Dajaune Brown - loan to Gateshead until end of season

Dartmouth Ram

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I wish I shared your confidence that he'll be around the first team. I expect Warne will be keen to loan him out to League Two. I think that's the development path Warne has talked about before.

I can't say I'm THAT confident either to be honest, it just seems a very plausible outcome. Also one that allows additional funding in other areas using the cash saved on another expensive striker option. That said, and forgive me if I'm wrong, I don't think Warne has said anything about his plans for Dajaune next season as yet. I doubt even he knows yet.

Pre-season is the best and most informative means to evaluate whether a young 'un is ready to step up and there'll surely be no pre-destined development path until they've had an opportunity to assess his progress first-hand. Taking a positive spin, we shall be seeing a very different DCFC side taking the pitch in pre-season, after our first restriction free window in years. Seeing with our own eyes whether DB of any other young 'un shines is only one of the many prospects to savour. 

Edited by Comrade 86

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

We will have to sign a lot of strikers to pass up on giving Brown chances. Nine subs in the Championship opens the door and you can do a lot worse than a young striker with a ton of pace & strength. 

I've not followed the Championship so didn't know this rule. From 7 to 9 does favour teams with bigger squads, and is a new challenge for the manager. Hopefully it opens a clearer route for more academy players to show what they can do. 

Twenty players on the teamsheet!

Chesterfield fans reckon he's going to join them on loan for next season. I'm not so sure as I recall Warne talking about a team 'at the top of the national league' who weren't convincing at all when they tried to take him on loan last year. 

Then again it has been very amusing reading who they think their club are signing this summer with Sam Morsy (just gone up with Ipswich), Liam Cooper (Leeds captain) and Nathan Byrne the 'most' likely according to them.

If shenanigans hadn't have scuppered Gatesheads drive to get into L2, then if they'd have gone up it may have been good for him to stay (settled, confident etc.) But as it stands I think a team looking to win more than they lose and get into the top 7 in L2 next year would be a good and challenging move until Jan and then evaluate.

But, only if he comes back and needs a bit of development. It may be that after his successful season, he goes off for summer and comes back to an aging squad, fitter, stronger, hungry, and more confident than ever and then proceeds to tear up preseason with us! We have seen exponential development like that before.

On 06/05/2024 at 18:54, Chesterfield_Ram said:

Chesterfield fans reckon he's going to join them on loan for next season. I'm not so sure as I recall Warne talking about a team 'at the top of the national league' who weren't convincing at all when they tried to take him on loan last year. 

Then again it has been very amusing reading who they think their club are signing this summer with Sam Morsy (just gone up with Ipswich), Liam Cooper (Leeds captain) and Nathan Byrne the 'most' likely according to them.

Chesterfield have signed Paddy Madden n a free from Stockport so no chance we would loan him there to be behind him and Grigg. 

I dont think he will be ready to step up to the Championship yet, he would likely be 4th or 5th choice forward so makes sense to send him out on loan again, either until Jan or on a season loan with a recall clause in Jan. That way if he does go out on loan & smashes it we can bring him back

6 hours ago, ollycutts1982 said:

Chesterfield have signed Paddy Madden n a free from Stockport so no chance we would loan him there to be behind him and Grigg. 

My thoughts exactly, but they're still expecting Brown to be signed as well.

The only problem is that we won't loan him to them. I remember Warne and Hale mentioning a team 'at the top of the national league' wanting him in January and being less than impressive with the clubs reasons for wanting him.

I think loan him out to a league one club (where its more physical) and access where he is in January. The rumour that we're looking at clarke harris. i think jch , gayle , collins will be a very good strike force for the champ. I'd sell or get rid of  waghorn and washington 

A loan to a top L2 club would be better than a lower L1 club. We know how some teams set up against the “bigger” teams in the league. If he’s loaned out it needs to be somewhere that he will score plenty of goals to carry his confidence and development forwards.

I don’t see why we couldn’t use him in a way that Luton have used someone like Joe Taylor. He went to a decent L2 side, scored goals, went to a decent L1 side for the second half of the season and scored even more. He probably wouldn’t have got the Lincoln move without the first half of the season at Colchester (not one of the better teams I know). He’s arguably ready for their first team now back in the Championship next season.

MK Dons have used Max Dean well this season, his loan is up so there would be a spot to fill for Brown. I think somewhere like that would really suit him.

Edited by Kernow