era where you are brilliant, but there is somebody better.

Take two out of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic out of the equation and the other one gets 40 grand slams. In any other era they probably would have reached that amount.

Klopp in PL terms has a higher PPG tally than SAF, Wenger and Mourinho.

It’s almost unfair that he has just the one title despite finishing on 90+ points on three occasions.

For context, both SAF and Wenger never reached 90+ points in their 40+
combined seasons. Klopp has managed it three times in 7 years and you wouldn’t back against him doing it again this season.

I have no love for him. But he is a legendary manager and in the top three of his era (past 15 years) alongside Pep and Ancelotti. 

21 hours ago, David said:

Always been a fashion among fans to be a tad mealy-mouthed when it comes to Liverpool, but they've been a great team, and a great footballing city for pretty much all of my life and I think Klopp's record stands up against anyone's in recent years, perhaps only eclipsed by Guardiola and Ferguson. We'll miss these managers when they've gone and lest we forget, the likes of Klopp have been quite pioneering and have changed the 'English' game noticeably, in my opinion, for the better.

All of this said, I've felt that for a couple of years now he's been getting progressively more tightly wound and I think it's a smart call from a smart guy to release the pressure. He's nothing left to prove and what's the point of success, if it is not  an enabler to the things that really matter; for me, that's my family and my friends and perhaps that's where he's at right now?

I hope the team and city rally around Klopp and they can continue to stave of Citeh. With KDB back pulling the strings, holding them at bay will be tough but as in previous seasons, it's been a better league for their rivalry.

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

No doubt Klopp would have won numerous other trophies if it wasn’t for Guardiola at City.

Similarly, Wenger would have won a bunch more trophies at Arsenal had it not been for SAF at Arsenal.

Sometimes you are just in an era where you are brilliant, but there is somebody better.

Take two out of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic out of the equation and the other one gets 40 grand slams. In any other era they probably would have reached that amount.

Klopp in PL terms has a higher PPG tally than SAF, Wenger and Mourinho.

It’s almost unfair that he has just the one title despite finishing on 90+ points on three occasions.

For context, both SAF and Wenger never reached 90+ points in their 40+
combined seasons. Klopp has managed it three times in 7 years and you wouldn’t back against him doing it again this season.

I have no love for him. But he is a legendary manager and in the top three of his era (past 15 years) alongside Pep and Ancelotti. 

Scousers talking about building a statue to him. Everything you say is true, but the record will show he’s just won one champions league and one premier league. Where’s the statue for Benitez. Yes they’ve won the title, but this is Liverpool, past managers were winning back to back titles, winning one title is pretty much the minimum requirement. Not winning one title would have been a failure. Should he be a legend for achieving the minimum?

I know that’s unfair cos he was up against Pep and probably would’ve won more without him, but that’s the reality. You don’t get statues for coming second place.

Bit of a nearly man really. They nearly won back to back champions leagues. They nearly won the quadruple. That would have been proper legendary status. There’s some parcelled universe where those thighs came to pass. But it’s not this universe. 

Of course, if he wins the quadruple this season, we’ll see. His story isn’t finished yet. 

52 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Scousers talking about building a statue to him. Everything you say is true, but the record will show he’s just won one champions league and one premier league. Where’s the statue for Benitez. Yes they’ve won the title, but this is Liverpool, past managers were winning back to back titles, winning one title is pretty much the minimum requirement. Not winning one title would have been a failure. Should he be a legend for achieving the minimum?

I know that’s unfair cos he was up against Pep and probably would’ve won more without him, but that’s the reality. You don’t get statues for coming second place.

Bit of a nearly man really. They nearly won back to back champions leagues. They nearly won the quadruple. That would have been proper legendary status. There’s some parcelled universe where those thighs came to pass. But it’s not this universe. 

Of course, if he wins the quadruple this season, we’ll see. His story isn’t finished yet. 

You say nearly men and yeah, true, you have to also consider the journeys the fans have been on. That extra Champions League Final, the League Cup Finals, Europa League.....they all build to what has a brilliant era in the clubs history. They are also in a great position in this season, his last, to go win the title again.

And they have done it in style, being one of the most entertaining clubs to watch in recent times, we have lots of debates on here over results v style of football, some argue why not have both and Liverpool fans have had that.

I don't know if he deserves a statue, however having done the Anfield tour they do like to recognise the clubs history in and around the ground, Klopp already features centre in their wall of Champions. I wouldn't be surprised if they honour him in some other ways around the ground.

F5C36497C5EEF4_photomosaic-bg1_V1.jpg

8 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Becoming manager of Everton makes a statue at Anfield a difficult sell

On 28/01/2024 at 00:59, TigerTedd said:

Benitez didn't win them their first league title in 30 years.

Just now, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Benitez didn't win them their first league title in 30 years.

Yes, but the reason that’s such an achievement is that they are specifically historically league winners. They should be winning leagues. The fact that they hadn’t was an underachievement. Winning the league is just standard to a scouser who grew up in the 70s.

Leicester are the kind of club who build statues when they win the league. But for Liverpool, winning the league isn’t enough by itself to make you a legend.

like if everyone who won the league with Chelsea had a statue, they could probably have a starting 11 of statues. For some clubs winning the league is just the bare minimum. You get sacked if you don’t win the league. Liverpool are one of those. 

26 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Yes, but the reason that’s such an achievement is that they are specifically historically league winners. They should be winning leagues. The fact that they hadn’t was an underachievement. Winning the league is just standard to a scouser who grew up in the 70s.

Leicester are the kind of club who build statues when they win the league. But for Liverpool, winning the league isn’t enough by itself to make you a legend.

like if everyone who won the league with Chelsea had a statue, they could probably have a starting 11 of statues. For some clubs winning the league is just the bare minimum. You get sacked if you don’t win the league. Liverpool are one of those. 

That's the thing, Liverpool weren't one of those for years until Klopp arrived. Yes, there were high expectations, but they were struggling to even get into the Top 4.

Tbf, it's all immaterial. It's the Liverpool fans who decide whether or not he's a legend, and they seem to be pretty unanimous.

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

That's the thing, Liverpool weren't one of those for years until Klopp arrived. Yes, there were high expectations, but they were struggling to even get into the Top 4.

Tbf, it's all immaterial. It's the Liverpool fans who decide whether or not he's a legend, and they seem to be pretty unanimous.

Then the fans could crowd fund a statue by flogging all the hubcaps they've nicked down the years......

#outrageousscouseracism

6 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Then the fans could crowd fund a statue by flogging all the hubcaps they've nicked down the years......

#outrageousscouseracism

If they had owt about 'em, they could make a trendy/arty statue out of said nicked hubcaps!

It'd only take a few hours each night, after wor... oh... bugger...