Finance

angieram

On 02/06/2024 at 05:35, Crewton said:

I agree it's a minority, but I didn't want to pick out individuals. I understand fans' desire for us not to be left behind, but I find the eagerness to become yet another club snapped up by US owners a bit sad. When we were in trouble and going under, the best America could do was Kirschner. GSE were responsible owners, but having dealt with Americans in business, I'm not a fan.

Speaking as an American, I find your comments about my fellow countrymen both offensive and grossly inaccurate, I would imagine your only dealings with Americans were buying a pint of Bud Light and scoffing a Big Mac

20 minutes ago, Gringo said:

Speaking as an American, I find your comments about my fellow countrymen both offensive and grossly inaccurate, I would imagine your only dealings with Americans were buying a pint of Bud Light and scoffing a Big Mac

Does anyone drink Bud Light after the Mulvaney shambles ?

On 02/06/2024 at 11:35, Crewton said:

I agree it's a minority, but I didn't want to pick out individuals. I understand fans' desire for us not to be left behind, but I find the eagerness to become yet another club snapped up by US owners a bit sad. When we were in trouble and going under, the best America could do was Kirschner. GSE were responsible owners, but having dealt with Americans in business, I'm not a fan.

Yes I had experience with a group of so called venture capitalists from the US, dreadful attitude to the workforce and totally disregarding of uk employment law. Basically a bunch of gung-ho mavericks in for a quick buck and after cocking everything up, couldn't get out quick enough leaving a trail of bad debt. Unfortunately any change of football club ownership comes with enormous risks, and for now I hope we can have a long period of stability without having to experience the likes of Kirchner, the Fake Sheikh, Alonso, Ashley etc etc, 

43 minutes ago, europia said:

Yes I had experience with a group of so called venture capitalists from the US, dreadful attitude to the workforce and totally disregarding of uk employment law. Basically a bunch of gung-ho mavericks in for a quick buck and after cocking everything up, couldn't get out quick enough leaving a trail of bad debt. Unfortunately any change of football club ownership comes with enormous risks, and for now I hope we can have a long period of stability without having to experience the likes of Kirchner, the Fake Sheikh, Alonso, Ashley etc etc, 

I have worked for 2 uk venture capitalists an can assure you that your comments about your experiences apply equally to their Uk imitators, Marx got it wrong he should have said venture capitalism is theft

On 01/06/2024 at 08:41, G STAR RAM said:

Not sure I understand your logic here.

Now would be the perfect time for someone to invest as they are investing in the potential of our club.

Clowes may be taking a hit but would also be protecting his fortune from losses that any Championship club needs to make to get promoted from this division. 

If anything, now, or even last year, is the perfect time for attracting external investment.

I agree with this as long as the potential investor is doing it in a way that the club's long term future can be secure.

I imagine it would be fairly cheap to buy into the club at the moment with us just getting back into the championship and not being a solid championship side yet. However, it could potentially attract investors who want to make some easy money expecting us to perform like we did before all the financial problems took over, without investing too much.

Clowes would benefit from sharing the 'hit' that owners take from competing in the championship, but I'd hope he would find someone that he completely trusts.

Talking of investment I see that Watford have today put 10% of their shares up for sale to raise £17.5m; ergo the club is valued at £175m.  That is for a Championship club with no more parachute payments and making losses (before playing trading) of over £20m per season.

Makes you wonder what DCFC is now worth?

Just now, StarterForTen said:

Talking of investment I see that Watford have today put 10% of their shares up for sale to raise £17.5m; ergo the club is valued at £175m.  That is for a Championship club with no more parachute payments and making losses (before playing trading) of over £20m per season.

Makes you wonder what DCFC is now worth?

That seems very high unless your buying part of the footballing group that owns it and it would include shares of 10% in their other club investments.  If it's just Watford they ain't getting it, unless it's some inhouse redistribution of shares to someone already lined up to offset debt.  Derby are the only team who look for shortcuts of course, so that can't be true.

The old adage still applies for all but the big 5 or 6: How to make a small fortune. Start with a large one and buy/invest in a football club.

A Swedish group has bought Burton Albion. What do they get out of it? Unless losses are tax deductible what does any outside investor hope to gain? DC did it for love and the same for Robinson at Burton. These people are as rare as the Dodo these days.

Sky are saying “ Due to the Man City court case the £900 mill deal with the EFL is in doubt”. Other Prem teams are worried about giving handouts to EFL teams in case they need money to compensate for Man C claims . Will this affect our budget for next season ?

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

Sky are saying “ Due to the Man City court case the £900 mill deal with the EFL is in doubt”. Other Prem teams are worried about giving handouts to EFL teams in case they need money to compensate for Man C claims . Will this affect our budget for next season ?

I doubt it would've even been factored into next season's budgets to be honest. 

It's not as though this is even a surprise, either. Man City were always going to challenge the charges based on the ambiguity on the majority, if not all, of them. The Premier League have made a rod for their own back and between the two - Man City, I suspect, are better equipped to fend off the challenges. 

I equally suspect that if Mel had fought the amortisation charges that he would've won out - unless rules are clearly stated in black and white then you inevitably leave the door open and providing it's not an illegal accounting method then it's very difficult to sanction anyone. It sounds as though this is very much the case in City, albeit in a different way. The 'fair market value' line regarding sponsorship was always going to be tested. How on earth can the Premier League prove beyond doubt that the sponsorship deals paid to by City were above 'fair market value' when I suspect they just mirrored the going-rates at other top clubs around the world and possibly other sports. 

I could be wrong, but I struggle to see how this ends up achieving anything other than a very minor performance related charge 4-6 points and potentially a fine. 

6 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I doubt it would've even been factored into next season's budgets to be honest. 

It's not as though this is even a surprise, either. Man City were always going to challenge the charges based on the ambiguity on the majority, if not all, of them. The Premier League have made a rod for their own back and between the two - Man City, I suspect, are better equipped to fend off the challenges. 

I equally suspect that if Mel had fought the amortisation charges that he would've won out - unless rules are clearly stated in black and white then you inevitably leave the door open and providing it's not an illegal accounting method then it's very difficult to sanction anyone. It sounds as though this is very much the case in City, albeit in a different way. The 'fair market value' line regarding sponsorship was always going to be tested. How on earth can the Premier League prove beyond doubt that the sponsorship deals paid to by City were above 'fair market value' when I suspect they just mirrored the going-rates at other top clubs around the world and possibly other sports. 

I could be wrong, but I struggle to see how this ends up achieving anything other than a very minor performance related charge 4-6 points and potentially a fine. 

I agree entirely. The EFL will probably find a way to dock us a few points and a couple of hundred grand fine for Man City's misdemeanours.

Hopefully DC has factored in the distinct possibility of less/no money filtered down from the Premiership clubs for next season. This Man. City debacle will rumble on and on. Today apparently all the Premiership clubs are meeting at Harrogate according to sky to discuss matters. This could be a watershed for not only the Premiership but for the other clubs throughout the EFL. Rocky times ahead. Hopefully we can ride above anything that's thrown at us. Overall  I am so glad that DC is at the helm rather than MM. 

Do other people  think that DC may be tempted  to give it at least one season, and if the unbelievable  were to happen,  ie promotion  again.  Then everybody  would be very well set

8 minutes ago, Rammiesdad said:

Do other people  think that DC may be tempted  to give it at least one season, and if the unbelievable  were to happen,  ie promotion  again.  Then everybody  would be very well set

Warne says it’s possible to make the Prem in 3 years and we are not going to be “Also ran’s “ next season . With quality players coming in , looks like we are going for it . If we do make the big step up , will we be worried about the tiddlers in the EFL ?