Crewe Alexandra versus Derby County - Match Day Thread ( FA Cup 1st Round )

S8TY

11 hours ago, On the Ram Page said:

Utter rubbish!

I think @ariotofmyown's joke may have passed you by there fella! Might need to recalibrate your sarcasm detector.

9 hours ago, europia said:

Just lack of quality overall. Crewe started the game poorly, we just let them grow into the game until eventually they looked the team from a higher division. We scraped a draw in the end, is the only positive. 

I've read some steaming hot takes on yesterday's game, but suggesting Crewe looked the better side is the funkiest yet. Did you watch the game on radio Crewe? 

Neither the performance or the result should fuel the Warne out movement (which I’m fully behind). 

But our inability to create any sort of consistency is infuriating. FWIW I imagine we’ll beat Wolves midweek before losing to Barnsley on Saturday which will then see the floods of Warne out comments etc appear on the forum. 

I think ultimately we’re a top 6 squad at best with a manager who’s only extracting 75% of what the squads capable of. 

45 minutes ago, jameso said:

I think Donald (or even Michael) might have run some of our players close in terms of crossing ability - certainly no Gladys among them - but I totally agree about the lack of a striker to convert any crosses, let alone one who would turn a nothing cross into a chance through bravery and determination.

Truth is, if we had a Jordan Rhodes or a Michael Smith, they’d be sitting on double figures for goals and everything would be rosy.

8 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Having reflected on it, today was more irritating than disaster, i wouldn't have been happy if we'd lost 2 nil - it's the lack of creativity in forward areas that just does your head in. They tried. The did what they'd been told to do. But really, just cross-clearance-cross-clearance-defensive f*** up-cross clearance.

You don’t know what they were told to do. You may be right but you don’t know.

7 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Crewe were so deep that they had no out ball, and they applied very little pressure on the defence so there was no need for any long balls, which is partly why Derby dominated the ball so much.

It’s hard to gauge. Derby won’t have another away game like this all season. Crewe weren’t just playing as underdogs, they set up like they were playing a PL side and it resembled an attack vs defence training exercise.

I think we can be disappointed we didn’t make the most of our complete freedom to attack at will. It seemed like the players haven’t been trained well in attacking patterns. All we did was get it out wide and swing crosses in. 

David Moyes adopted a similar approach with Man Utd. They broke the record for number of crosses in a game against Fulham. It was very similar to that. Just constant swinging the ball into the box to no avail.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/manchester-united-break-premier-league-6689087

Incidentally both goals came from passing it rather than just a hopeful lob into the box.

Well you’ve just contradicted yourself if both goals came from passing. We did try to pass through their lines but when you have 10 /11 opponents in the box it isn’t easy. We lacked creativity, yes, but we tried various methods to unlock them.

Got so fed up reading this rubbish that I decided to pop over to last year's Round One thread, where people will recall we drew with a team at the bottom of the National League, for a comparison.

Some things don't change, but we had less possession,  many less shots and were much more rubbish than yesterday.

We scored our two goals there very much against the run of play.

A few days later, we drew (lost on penalties) away at Liverpool and all was well again. That's football. 

36 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Neither the performance or the result should fuel the Warne out movement (which I’m fully behind). 

But our inability to create any sort of consistency is infuriating. FWIW I imagine we’ll beat Wolves midweek before losing to Barnsley on Saturday which will then see the floods of Warne out comments etc appear on the forum. 

I think ultimately we’re a top 6 squad at best with a manager who’s only extracting 75% of what the squads capable of. 

We kept doing the same thing over and over. Play some football, get to the final third play it wide and cross it, normally in the air. Is that the sum total of our tactics. You'd a player on the bench that runs at teams and has the best finishing ability in the club on the bench. We've got hotshot Hourihane who can score from freekicks, when have we had any around the box? We've a young striker on the bench that is probably better in the air than many in the team. We score twice from passing the ball. But still we persist in - whoever gets onto the pitch and we put 5 subs on - get it wide and cross it. Isn't that the performance?

9 hours ago, Sheff Ram said:
3 minutes ago, angieram said:

Got so fed up reading this rubbish that I decided to pop over to last year's Round One thread, where people will recall we drew with a team at the bottom of the National League, for a comparison.

Some things don't change, but we had less possession,  many less shots and were much more rubbish than yesterday.

A few days later, we drew (lost on penalties) away at Liverpool and all was well again. That's football. 

@angieram at least the behaviour of fans was better yesterday. No violence or threats of violence.

Mainly because the chief troublemaker was off ill with a dodgy ankle.

48 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if we fail to beat Wolves U21’s on Wednesday and, despite the insignificance of the game and the maximum number of changes PW will no doubt make, there will still be the usual “PW has to go after this” calls from some.

Let's be right. I've been Warne out due to games with aimless lobs up the wings and through the middle but yesterday, Exeter and Northampton were a million miles from that. Did we have lots of crosses, yes did we try through the middle as well? Absolutely. The criticism from me yesterday was our abject shooting ability. If we had an on form goal scorer we would have won that by a distance. We simply don't seem to have a natural confidence in front of goal from either our forwards or midfield. Strange really. 

11 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

We kept doing the same thing over and over. Play some football, get to the final third play it wide and cross it, normally in the air. Is that the sum total of our tactics. You'd a player on the bench that runs at teams and has the best finishing ability in the club on the bench. We've got hotshot Hourihane who can score from freekicks, when have we had any around the box? We've a young striker on the bench that is probably better in the air than many in the team. We score twice from passing the ball. But still we persist in - whoever gets onto the pitch and we put 5 subs on - get it wide and cross it. Isn't that the performance?

I’m not saying the performance was good but it wasn’t poor (for our standards). 

Brown over Collins, formations etc can  be discussed but I think we’re singing off the same hymn sheet with that. 

Ultimately I want him gone asap but that doesn’t look like it’s going to happen so I can’t be bothered to stress over a cup that we have no chance of winning. 

4 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if we fail to beat Wolves U21’s on Wednesday and, despite the insignificance of the game and the maximum number of changes PW will no doubt make, there will still be the usual “PW has to go after this” calls from some.

I wouldn’t mind taking that risk if it means Brown starting. But no doubt Collins will get the nod she stink the place out. But win or lose, it’s Saturdays match that really matters.

Just now, TomTom92 said:

I wouldn’t mind taking that risk if it means Brown starting. But no doubt Collins will get the nod she stink the place out. But win or lose, it’s Saturdays match that really matters.

Oh I agree on both counts (Brown starting and Saturday’s performance/result being the one that matters). I’m just saying there will no doubt be the usual suspects calling for PW’s head if we don’t win on Wednesday regardless of who he plays.

5 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Oh I agree on both counts (Brown starting and Saturday’s performance/result being the one that matters). I’m just saying there will no doubt be the usual suspects calling for PW’s head if we don’t win on Wednesday regardless of who he plays.

Fans who don't rate Warne's tactical ability, the way he sets the team up to play and the mentality he instills in them, they can't comment on the game if they want to?

13 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Let's be right. I've been Warne out due to games with aimless lobs up the wings and through the middle but yesterday, Exeter and Northampton were a million miles from that. Did we have lots of crosses, yes did we try through the middle as well? Absolutely. The criticism from me yesterday was our abject shooting ability. If we had an on form goal scorer we would have won that by a distance. We simply don't seem to have a natural confidence in front of goal from either our forwards or midfield. Strange really. 

We did have an on-form striker. But he was sat on the bench while we brought an out-of-form striker on instead.

20 minutes ago, angieram said:

In fairness though, the conditions in Torquay were a huge leveller. The pitch was poor and deteriorating. The weather was extremely wet and windy and not really conducive to any kind of football. Some of the refereeing was very questionable and indeed favourable to the home side - a penalty and a red card went against us. Torquay’s fans and players leaned into all of that. 

Yesterday we played virtually our strongest and most experienced XI with the exception of 1-2 players and had none of that to contend with.

Coming off our best performance of the season in midweek, surely you can understand the disappointment in making hard work of yesterday?

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Right, can only comment in a way you approve of? 😄

Now you are being even more silly than ever. Read the thread. I don’t have a problem with people being posting comments on the game, tactics, team selection etc positive or negative (even though I may not agree with them all). All I said is, failure to win will prompt the usual “Warne has to go after this result” comments. We all want a great performance and good win on Wednesday night but the sensible amongst us also know that even if the football is dire and we fail to win, it isn’t the most important game of the week and whatever the result PW isn’t going to get sacked after it.