Max Bird - stay or go?

dcfcjj

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6zK7RmiUcn/?igsh=MWh4Z2Vxb3Q2OXhuZw==

The above is a link to Max Bird’s Instagram and a lovely reel he’s shared earlier this evening 😢 👏 

No matter how you slice it, losing Max is horrible. Watching the video actually makes me feel a bit sick. I've been in denial mode for a while now, made easier by the fact he was immediately loaned back. Easy to pretend he wasn't gone, but he is and it makes me very sad. I know we'd likely not have secured an auto-slot without the cash he brought in and maybe I'll be more grown up about it in time, but of all pain the fan base suffered in recent times, somehow this knife cuts the deepest. Childish as it is, I'm now sat here wandering whether he'd come back at the end of his current deal?

As it is, thanks for some wonderful memories, Max. Best of luck lad and don't be a stranger, eh! 😔

47 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

No matter how you slice it, losing Max is horrible. Watching the video actually makes me feel a bit sick. I've been in denial mode for a while now, made easier by the fact he was immediately loaned back. Easy to pretend he wasn't gone, but he is and it makes me very sad. I know we'd likely not have secured an auto-slot without the cash he brought in and maybe I'll be more grown up about it in time, but of all pain the fan base suffered in recent times, somehow this knife cuts the deepest.

It’s just another sadly irritating moment when one of our own, moves on because we as a club didn’t reach an higher level.  

That team PL2 team was very special and even the years following had promise, but slowly our academy talent has drained away; at least we saw Max grow and develop, similar to Will. Still painful to see him move on.

2 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

The above is a link to Max Bird’s Instagram and a lovely reel he’s shared earlier this evening 😢 👏 

That just makes me really really sad. I hope he is still happy with his decision and has no regrets and I guess we'll never know if him going meant we had enough to loan Ebou and pay for Gayle to fill that gap at a key time. Problem is we'll never be able to afford to sign him back

6 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

That just makes me really really sad. I hope he is still happy with his decision and has no regrets and I guess we'll never know if him going meant we had enough to loan Ebou and pay for Gayle to fill that gap at a key time. Problem is we'll never be able to afford to sign him back

In 2 years time we'll have him and Hughes sat in front of the defence directing our promotion charge.

1 hour ago, Zag zig said:

It’s just another sadly irritating moment when one of our own, moves on because we as a club didn’t reach an higher level.  

That team PL2 team was very special and even the years following had promise, but slowly our academy talent has drained away; at least we saw Max grow and develop, similar to Will. Still painful to see him move on.

I think that would fair if he was off to a top end championship parachute club or lower level prem club.  He's gone to Bristol City, the 13th placed championship club till the end of time.  He clearly wanted a move regardless of situation as that move makes no sense at all. 

Will always have a soft spot for Bird played 200 games and scored a goal to take us up, thanks for the effort and the memory's, but we now move on, Derby to finish above Bristol City and to do the double over them, thats football, Derby is my club for life. Players come and go, but the fans are there for life. Once A Ram Always A Ram. 

Going to miss him obviously but it's such a bizarre career move. He's either gone to earn a significantly higher wage or he just really needed a change of scenery.

Either way, it's not inconceivable that we finish above Bristol City next season.

He went because we needed him to go..so that we had wiggle room for Adams and Gayle...the clause to loan back was clever..and it all worked out.

We wouldn't have gone up without it!

I do wonder if Bird, like Knight before him, both have a tinge of regret..i certainly do.

7 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

No matter how you slice it, losing Max is horrible. Watching the video actually makes me feel a bit sick. I've been in denial mode for a while now, made easier by the fact he was immediately loaned back. Easy to pretend he wasn't gone, but he is and it makes me very sad. I know we'd likely not have secured an auto-slot without the cash he brought in and maybe I'll be more grown up about it in time, but of all pain the fan base suffered in recent times, somehow this knife cuts the deepest. Childish as it is, I'm now sat here wandering whether he'd come back at the end of his current deal?

As it is, thanks for some wonderful memories, Max. Best of luck lad and don't be a stranger, eh! 😔

This sums up my thoughts.  

...Apart from the wandering, as I'm just sat at the kitchen table.  😉

6 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I think that would fair if he was off to a top end championship parachute club or lower level prem club.  He's gone to Bristol City, the 13th placed championship club till the end of time.  He clearly wanted a move regardless of situation as that move makes no sense at all. 

That’s where I am at with it. He clearly wanted new scenery. Obviously, at the time we weren’t up, but now we are, there’s a world we could finish above them this season. 

I think a move for Max, is good for him. However,  I do think Bristol is not necessarily an upward move. He should fit into their team very well, but hopefully this is a spring board to bigger and better things for him. 

10 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

That’s brilliant and a nice touch.  It’s also very sad 😢.

Now all we need him to do is go Bristol City and play like he’s never seen a football before.  Then we can bring him home at a knockdown price 😉.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, sage said:

He may well have gone for a different style of football. 

Puts tin hat on.

Give it 6 months and this will be claimed to be a fact 😏

Edited by Returning ram
Spelling

Always bugged me that some people couldn’t see what he brought to the side because the goals and assists numbers weren’t the same as others. 
It was clear watching football matches that he was our most impressive midfielder and had been for some time. He just needed someone next to him to complement him and although they both played important roles at points this season I don’t think Hourihane or Smith were that complement. 

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, sage said:

Puts tin hat on.

He may well have gone for the cheap rent. 
I hear the Popodopolopodoos have had a loft conversion done, and Mrs P has been advised by her... erm... "Financial Advisor"... to maximise her rental income.

Puts full-face visor on.

Edited by Mucker1884

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, sage said:

Puts tin hat on.

No doubt there’ll be people who think that, and it’ll fit a certain narrative, may even be true….only Bird will know for sure what his reasons are. 

However given how keen you are for open dialogue around opposing views I would say Warne had moved to make Bird central to everything we did this season, played him in a more advanced role and looked at times for us to play through him, spent time coaching him around his finishing which looks to have been successful, and if you watch the footage of all our goals back this season there was plenty of football played in the build up to a number of them. So what that “different style” of football is, I’m not sure, possession based? Is that how Bristol City play? Can you guarantee a style of football at a club where the manager could change on the back of a poor run of results?

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

16 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

No doubt there’ll be people who think that, and it’ll fit a certain narrative, may even be true….only Bird will know for sure what his reasons are. 

However given how keen you are for open dialogue around opposing views I would say Warne had moved to make Bird central to everything we did this season, played him in a more advanced role and looked at times for us to play through him, spent time coaching him around his finishing which looks to have been successful, and if you watch the footage of all our goals back this season there was plenty of football played in the build up to a number of them. So what that “different style” of football is, I’m not sure, possession based? Is that how Bristol City play? Can you guarantee a style of football at a club where the manager could change on the back of a poor run of results?

He did praise Bird. You are quite right to point that out. In another post i used that information to give hope of a more aesthetically pleasing style of play nect year. A different style of football could indeed be more possession based, playing more through midfield, running less. Just floating a possibility.

It seems such an average club to go to. He would have been on a decent contract so not exactly doubled his money.

You will note I'm happy to discuss your views, though I can see already I'm getting stick for merely as I said 'floating a possibility'. A possibility I've heard from many others.