Derby v Peterborough

B4’s Sister

33 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Apparently he swore on air during the Dom Dietrich post match interview. In response to a question about the subs and hindsight, didn’t hear it, but not swearing “at” Dietrich but as part of his conversation with him. 

If my memory is correct Dom asked him, if with hindsight he should have rotated some players. He said if he was a manager with active hindsight he’d be in the “ducking” champions league. It was casual, quiet and without rancour, just a slip of the tongue into everyday vernacular. Just a “well maybe” but it easy to say after the event. 

Problem with bird is I don’t know what his best position actually is. He’s not a goal scoring midfielder I don’t see him as box to box. Link up is okay on occasion not a dm too lightweight and when back there tends to go sideways and backwards. If we get a million for him I’d snap it up and spend it in other areas. 

Just now, jono said:

If my memory is correct Dom asked him, if with hindsight he should have rotated some players. He said if he was a manager with active hindsight he’d be in the “ducking” champions league. It was casual, quiet and without rancour, just a slip of the tongue into everyday vernacular. Just a “well maybe” but it easy to say after the event. 

I didn't even clock him swearing that's how casual it was in the answer 

51 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I try not to slate the officials, but I agree. I think John-Jules was fouled a few times and got nothing, there was a wrestling match near the touchline that their cb started with Collins but somehow they got the foul, a TJJ shot deflected for a corner that all our players seemed adamant about and the ref gave a goal kick.

Not taking anything away from Peterborough, they’re a good side with pace and power who kept going and punished our fatigue, just don’t think the officiating was balanced and consistent either. 

It’s been a real trend in the last few games - I’ve said before that I regarded the ref against Oxford as downright biased. Look at all of our bookings as well and the few against our opposition..

They say the small clubs often get the rub of the green against the ‘bigger’ ones…seems so…

21 minutes ago, jono said:

With better officiating we might have got a point but that doesn’t detract from Peterborough who were easily the best footballing side to visit us this season. Some great interplay on the right flank throughout the game, they worked in groups with skill and eager athleticism. I was also impressed by their lack of gamesmanship. Both teams stood up most of the time and played like men. If I wasn’t a Ram that would have been a great advert for football. Effort, pace and skill from both sides. Our older legs exposed our weaknesses but not for want of effort or desire. Warne was right to introduce younger legs at HT he saw what we all saw but it wasn’t quite enough. Yes there were some defensive errors but in many ways it was more Peterborough’s attacking flair than any gross errors or lack of ability on our part.

Have to take this on the chin. We are in a strong 4th place with half the season to play. It’s no disaster. All the players can hold their heads high in my opinion.

My choices for our standouts.

Cash, excellent again but he was up against some serious pace and got stretched and forced in to errors more than once, but his ability to simply do old fashioned well timed clear tackles is top drawer

Wilson was exceptional , his strength, speed and tenacity to keep or win the ball 1 V 1 was exemplary. He worked his man time and time again and came out on top in duals with ease. He’s growing in stature and in reading the game. 

Collins. For a man of his age to run like he did, score 2 goals and on occasions reveal deft one touch lay offs, he deserves an MOTM. He isn’t a deadly rapier of a striker that we all dream of but he is a consistent trooper with skills that aren’t always recognised. Half way point in season and 10 league goals ? Not bad you know. 

Couple of things I didn’t see live . After watching the highlights, the player that handled got a shove in the back . Cashin made two bad headers for the winning goal. His lack of height is a problem when he can’t make a running leap . Didn’t add anything to his price tag . He should take the new contract on offer.

1 hour ago, Justa said:

I normally agree with much of what you say but I can’t today - were we really well matched? I mean don’t get me wrong it was a cracking game but I don’t think we matched them for pace, energy and movement despite the fact we worked very hard.

Their no 14 was absolute quality 😞

Granted I missed the first 15 minutes due to streaming issues, but from what I saw, it was a good contest.

We all know midfield can be a problem area and Bird and Hourihane are not the long term answer but at the moment, they are our most reliable options. Naturally they cannot match such a midfield for pace, energy and intensity.

NML and Wilson provided our pace, trickery and movement. The problem was that they couldn’t play for 90 minutes and their replacements were not as effective.

I am not saying Peterborough weren’t good, but in my view, it was a tight game decided on mistakes.

Look at two of the three goals conceded. One from a short corner that Cashin and Nelson would ordinarily deal with 9 times out of 10. Similarly, with the winner, a situation that one of Wildsmith, Cashin or Nelson deals with. Maybe a cameo from Bradley was missed.

I don’t feel like Peterborough blew us away. They kept the ball well and played in the right way. They had spells on top, but so did we.

46 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Apparently he swore on air during the Dom Dietrich post match interview. In response to a question about the subs and hindsight, didn’t hear it, but not swearing “at” Dietrich but as part of his conversation with him. 

It was very casual and no nastiness or terseness and seemed to be a silent "f" - very norfolk

59 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Was surprised Sibley came on when he did.  Would rather have seen Ward at that stage. Or Fornah, wherever he is. Less said about their second goal the better … 

Agree totally 

with their athleticism causing us problems we brought on sibley who has as much athleticism as half of us… be honest thought it was a game made for fornah … or certainly im of the opinion he would have given us a better chance of matching them in that respect 

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

Granted I missed the first 15 minutes due to streaming issues, but from what I saw, it was a good contest.

We all know midfield can be a problem area and Bird and Hourihane are not the long term answer but at the moment, they are our most reliable options. Naturally they cannot match such a midfield for pace, energy and intensity.

NML and Wilson provided our pace, trickery and movement. The problem was that they couldn’t play for 90 minutes and their replacements were not as effective.

I am not saying Peterborough weren’t good, but in my view, it was a tight game decided on mistakes.

Look at two of the three goals conceded. One from a short corner that Cashin and Nelson would ordinarily deal with 9 times out of 10. Similarly, with the winner, a situation that one of Wildsmith, Cashin or Nelson deals with. Maybe a cameo from Bradley was missed.

I don’t feel like Peterborough blew us away. They kept the ball well and played in the right way. They had spells on top, but so did we.

Sorry thought was bad day at office for NML - just woke up when came off

14 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

Problem with bird is I don’t know what his best position actually is. He’s not a goal scoring midfielder I don’t see him as box to box. Link up is okay on occasion not a dm too lightweight and when back there tends to go sideways and backwards. If we get a million for him I’d snap it up and spend it in other areas. 

A central midfielder is a central midfielder. All the talk about bird is for the last 2 years is he’s not effective because of the system, he’s playing too deep, he’s playing too further forward, who he’s playing with?

maybe he’s just not that good 

It will be interesting how that Posh squad looks like by the end of this month with the amount of interest in their players. Today could have been points dropped against a side that could fall by the wayside from February onwards. Either way we were beaten by the better team. Let's get on another win streak on Saturday!

3 minutes ago, Kinder said:

Agreed. He looked tired to me and had his quietest game for a while. Understandable with the number of minutes he’s played recently.

Yep and a few around me actually thought Barks was unlucky to be subbed at half time, as he did more than NML because he looked fatigued.

No scapegoating, he was just a bit flat battery today.

Game was made for Sibley, they make the game so open that he should have been in his element, unfortunately he disappointed in influencing the game. Thought Thompson did well and agree with above post that mistakes decided the outcome and there wasn't much between the sides.

3 minutes ago, eddielewis said:

It will be interesting how that Posh squad looks like by the end of this month with the amount of interest in their players. Today could have been points dropped against a side that could fall by the wayside from February onwards. Either way we were beaten by the better team. Let's get on another win streak on Saturday!

If we were interested in any of their front 3 or their number 14, that would be good move!

7 minutes ago, Returning ram said:

Game was made for Sibley, they make the game so open that he should have been in his element, unfortunately he disappointed in influencing the game. Thought Thompson did well and agree with above post that mistakes decided the outcome and there wasn't much between the sides.

Thought the polar opposite tbh, as u say they made the game open up cos of their use of the ball, speed and athleticism … the latter two sibley has none of.

he had zero effect on the game as they were too strong and too quick for him. I stand by my initial thoughts

thought fornah would have been a better fit for those reasons tbh  

Poku and Mason Clarke gave us the run around today, but they are also probably the two best players we'll face all season.

Otherwise I thought we looked OK. Definitely leggy and being penalised by not having the rotation options you'd want with an aging forward line (and TJJ being made of glass). Waggy coming on instead of, say, Sibs might have given us a bit more impetus up the pitch.

Elder had his best performance for us and looked very solid defensively, so that's a plus as we can't rely on Fizzy forever sadly.

I think a draw would have been a fair result, but I wasn't too unhappy at a loss here against a team that'll likely be picked apart over the transfer window. It's kinda what Peterborough do.

My dad (a neutral because he was cursed with being a Spurs fan) watched on Sky for the first time in a couple of years and he was adamant that Cashin looked a class above and that Wildsmith commanded the area well. Then both come together for a last minute mess. Ah well.