January Reinforcements

sage

1 minute ago, YorkshireRam said:

I think the big realisation from this window is that we're not as flush as first thought, either through EFL restrictions or our own frugality. The message this time has been very clearly the club cannot put much money into signings. I'm guessing the restrictions we're still under are quite harsh but for some reason we're reluctant to throw the EFL under the bus by saying this explicitly. 

Having tight restrictions that massively limit our transfer dealings is absolutely not Warne's fault.

My main issue is the complete lack of tempering expectations from the club. Why did we ever come out and make comments about having a 'good budget', when in January we'd be having to do weird dealings like doing a permanent transfer as an initial loan? If the restrictions were still tight we should have been subtly warning fans that we likely still weren't able to spend transfer fees- everyone assumed Warne was being coy when he inferred this, turns out he was closer to the truth than we thought.

Yes it seems odd and surprisingly underhand.  Not having a dig at DC because it is his choice whether to throw more money at this.  Lower expectations = lower season ticket revenue? 

26 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

I think the big realisation from this window is that we're not as flush as first thought, either through EFL restrictions or our own frugality. The message this time has been very clearly the club cannot put much money into signings. I'm guessing the restrictions we're still under are quite harsh but for some reason we're reluctant to throw the EFL under the bus by saying this explicitly. 

Having tight restrictions that massively limit our transfer dealings is absolutely not Warne's fault.

My main issue is the complete lack of tempering expectations from the club. Why did we ever come out and make comments about having a 'good budget', when in January we'd be having to do weird dealings like doing a permanent transfer as an initial loan? If the restrictions were still tight we should have been subtly warning fans that we likely still weren't able to spend transfer fees- everyone assumed Warne was being coy when he inferred this, turns out he was closer to the truth than we thought.

Yep agree, it might have been starting off on a negative foot but more people would understand if our restrictions etc were more transparent. 

I'm not asking for unrealistic signings such as JCH etc. but given the pre Jan talk CBT and maybe 1 other if we're lucky is underwhelming.

3 hours ago, Archied said:

Please mods can we have the roll eyes imogi back,,,,,,,

you just come on to slate warne over anything and everything , real , made up or opinion it matters not ,when you’ve got to that stage your posts have no value , it’s just an unhinged series of semi insults to a bloke trying to manage a football club and not just that , it’s a club the he is right in the promotion race with 🤷🏻‍♂️

It's purely because he isn't a very good manager really, I don't make the rules 🤷‍♂️

It’s not Warne’s fault that we are unable to sign the players he wants - it’s because of the strict business plan model that we had to agree too with the EFL. The club has the money to buy players and loan players, but we can only spend the amount that was agreed in the ‘loan’ pot and ‘purchase’ pot - we have other money but are not allowed to access it !!

There isn't much that we can do about it 🤔

2 minutes ago, Keepyuppy said:

It’s not Warne’s fault that we are unable to sign the players he wants - it’s because of the strict business plan model that we had to agree too with the EFL. The club has the money to buy players and loan players, but we can only spend the amount that was agreed in the ‘loan’ pot and ‘purchase’ pot - we have other money but are not allowed to access it !!

No. We put our business plan to the EFL and they agreed with our wishes.

2 minutes ago, Keepyuppy said:

what are these EFL restrictions?  Nobody seems to know.  Maybe they exist maybe they don't but DCFC have said that the EFL agreed the budget the club had prepared.  So it is our budget, perhaps they prepared it in anticipation of what the EFL would expect and next year we will be able to spend more?  If we are still in Div1 and we have continued to make the losses recently announced I very much doubt it.

14 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Yep agree, it might have been starting off on a negative foot but more people would understand if our restrictions etc were more transparent. 

I'm not asking for unrealistic signings such as JCH etc. but given the pre Jan talk CBT and maybe 1 other if we're lucky is underwhelming.

I agree, think most fans feel similar, and this is where any perceived 'panic' is starting to come from. We all saw how lack of squad depth last season cost us. We're all desperate not to see the same happen again. 

Warne's not innocent in building expectation either as he's mentioned repeatedly recently wanting to get bodies through the door. However I've always got the impression from little things said here and there that he's actually finding it tough to get the players he wants, simply due to the restrictions placed upon him and the club.

It'd be fascinating to see how different our squad would look, and who Warne would have signed, if we didn't have any financial issues; as I suspect this is limiting our transfer dealings far more than many realise. 

6 minutes ago, BobdeBilder said:

I think it's more like we had to give the EFL a business they would let us have.

If our budget and restrictions are now so onerous how come we signed so many good players under Rosenior? We were told our budget wasn't all used last season weren't we, and that this seasons is 'better' weren't we?

Edited by RoyMac5

7 minutes ago, BobdeBilder said:

I think it's more like we had to give the EFL a business they would let us have.

possibly but unless you are DC or SP that can't be certain.  if you present a budget to your boss and it is agreed without challenge then you missed a chance to make it more favourable to you

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

If our budget and restrictions are now so onerous how come we signed so many good players under Rosenior? We were told our budget wasn't all used last season weren't and this seasons is better weren't we?

Define good? The reason we are so desperate to do business is to get better, younger players than we hastily threw together last summer. Not blaming Rosenior for that, the situation was dire. But to suggest we got world beaters is disingenuous when they were largely over the hill and on bigger wages than average league one players.

You're right on the second point. At the very least, we were lead down a little garden path to believing this season's budget would be fine. Now you could argue the competitive budget Clowes said is right given our league position, but the implications of what he said were not interpreted as it was seemingly meant.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

If our budget and restrictions are now so onerous how come we signed so many good players under Rosenior? We were told our budget wasn't all used last season weren't and this seasons is better weren't we?

Because it'll be tied to loss limits and thresholds. When you have literally 3 senior players to your name, these values won't be high, whereas with a full squad, they will be. Hope this helps 👍

1 minute ago, StarterForTen said:

But it’s similar to maths homework. There may a number of different ways you can do the sum but there is only one answer that the teacher will tick. 

but in this calculation there will be many potential answers as long as it compliant with the standard expenditure rules.