Lincoln v Derby match day thread.

Boycie

32 minutes ago, Mick Brolly said:

Portsmouth obviously not good enough either then they lost at Cheltenham 

Portsmouth yep remember playing against them. And Posh for that matter.

I would hate to get into the play offs and end up with another one of the performances like today.

32 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

Must have been an enthralling post match interview today. Anything worth repeating?

Caught it on radio Derby, but have cooked, eaten and watched some of Gladiators since then so maybe don’t remember it all clearly.

So from memory I’d say Warne sounded fairly positive in his demeanour, praised them (Lincoln) and their efforts, said the ref could have sent Wilson off, praised Vickers, observed we weren’t quite at it and a point away is alright, commented at one point about shouting at Bird and Hourihane for leaving the middle of the park which meant we were wide open, then said some bits about recruitment ongoing that he has been backed and offers are in for players but stopped short of confirming anything about Blackett-Taylor. After listening to it I thought it was a fair summary of the game. 

1 hour ago, Topram said:

It came across negative you see other post I back Warne and try not to be negative but that just shouted to me we haven’t enough atm, we will strengthen I know we will just at that performance and others we’ve had we aren’t top 2 material atm

Just wondered what it was had brought you to that conclusion, I recognise it’s all a matter of opinions so wanted to know a bit more behind your thinking.
Personally I think it’s too soon to be writing off top 2, Bolton dropped points today, Portsmouth have had a rotten run lately despite their win today, until it’s mathematically impossible I’ll keep thinking it’s on. 

Thank goodness most League One teams aren't good enough! If Lincoln had got a striker who could hit the target they'd have had us for toast today. And largely because of our under-use of midfield. We are obviously doing something right in order to be challenging for the automatic places. I said earlier that we ought to be capable of beating teams like Lincoln, no matter how well organised they may be, and there have been a umber of matches with the same situation. The old adage about not playing well but still picking up points being the mark of a good team, but we seem to be dependant on picking up points regardless, rather than having an occasional off-day. 

We had the upper hand for large parts of the match, yet our undoing was the lack of midfield threat, and a midfield that is so easy to go sailing straight through the middle of. The frustration the fans had in the period leading up to  the "Warne Out" episode was largely because the team is capable of so much more. So although we are up at the top of the table I think on merit, I think we should already well set in the automatic places. But this remaining emphasis on getting the ball out wide and crossing it, despite the shift to a bit more football is filing to make the best of what we have available. All the opposition have to do is concentrate on snuffing out the threat  own the wings, or simply heading the crosses out because we simply don't have a "League One Alan Hinton". If a tam can do that, then we struggle. They don't even have to park the proverbial bus anymore.

We played some good football today, and our pressing when we didn't have the ball was excellent. Apart from Elder still being a but rusty I don't think anyone was poor today, but Lincoln had done their research on our sole approach to match play and snuffed our threats out, as well as exploiting how we set the midfield up. Oh, and in case you thought I had forgotten that there is such a thing as a ref - well he didn't do us any favours. He might have sent Wilson off, but it would have been an injustice, although that doesn't usually stop the refs doing it, and turning the penalty down, after first giving it, didn't do us a favour either because it wasn't a penalty - not even close. Although that hasn't stopped them being given in the past, either! But there weren't any game changing decisions he got wrong, either. So not tooooo bad, I suppose!

I don't see our approach to how we play changing any time soon, so all we can do as fans is stay behind the team and give them everything we have got.

Edited by DavesaRam

1 minute ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Just wondered what it was had brought you to that conclusion, I recognise it’s all a matter of opinions so wanted to know a bit more behind your thinking.
Personally I think it’s too soon to be writing off top 2, Bolton dropped points today, Portsmouth have had a rotten run lately despite their win today, until it’s mathematically impossible I’ll keep thinking it’s on. 

First 15 we battered them had 2/3 chances then let them in like we have a lot this season at half time we should/could of been 2-0 down to a better side we would have been, I’ll back warne to the hills like I have but would say we’ve been fortunate lately, we are definitely missing 2/3 players 

2 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

We have a chance. Might rest on how we do away at Pompey and Baaarnsley and home to Bolton 😊

31 minutes ago, silverback said:

I want to see how Pboro fare against them next week before commenting too much

A draw seems a decent return today. Would have taken it before kick off. Tricky place to come 

They haven't won at home since October. 

Imagine this forum if that was our form.

3 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Thank goodness most League One teams aren't good enough! If Lincoln had got a striker who could hit the target they'd have had us for toast today. And largely because of our under-use of midfield. We are obviously doing something right in order to be challenging for the automatic places. I said earlier that we ought to be capable of beating teams like Lincoln, no matter how well organised they may be, and there have been a umber of matches with the same situation. The old adage about not playing well but still picking up points being the mark of a good team, but we seem to be dependant on picking up points regardless, rather than having an occasional off-day. 

We had the upper hand for large parts of the match, yet our undoing was the lack of midfield threat, and a midfield that is so easy to go sailing straight through the middle of. The frustration the fans had in the period leading up to  the "Warne Out" episode was largely because the team is capable of so much more. So although we are up at the top of the table I think on merit, I think we should already well set in the automatic places. But this remaining emphasis on getting the ball out wide and crossing it, despite the shift to a bit more football is filing to make the best of what we have available. All the opposition have to do is concentrate on snuffing out the threat  own the wings, or simply heading the crosses out because we simply don't have a "League One Alan Hinton". If a tam can do that, then we struggle. They don't even have to park the proverbial bus anymore.

We played some good football today, and our pressing when we didn't have the ball was excellent. Apart from Elder still being a but rusty I don't think anyone was poor today, but Lincoln had done their research on our sole approach to match play and snuffed our threats out, as well as exploiting how we set the midfield up. 

I don't see our approach to how we play changing any time soon, so all we can do as fans is stay behind the team and give them everything we have got.

It’s difficult to back up with stats but does a Bird/Conor midfield actually work? I personally think we need a new central midfielder with some pace and energy to support them. A better, more dynamic and stronger Thommo basically.

3 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Looks like a point gained. Who is their blonde striker, looks pacy and a handful 😊

He looked ok with ball at feet, but he shat the bed every time he wriggled free. Reminds me of Alfie May minus the goals.

Funny thing is, if he were Derby, he'd be getting a fearful kicking on here tonight. MagicFlan, for one, would be having kittens 😱 

1 hour ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

Mick if you had played in a game of that proformance would you have been happy?  There professionals and didnt turn up so ....

Was it really as bad as you’re making out?
If the players did not turn up as you suggested then we’d have lost, we drew away from home, it’s not the end of the world.
We had more possession (66% versus their 34%), passed more and with greater accuracy (520 at 78% versus their 278 at 64%), more shots (19 shots versus their 10)….and maybe this is where they get some credit as they had 4 on target when we only had 3, they had and missed 2 big chances when we allegedly had none (I’d argue Nelson’s header at their keeper was a big chance)….but then we also had 7 blocked shots.

From watching the game and reviewing those stats I’m very much of the opinion we did turn up, but a combination of not reaching our better levels, them defending resolutely, and a little bit of luck in how was wasteful they were means accepting an underwhelming 0-0 draw and we move on. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

3 hours ago, caymanram said:

Exactly….. we are just too predictable - opposition teams know that if they can cut off the balls down the line after we push it out wide (every time it seems) then we have no Plan B to create and come through the middle…

‘Cutting off balls’ and ‘coming through the middle’….. had to make sure I was catching up on the match for a moment 

Jimmy Carr Reaction GIF by The QI Elves

1 hour ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

We created 0 clear cut chances, they had 5 or 6. People talk about corners we had 3 in the first 3 minutes and 2 came from poor delieveries. Also its ifs and buts, the buts did happen and we are not 3 points clear any team could say if and buts 

0 clearcut chances? 

Nelson header where he should have scored.

Bird should have hit the target from Barks Cross.

NML when he burst through and just couldn't quite finish.

How were they any less than theirs from Taylor?