Derby v Cheltenham Town - Match Day Thread

1 hour ago, Donegal Ram said:

From the very first kick off from hourihane to Cashin, he then lumps the ball forwards towards the sideline the tone was set for the match. This is not good enough when you have our forwards strength in the air. Poor tactics. 

Bird and Hourihane just are not strong enough in midfield. Their positioning is too high up the pitch not to help out with the defence and far eniugh back not tk influence things going forward. Hourihane has clearly been told to get the ball forward quickly, which quite frankly makes him look foolish. He has to sit out the next few games and get some legs in the middle. Bird did far better when the changes were made as did the team. Lucky to get away with 3 points today. 

Its exactly the same tactic that we have used in every game where we have kicked off this season?

If Hourihane has been clearly told to get the ball forward quickly then he is clearly disobeying orders.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

I enjoyed the result and I enjoyed two very good goals. However, I was disappointed with our performance for the first 60 minutes. If that makes me a member of your so called “performance police” then guilty as charged.

Think this says quite a bit tbh.

When I read your posts I generally think they're well balanced and always considerate of the opinion of others but you do recognise the posts which are sunny for the sake of false.optomism but you will also call out negative troll posts when they go OTT. I guess what I'm saying is...

Sacha Baron Cohen GIF

Edited by May Contain Nuts

10 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Even home bankers require more than just turning up and expecting to win.

Everyone - Warne, players, fans, ball boys, boot cleaners, catering staff - will know that we need to improve but in the circumstances, it is better to grind out a win and have three points on the board.

8-9 players, including three starters, are missing and this is and will continue to put a strain on us. Cashin, Nelson, Bird, Hourihane, NML and Collins are having to play each and every game at a time when they might need a breather. Several players are having to play out of position.

Is it really any wonder that performances are not quite up to standard?

Every team has injuries and missing starters and players that need a breather. It's league one. We actually have a deeper squad than most. Not really a valid excuse is it? Everyone accepts that it's better to win the games, but the manner of performances are genuinely troubling. And it isn't a one off. Everyone can understand a one off bad game, but it's becoming a pattern now. 

7 minutes ago, Andicis said:

A top side should beat a bottom side at home isn't arrogance. It's just what top sides should do.

If I could be bothered I'd pick out loads of examples.

Can't be bothered though. 

It's just arrogance to expect victory in any fixture. 

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

Every team has injuries and missing starters and players that need a breather. It's league one. We actually have a deeper squad than most. Not really a valid excuse is it? Everyone accepts that it's better to win the games, but the manner of performances are genuinely troubling. And it isn't a one off. Everyone can understand a one off bad game, but it's becoming a pattern now. 

Care to quantify this without looking at Google?

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

If I could be bothered I'd pick out loads of examples.

Can't be bothered though. 

It's just arrogance to expect victory in any fixture. 

Cheltenham are a club that likely have a budget that is absolutely dwarfed by Derby, who are scrapping at the bottom of the league. We should expect to beat them at home. That's not arrogance, that's just setting reasonable expectations. The standards are in the floor if that's considered to be a controversial take. 

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

Care to quantify this without looking at Google?

Nope. Can't be arsed. We both know that statement is true (our budget is top end, if not the top one in the league so almost certainly is true). We certainly have a deeper squad than Cheltenham. 

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Yes, Ipswich should have beaten Maidstone. They didn't, but if I was an Ipswich fan I would be criticising their manager, I don't exactly see your point. 

It was really what your point was which I don't get

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

Not walking into a typically dead end discussion with you Tyler, if you can't understand my clearly outlined initial point then I will bow out. 

I can understand it, it's just absolute fantasy.

Apart from in your own mind I guess. 

37 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

When has being a Derby fan been anything other than hard work?

For me, living in Cornwall makes it difficult to go every week but if I was able to go and watch every week, I don’t think that would change my perspective.

Football is a results driven sport. Performances are secondary and don’t always count for a whole lot. Look at our sides in 04-05 and 13-14. They had some great performances and played some fantastic football but ultimately fell short when it mattered. We can’t really afford to have that glorious failure this season.

I think the team has shown character in recent weeks and months - v Oxford, v Burton, v Cheltenham, v Fleetwood - to bounce back from setbacks and bounce back from poor results, which shows that perhaps we might have more about us this year when it comes to the crunch. Perhaps we won’t capitulate as greatly as we did last season.

I also think that some people expect too much from a group of players that are of League 1 quality. How many teams go up from this league playing wonderful football week in, week out? More often than not, it’s a grind.

I know how much I enjoyed the 13/14 season and how much I enjoyed last season.

No comparison.

Your comment about watching regular games wouldn't affect your perspective is illuminating but not surprising.

Pleased with the win and the 3 points... and that is where the positivity ends. The performance levels make me worried for top 2 aspirations, we are winning as we've got better players than the opposition man-for-man and that is the extent of it. Not because we're playing well, some great training moves are paying off on matchday or have strong tactical decisions being employed. We saw this can be unsustainable last season when we blew a gasket in the latter third of the season  and the poor performances ultimately translated into poor results, I really hope it doesn't repeat itself. 

On the flipside this is perhaps a feature of Warneball (even when its successful) that we as a fanbase are just not much used to watching our Derby teams play like i.e. headless chickens, no central midfield even required, running around a lot, pitching it into the box at every opportunity and scrapping out wins. Does Warneball ever look convincing...I don't know? I never watched his Rotherham sides promotion seasons, but I suspect it wasn't pretty, no matter how effective. For that reason as long as we remain in the hunt, even if its the hard way via the playoffs, I am backing Warne as his record suggests he is more than qualified to do the job. I will admit though I wouldn't fancy him as a Championship manager for us even after a promotion (though I'd concede he'd deserve his chance in such case), I may be wrong but I haven't seen anything to suggest he/we could play another way and I'd rather us not play like this in a league that can at least attempt to have some decent football played in it (at times!). 

1 minute ago, sage said:

I know how much I enjoyed the 13/14 season and how much I enjoyed last season.

No comparison.

Your comment about watching regular games wouldn't affect your perspective is illuminating but not surprising.

You’ve had a downer on this manager ever since he walked through the door.

That’s why it’s been hard work for you.

Even through good spells of results and good performances, the praise is not exactly forthcoming or through gritted teeth.

I’ve watched a good number of games over recent weeks, even travelling all the way from Cornwall to watch us v Lincoln, and all this criticism seems way overblown in the circumstances.

18 minutes ago, Andicis said:

There has been a recent pattern of poor performance while still getting the results, which is attributable to our squad and the talent within….I personally don’t think we can ignore missing the players we are as at least partial mitigation for that situation though.

Many are keen to distill it down to Warne and only Warne, whereas I think it’s a combination of Warne, his tactics, injuries, fatigue, mentality and various gypsy curses.
I’m hopeful we get one or two more in by the end of the window and then get some of the injured players back to give the squad and Warne the best chance of getting us promoted even if he doesn’t know how to use a midfield or when to make substitutions, as realistically I can’t see him going anywhere for the moment. 

51 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

When has being a Derby fan been anything other than hard work?

For me, living in Cornwall makes it difficult to go every week but if I was able to go and watch every week, I don’t think that would change my perspective.

Football is a results driven sport. Performances are secondary and don’t always count for a whole lot. Look at our sides in 04-05 and 13-14. They had some great performances and played some fantastic football but ultimately fell short when it mattered. We can’t really afford to have that glorious failure this season.

I think the team has shown character in recent weeks and months - v Oxford, v Burton, v Cheltenham, v Fleetwood - to bounce back from setbacks and bounce back from poor results, which shows that perhaps we might have more about us this year when it comes to the crunch. Perhaps we won’t capitulate as greatly as we did last season.

I also think that some people expect too much from a group of players that are of League 1 quality. How many teams go up from this league playing wonderful football week in, week out? More often than not, it’s a grind.

Which part of Cornwall? I grew up in St Austell 😊

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

We could play well and still miss out on automatic promotion. We could play well and still come unstuck in the play offs.

It’s a fickle game, we all know that.

But: the better we play, the more chance we have of promotion. And at the moment we’re not getting any better.