January Reinforcements

sage

3 minutes ago, Spanish said:

I will be pished if we waste money earned from our youth development on a short term loan for a washed up oldie.  Please don’t let this happen

Currently on the way to Yorkshire with a crossbow I’ve borrowed the post code from the recruitment department. May as well let one of them take me tbh as they’ve been there all January 

4 minutes ago, Spanish said:

I will be pished if we waste money earned from our youth development on a short term loan for a washed up oldie.  Please don’t let this happen

I can see it happening. The justification will be, we’ll be stronger at the end of the window than at the start. If the Bird money allows them to put it towards a loan fee for a Smith/Gregory then so be it. I doubt we have the time to negotiate for a younger prospect. I’d like to think they wouldn’t use all of the Bird money on a Smith/Gregory type. If we get promotion and end up in the Championship it’ll be worth the risk. 

7 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I see Bolton have signed Aaron Collins.  Thats one top 2 slot gone.

They might well finish in the top 2, but I just know if we signed him for £750k, there would be some complaints.

He's a good player, but he's had one good season at this level in his career. He's a striker with a career average of a goal every 4 games. No doubt he's a good player, but he's followed up his good season last year with 3 goals in 27 games, meanwhile Chris Martin has 9 in 17 in the same team.

They apparently wanted £4mil in the summer, now they've taken £750k. Decent player but by no means a promotion securer.

4 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Spending a modest fee on Sam Smith would be a great deal. Also would love us to get Femi Azeez since Reading seem to be selling for peanuts.

Agreed on Smith, should have picked him for nothing when he was out of contract at Cambridge. Looks like Azeez is on his way to Plymouth mind...

26 minutes ago, Archied said:

Sad to see bird go but the truth is we just wernt holding any cards where he was concerned, my hope is that any money we may have available from this is used on a striker young and promising enough to be an investment as well as being able to help promotion push ,, i am very much a fan who thinks getting up this year is the priority but there also has to be a balance , eggs in one basket is never good🤷🏻‍♂️

If Bird thinks that Rams and Bristol city are going to be in the same division next year . Why on earth would you pick them over us?

Just now, jimtastic56 said:

If Bird thinks that Rams and Bristol city are going to be in the same division next year . Why on earth would you pick them over us?

They'll have a lot more money than us for a start. 

3 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Could be any number of reasons, more money, ready for a change of scenery after sticking with the club through turbulent times, doesn’t like Warne’s football or approach to management as some will say, or perhaps he’s just heard how tasty the burgers at 3 Brothers are and he fancies being a regular there. 

1 minute ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I've no issue with the deal to let Bird go. Whatever, nobody stays forever (apart from our boy Fozzy).

My issue will be with us doing something stupid like caving in to Chansiri because our recruitment only appear to be working from a map of Yorkshire.

I’d rather us save the £££ and take our chances than give Sheff Wed a penny.

16 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I am not Warney’s biggest fan but he finds himself in a difficult situation. With Collins our only fit striker and limited funds available, what is he supposed to do? Either Smith or Gregory could do a reasonable job in the short-term to fill the void and hopefully help get the goals that might get us up.

If only there were more than 2 strikers out there in the world. If only we'd had all season to go out looking for them.

I'd not mind smith so much, as cover. But I'm really hoping for a nice surprise, a name we've not been linked with getting over the line.